Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 09:24 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times

Advertisements

You should go just to get out and explore and have fun with no intentions/expectations. Let whatever happens happen, whether you are alone or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 10:49 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,054 times
I go out to bars alone because none of my friends like to drink before 1500. When I told a friend I do that, she was horrified at the thought of going to a bar....alone. Picking up someone is the last thing on my mind.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:58 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
You're a female so the rules don't apply. You could show up in a bathrobe and slippers and at least a few guys would try to talk to you. However, that does not work for men.
From personal experience, that isn't true. Well, not so much the bathrobe and slippers thing, but I've gone to bars alone after work and ended up chatting with the bartender. I only got approached a few times and it was always by men in their 60s or older, never anyone around my age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamCharger1985 View Post
They are going to wonder why you have no friends. Social proof means a lot to women and there is a stigma against single guys in a bar. They are often labelled as "creepy".

That alone sinks your chances to almost nothing.
Depends on what you're doing. If you're standing in the corner alone with a beer staring at everyone and making them uncomfortable then yes, you'll probably be labeled as creepy. If you engage people and at least try to chat them up without making sexual remarks or staring at their chests it's much less likely you'll be called creepy.

At my local watering hole most of us show up alone, mostly because everyone there is super friendly and accepting of everyone. I go there alone all the time because more than likely I'll end up knowing at least a few people or at the very least meet a few people to hang out with.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:39 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Quote:
You're a female so the rules don't apply. You could show up in a bathrobe and slippers and at least a few guys would try to talk to you. However, that does not work for men.
You're going to the wrong places. You need to hang out where the bikers, goths and girls with hair between their legs and tatoos hang out.

I'm dead serious.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:17 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
Thoughts on going to bars alone for this? To meet people and women in general? It seems unavoidably awkwards to approach people who are already in groups and it's just you; it's like you're just butting into their conversation/hang out. I'm not shy, it just is unavoidably awkward/weird and maybe a bit rude.

It's not like I don't have friend to go with, hell, one friend of mine is in a "sarging" meetup group. But I don't think any of them want to go out late, and they might be kinda *******. I took two guys (one of which was mr. sarging) to a match.com mixer, they didn't get any numbers, didn't talk much. I got two could have gotten more with more time/less dilly dallying
I've done it many times before. In fact, I've traveled across the world completely alone (of course, I met people on the way). I've gone to crowded bars and clubs completely alone.
I've made many friends and have met many girls this way.

Of course, it's more comfortable going out with a friend or a wing, but sometimes you have to push your comfort zone to get what you want.

I've noticed in life that many people have limiting beliefs about what you can and cannot do (this is something you see often on these forums), but it's all nonsense. There is nothing physically stopping you from doing this or anything else. It's all in your mind.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you do better at match.com mixers, why not stick with what works? Why do random bars? It's a lot easier to approach people at events that are clearly intended for that purpose.
Easier is almost never better.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
The only rules that exist are the ones that are self-imposed.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:09 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to CaptainJack87 again."

Old 10-06-2012, 03:27 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,023 times
I'll tell you one thing that's worked for a friend before.

He would go out to a lounge (bar, upscale bar, etc, will work I think but not a club) by himself. Thing is, he didn't mope or look sad, he looked like he was waiting for someone and looked interested and upbeat about what was going on around him.

After awhile, he was approached by a woman or women, she/they asked why he was alone and if he was waiting for someone. He said he was waiting for his boy, and he isn't answering his phone, as they were supposed to meet up. The girl or girls would invited him to their area with others and each time, he's either hooked up with a girl from the group or got a number, then later close the deal.

If a group or female asks why you're alone, tell them you're waiting for your boy/a friend and ask if you can chill with them until he arrives. Later, just make up a reason why your friend never showed if they ever ask. My friend always says his boy later texts him and he blew him off after he got a call from a jump off.

The key is to look like you're enjoying yourself and you're approachable.

Btw, he's not gorgeous by any stretch but gives off a ton of confidence and has a good personality.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:18 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,291 times
Yeah I should clarify, I'm thinking going to my corner bar (pffff.. like Bergen county is full of bars, I just happen to live a blick near one that's small and really a dedicated bar), could play pool or darts to kill the time.
Going out to Hoboken, I think I'll need to bring friends
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships