Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 12:01 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,372,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
That is really stupid. I think that engagement rings and wedding rings should be enough of an investment that it means something - but not anything that is going to put a strain on your finances. It should be what you can afford. My dad spent $200 on my mom's ring and that was pretty much all he could really afford. Years later he offered to replace if with a really nice ring and my mom refused.
Yeah, but Jersey's all about the bling. I've been in revolt all my life, it seems...

I'm not saying I hate jewelry, but I don't own a single piece that's over a hundred bucks (and those were given to me). Pretty is nice, but when you get into expensive, I get stressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 12:02 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,278,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I dunno. I have a relative whose engagement was delayed for months while her fiance saved for a ring, even as he was living in his mother's basement. WTF? That's just stupid.
The things lots of guys would do for their woman.

There are women who put a lot of importance on how much her man needs to spend on her ring for her to be satisfied, feel loved, believe him that he is serious, and accept marrying him. This could be a red flag to a guy or not. If she was one of the few who doesn’t care or even more rare if she wanted to buy him an engagement ring too (not common for women to spend money on a man they are not married to but who knows) then there wouldn’t be any long delays for their engagement.

What do you think is stupid?

Old 10-10-2012, 12:12 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
The things lots of guys would do for their woman.

There are women who put a lot of importance on how much her man needs to spend on her ring for her to be satisfied, feel loved, believe him that he is serious, and accept marrying him. This could be a red flag to a guy or not. If she was one of the few who doesn’t care or even more rare if she wanted to buy him an engagement ring too (not common for women to spend money on a man they are not married to but who knows) then there wouldn’t be any long delays for their engagement.

What do you think is stupid?
Because they were broke and were obsessed with this ring. Like it would mean something in the big picture other than a gross misallocation of resources. Yeah, I get that some people have different values, and I tend towards the puritanical in some ways (though I do spend on things others would consider stupid myself). But why put your life together on hold and spend money you can ill afford in order to have something shiny to show off to other people? It's an object. You can't eat it. It loses value as soon as it leaves the store. It has no practical purpose, except to be seen by others.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:16 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Because they were broke and were obsessed with this ring. Like it would mean something in the big picture other than a gross misallocation of resources. Yeah, I get that some people have different values, and I tend towards the puritanical in some ways (though I do spend on things others would consider stupid myself). But why put your life together on hold and spend money you can ill afford in order to have something shiny to show off to other people? It's an object. You can't eat it. It loses value as soon as it leaves the store. It has no practical purpose, except to be seen by others.
Now - if they had decided to wait to get engaged and/or married until they had x amount of dollars in the bank so that they had a firm financial foundation to start off with, and a small portion of that was allocated to their rings, that would make sense. But to have the end goal of their saving to be for their engagement ring when they don't have a pot to pee in - well, that makes no sense at all.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:19 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,278,347 times
Quote:
And that’s how I and my girl see it. We rather spend those thousands of euros she would spend on my ring and I would spend on her’s in a down payment, a longer honeymoon in different countries, etc. instead of having all that money simply wrapped around our fingers.

If women want their man to spend all his money on their ring so they can feel loved and then go to all her girlfriends to compare it and show it off and their man is fine with it, that’s their thing. But it seems you and I don’t follow that.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:35 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I can imagine there may be a few couples out there where the man also gets to wear an engagement ring, not just a band.
I'm sure there are too but it doesn't sound like that was the case for the person I was responding to.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
That is really stupid. I think that engagement rings and wedding rings should be enough of an investment that it means something - but not anything that is going to put a strain on your finances. It should be what you can afford. My dad spent $200 on my mom's ring and that was pretty much all he could really afford. Years later he offered to replace if with a really nice ring and my mom refused.
Exactly. Rings don't have to be few grand. I plan on a few hundred. If a girl wants a ring to be a certain price, then she's not for me.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:20 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Except people do still break off engagements, even with a ring. I did.
Well sure. But a ring for sure eliminates a lot of wishy-washy relationships that don't have a future (unless the person accepting the ring likes to mislead people).

When I ask a girl out, I don't accept "maybe" or "I'll let you know the day before". Its yes or no. She can cancel obviously, but I'm not going to devote a night to someone who can't say they'll reserve a night for me.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:27 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
Exactly. Rings don't have to be few grand. I plan on a few hundred. If a girl wants a ring to be a certain price, then she's not for me.
True that. It should definitely be more about the value than the cost.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:11 PM

105 posts, read 199,845 times
Had you asked this question 10 years ago, I'd have proudly proclaimed "I've been waiting for a real birthstone ring my entire life and it has to be amazing!"

Fast forward 10 years and while I do hope to find Mr. Right some day, I don't need a large engagement ring. If I wanted flashy diamonds, I am capable of buying them for myself since I've worked hard and have the financial means. I'd rather spend the money as a couple for a trip- or make an extra mortgage payment. That said, I'd like a simple eternity band.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships