Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 06:59 PM

105 posts, read 199,845 times

Advertisements

It depends on the pet, the pet's behavior, and the relationship between pet and human.

Pet behavior often reflects their owner- someone who is too lazy to train a pet is unlikely to care about keeping his own home clean as well.

If someone has a destructive or aggressive pet- no way.

Likewise, if someone spends all day talking about their pet(s) and for instance, ranking the intelligence capacity of small rodents- that's a red flag.

I'm also not a big fan of reptiles, especially snakes. Sorry, snake lovers. Same with tarantula owners. I do my best to rid my home of creepy crawlers like spiders and bugs- no way will I keep one as a pet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 08:27 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Are someone's pets a deal breaker in a relationship for you?

I've dated several men who have misbehaved (biting, drawing blood, scratching, jumping all over me), shedding, un-trained, hyper, dirty smelling dogs. This wasn't the primary factor in my decision to not continue to date them, but certainly added to the frustrations of dating them. One guy whom I just met, allowed his dog to jump into my car, slobbering and shedding all over it and myself. Definitely a frustrating turn-off.

Don't get me wrong, I am a total dog person and think some are adorable. I don't have any pets, because pets are like children and I value my freedom.

How about you? Are pets a dealbreaker? Am I a heartless wench, or do others feel this way?
That would absolutely be a dealbreaker for me.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 PM

788 posts, read 1,271,568 times
I'm an animal lover, but I get extremely annoyed when dogs jump all over me for an excessive amount of time and the owner does nothing. I had a friend in high school whose dog was very aggressive and constantly attacked me. She and her family thought it was funny and couldn't understand why I didn't want their stupid dog biting me or scratching me!

My friend recently got a dog and did very little when she had a group of us over and her dog took turns humping us, biting us, and trying to rip our clothes. We finally had to tell her to remove him from the room because her dog was very badly behaved. I wouldn't put up with that crap from a guy. I want to love the pets, not be perpetually annoyed by them.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:00 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,611,630 times
Quote:
It's not that I don't like dogs, but the lack of freedom they impose.
Dated a lady for a while and we couldn't met up for drinks after work because she had to go home and let the dogs out. She couldn't spend the night at my house, so we mostly sleepover at her place.
And on a cold Sunday morning when all I wanted was to sleep in, "got to get up and walk the dogs".
It was hard (and expensive) to takeoff for the weekend without arranging a pet sitter.

I enjoy my freedom too much, so yes it can be a dealbreaker.
Yes! This is another annoyance in dating someone with pets! This is a deal breaker for me.

Last edited by Ragazza2011; 10-11-2012 at 09:38 AM..

Old 10-11-2012, 11:35 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
I love animals, and have had many varied pets in my life, but have none now. If I met a guy with pets it would just depend on the animal and if they were trained to some extent. I don't care to have some dog humping on my leg everytime I go over to a guys house.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:06 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Quote:

I've dated several men who have misbehaved (biting, drawing blood, scratching, jumping all over me), shedding, un-trained, hyper, dirty smelling dogs. This wasn't the primary factor in my decision to not continue to date them, but certainly added to the frustrations of dating them. One guy whom I just met, allowed his dog to jump into my car, slobbering and shedding all over it and myself. Definitely a frustrating turn-off.

Don't get me wrong, I am a total dog person and think some are adorable. I don't have any pets, because pets are like children and I value my freedom.

How about you? Are pets a dealbreaker? Am I a heartless wench, or do others feel this way?
At first I read that as you have dated several men who have misbehaved BY biting, drawing blood, scratching, and jumping all over you.

Anyway, I love animals, but in a situation like yours, it wouldn't work out. My sister has a dog that jumps on people, destroys everything, and will eat anything that isn't bolted to the floor. She has to put a bicycle lock around her refrigerator because he'll open it and eat everything in it. I love my sister, and I love dogs, but I minimize my time at her place because he aggravates the crap out of me.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:30 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,611,630 times
Quote:
My sister has a dog that jumps on people, destroys everything, and will eat anything that isn't bolted to the floor. She has to put a bicycle lock around her refrigerator because he'll open it and eat everything in it. I love my sister, and I love dogs, but I minimize my time at her place because he aggravates the crap out of me.
That's awful! Why own a pet that behaves like that? Seriously, where is the enjoyment?

Old 10-11-2012, 02:03 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Quote:
That's awful! Why own a pet that behaves like that? Seriously, where is the enjoyment?
No idea. He's a rescue, a Weimeraner, and a bit of a runt for his breed but still big enough that no one is going to bother her when she's out with him. I'm guessing she thought she would get a mellow dog like William Wegman's.

He does have his moments. When his belleh is full and it's 9:00 at night. Then he'll just sit with you and watch a movie.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:34 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,011,899 times
Something I always wondered about many dog owners.... What makes you think that what you despise about the behaviors of other people's dogs is cute in yours? See it all the time.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:48 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:

Yes!! I like pets... just not living inside. And I would NOT date someone with misbehaved dogs. A guy who can't control his pets, is not going to know how to raise kids...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships