Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 06:19 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times

Advertisements

If only it worked for younger people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 06:49 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
Good for you, didn't work for me.
This is a good answer, as it's personalized. Match did not work for me either and, anecdotally speaking, it doesn't work well overall. I know of one man who is still with the women he met on match; same for OKC.

I don't like to make blanket statements (it's completely useless or a great way to meet someone), but my experience was negative and I neither recommend it to others or intend to use it in the future.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I really enjoyed dating from match.com, and it definitely worked for me. My husband and I met on match.com and were married ten months later. Seven years later and we're very happy together!

We met when I was 42 and he was 47 by the way. We were both very clear in our profiles that we were looking for a long term relationship/marriage to someone with similar values.

No hook ups!

Old 10-07-2012, 10:49 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,992,952 times
I'm not paying for something that isn't going to work for me regardless of age.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I'm not paying for something that isn't going to work for me regardless of age.

I've found that some risks are worth the small investment required. That was the case with match.com.

In my case, it was definitely the best investment of money that I've ever made -hands down! I simply could not be more pleased with the outcome. My husband is one of the biggest blessings I can ever imagine (right up there with my kids), and I never would have met him if it hadn't have been for match.com. We had lived within thirty miles of each other for twenty years but our social circles never overlapped.

I literally thank God for match.com!

But to each his own.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've found that some risks are worth the small investment required. That was the case with match.com.

In my case, it was definitely the best investment of money that I've ever made -hands down! I simply could not be more pleased with the outcome. My husband is one of the biggest blessings I can ever imagine (right up there with my kids), and I never would have met him if it hadn't have been for match.com. We had lived within thirty miles of each other for twenty years but our social circles never overlapped.

I literally thank God for match.com!

But to each his own.
Again, contratulations. You found something that worked for you.

But, I know for me, it simply isn't going to be worth the money. Being part of another meat market isn't something on my to-do list because I'll pay it for months and months and months...And months, and I won't even get a single message. So I'm just saving me money and time.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Again, contratulations. You found something that worked for you.

But, I know for me, it simply isn't going to be worth the money. Being part of another meat market isn't something on my to-do list because I'll pay it for months and months and months...And months, and I won't even get a single message. So I'm just saving me money and time.
If it hasn't worked for you, I understand your frustration.

I need to point out though, that not everyone who joins match.com is there for a "meat market." Many people are there to truly find a soul mate and hopefully a life mate. This can and does happen on that site and others.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
If it hasn't worked for you, I understand your frustration.

I need to point out though, that not everyone who joins match.com is there for a "meat market." Many people are there to truly find a soul mate and hopefully a life mate. This can and does happen on that site and others.
Sure, there's always going to be success stories, but I'm also sure that the failures vs. the success stories aren't something anyone would want to look like. That's why they only try to point out the success rate.

So yeah, being one of the failures is a guarantee for me, so no thanks.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Sure, there's always going to be success stories, but I'm also sure that the failures vs. the success stories aren't something anyone would want to look like. That's why they only try to point out the success rate.

So yeah, being one of the failures is a guarantee for me, so no thanks.
I don't think it's really any different from real life when it comes to success vs failure. How many people marry the first person they ever go out with, or the first person they kiss? How many people do we meet in every day life who we DON'T go out with, or ever consider as a potential mate?

Old 10-07-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I don't think it's really any different from real life when it comes to success vs failure. How many people marry the first person they ever go out with, or the first person they kiss? How many people do we meet in every day life who we DON'T go out with, or ever consider as a potential mate?
Not necessarily. Some people are better IRL with communication, but are terrible online, and if he's having some success IRL there's no reason why he shouldn't put his picture up on at least a free dating site to see if he has any success.

But a guy who doesn't have success IRL has to try to have some success somewhere, so he tries online dating, except there, I"ve found women are WORSE because they don't have to be polite in there rejection, or just completely ignore the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships