Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 06:29 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there are those of us who have been hurt before often tend to wait for the other shoe to drop when a new relationship is going good. What makes us gun shy? So to speak. How do we get do get the idea that a new relationship is going to end badly? This is something normally I'd never do but after my marriage ended & the past flame was extinguished I keep thinking or looking for something to go wrong. Any advice from those who have been though this themselves? The women I'm seeing has done nothing to get my spidey sense tingling & I think that scares me itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 06:32 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
I'm going to have to start with with fact that you used the term "get my spidey sense tingling" as a starting point.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:34 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
Don't go into new relationships with insecurities. Spend time getting to know who you are a person outside of a relationship. Going into a relationship without being secure in yourself is like trying to fight a battle you can't win. If you get involved with someone and you distrust them, this isn't going to magically go away some day. It needs not have been there in the first place. My advice to you is just don't focus on relationship, go out, meet people, do new things, pick up a new hobby, and just meet others without the expectation of a relationship. I think at this point when you get into a relationship you'll be wholly secure in yourself, that you generally won't think about someone betraying you. But if it is always in the back of your head someone will betray you, it's really a waste of time

Old 10-05-2012, 06:35 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Sometimes it can be residual emotions coming forward other times it can be a self fulfilling prophecy.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:47 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I'm going to have to start with with fact that you used the term "get my spidey sense tingling" as a starting point.

It was written in jest relax.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:53 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
It's totally normal. I'll add another thing. You are more apt to feel something like that if you perceive that their worth is higher than yours, putting them in control. If these women are coming on to you, you are more in control. Like I've said before "the person who loves/likes less controls." I made that up. Sad, but true. I think relationships where this dynamic doesn't play out are more likely to be successful.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:40 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I'm sure there are those of us who have been hurt before often tend to wait for the other shoe to drop when a new relationship is going good. What makes us gun shy? So to speak. How do we get do get the idea that a new relationship is going to end badly? This is something normally I'd never do but after my marriage ended & the past flame was extinguished I keep thinking or looking for something to go wrong. Any advice from those who have been though this themselves? The women I'm seeing has done nothing to get my spidey sense tingling & I think that scares me itself.
What makes you gun sky?

Simple... fear and insecurity.

Do not allow yourself to live in fear my friend

Life can be scary, and nobody gets through it without at least some pain. Oh well.

The key is to control your feelings rather than letting them control you.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:00 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
It was written in jest relax.
You should be taking your own advice.

Just chill out and live in the moment. Give up speculating. Things like this are supposed to be fun. If you have fun with her, relax and enjoy. If you stop having fun with her, move on.

At my age and level of cynicism I know whatever sort of affair I will embark on is likely to end (it's life) but that doesn't stop me from starting them or enjoying them for as long as they last.

If they end, they weren't meant to be anyway so...next!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
It's such an emotional burden to be bitter. It's hard work with no pay off.

Just don't be and you'll be happier.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:31 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
There's always going to be good times and bad times. You just have to go with the flow and enjoy the good times and weather the bad. It's not what life hands us but how we deal with it that's important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships