Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 07:52 AM

864 posts, read 1,454,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Lord, knows, I appreciate fit female bodies as much as the next man.

But frankly, I have sometimes avoided showing too much interest in women who are extremely fit. I exercise myself, and I've learned that trying to maintaining a "perfect" body requires a HUGE amount of effort. People can do it, but those that do are left with time for little else. Most of the fabulously fit people I've met are boring. All they talk about, all they seem interested in, is exercise and diet. That gets old pretty fast. I am sure women have found the same is often true of very fit men. Does anyone agree?
From the female perspective, I totally agree. I am in shape (and work to keep it that way through exercise and eating relatively healthy...the key word being relatively lol ) but I am not into guys who are obsessed with going to the gym, and talk about it incessantly. I live in Colorado, which is a very "fitness-obsessed" state, and there are SO many people here who think you are a slacker if you aren't working out, hiking, skiing, boarding, cycling or the like as often as possible. I ride my horse three to four days a week, eat healthy, and stay away from cigarettes, alcohol and drugs...that's enough healthy for me, lol.

Last edited by NoDoubt1993; 10-05-2012 at 08:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 08:03 AM

496 posts, read 941,004 times
Quote:

But frankly, I have sometimes avoided showing too much interest in women who are extremely fit. I exercise myself, and I've learned that trying to maintaining a "perfect" body requires a HUGE amount of effort. People can do it, but those that do are left with time for little else. Most of the fabulously fit people I've met are boring. All they talk about, all they seem interested in, is exercise and diet. That gets old pretty fast. I am sure women have found the same is often true of very fit men. Does anyone agree?
Roger that. I've gone through very fit phases and they require total obsession. You can't allow *anything*, be it a desire to relax with your friends in the morning or a drink with them in the evening or a meal outting, to get in the way of your goals or you just won't succeed. In reality, though, that's not true, but maintaining the motivation you need to make sure you do meet your goals does require that you reject certain aspects of our cultural ways of socializing and norms of eating most of the time, so why bother breaking the barrier here and there. I totally see what you're saying. At the same time, it's the same as anyone else - athlete or workaholic - who is obsessed with achieving a goal. Success in big ways takes total commitment and you either accept and love a person regardless or you don't.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:49 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,225,568 times
I like the gym because I like the feeling of being sweaty and pumped up. I don't do many physical things during the day, but I love to exert energy on to something until I'm throughly exhausted.

I also like the strength benefits you get from being in the gym, I love to pick things up with ease, knowing that at one time, they were heavy.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:05 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,954 times
I can only speak for myself. But I know that my gf thinks that muscle heads are kind of gross. Plus, she says that it shows that they are really into themselves. A women doesn't want a man who she thinks will love himself more than her. I'm not a muscle head, but I keep fit. I have a medium cut built. Do I want to look like Arnold? NO. My upper body probably looks identical to Stallone in the movie First blood. He had a better six pack. I was never one to harp on the whole six pack thing. But my chest, shoulders and arms are about the same. In today's standards of meatheads, that's really not that big.

I actually prefer women to just have a flat stomach. My gf does. Six packs on women look to tough. I like the more feminine look. But that's just my opinion.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:11 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoubt1993 View Post
From the female perspective, I totally agree. I am in shape (and work to keep it that way through exercise and eating relatively healthy...the key word being relatively lol ) but I am not into guys who are obsessed with going to the gym, and talk about it incessantly. I live in Colorado, which is a very "fitness-obsessed" state, and there are SO many people here who think you are a slacker if you aren't working out, hiking, skiing, boarding, cycling or the like as often as possible. I ride my horse three to four days a week, eat healthy, and stay away from cigarettes, alcohol and drugs...that's enough healthy for me, lol.
ME TOO! Colorado is full of gym rats/fitness buffs. I appreciate a guy that works out and takes care of himself, but I have no interest to spend hours of the day in the gym or climbing 14ers every weekend.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I can only speak for myself. But I know that my gf thinks that muscle heads are kind of gross. Plus, she says that it shows that they are really into themselves. A women doesn't want a man who she thinks will love himself more than her. I'm not a muscle head, but I keep fit. I have a medium cut built. Do I want to look like Arnold? NO. My upper body probably looks identical to Stallone in the movie First blood. He had a better six pack. I was never one to harp on the whole six pack thing. But my chest, shoulders and arms are about the same. In today's standards of meatheads, that's really not that big.

I actually prefer women to just have a flat stomach. My gf does. Six packs on women look to tough. I like the more feminine look. But that's just my opinion.
I don't train for looks as much as I do for utility and pleasure.

Bonsai sometimes requires handling an old, tall tree with a thick trunk, making it weigh well over 200 pounds. It's really nice to be able to handle those trees, especially seeing that my local bonsai club contains mostly old people that would've struggled to move such artwork.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:03 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
I doubt your issue in the OP is just with fitness. Anyone who gets so involved in any subject that it becomes all they do or talk about can quite quickly become unattractive and even annoying. We are a species prone to extremes and when we reach them we become difficult to be around.

Myself and the girls I am currently in a relationship with are very much into fitness but we do not let it dominate our lives. I run for an hour each morning with my wolf and cycle an hour every night with him again to make him sprint. I do Capoeira and Brazillian Jujitsu with the girls at least once a week, sometimes twice.

So we are - compared to our peers and circle of friends at least - extremely fit. I have to be as a relationship with two woman is taxing physically as is life with a wolf - so both together is a challange. They are massively fit too. But we do it all without it impacting the rest of our life - or in any way dominating our conversations with family, friends and peers.

Balance in life is the key.
Good man!

Wait a second.........two women and a wolf? I don't know which is scarier.

No wonder you work out so doggone much.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:15 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
I think this goes both ways. I am a woman and I do not care for these men that are muscle bound, like the ones that compete. As far as men go I would uncerstand why they might not like women like this. The women look really masculine that are heavy into weights training.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:04 PM

415 posts, read 615,762 times
Quote:

I avoid fit men myself - by fit I mean they look like they spend a ton of time at the gym and do nothing but. I've had quite a few like me though because I eat healthy and run/walk 25+ miles a week everyday before work. I don't look like a "fit" woman though. Still 10 pounds overweight, but I've been told it is obvious that I work out.

I prefer a man who is more like me - works out and LIKES to work out - but doesn't look perfect. I just like to explore, occasionally go on a hike, maybe try some stand up paddling, etc.

I caved and dated one of the fit men who chased after me once - boy was that a bad idea. He whined about my soft middle, all he did was work and go to the gym. No way I'd get to go on a fun hike with a picnic afterwards with him.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:19 PM

People who have a home gym only need to use it for 45 min a day. We still have plenty of time to do other stuff. Moreover, some of us cut back on tv and computer time, leaving time for other stuff.

But yes we are strict with what we eat though it shouldn't be a big deal to others .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships