Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 07:35 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,035,304 times

Advertisements

^^^Worked well for who? If it was so great why did so many women fight for change? I know.... we soft fluffy simple-minded creatures were quite content until the big bad fem-nazis brain washed us into abandoning our aprons and now the world is woefully upside down.

Gender roles: The notion that women enjoy mopping floors and always being the side-kick to a man because we have a vagina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 07:48 AM

496 posts, read 939,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I define gender roles as behavior that is dictated by GENDER. i.e. men - aggressive, protectors, hunters; women - nurturers, child rearing, keeper of the hearth.

Animal gender roles are limited to REPRODUCTIVE activities, because, frankly, that is really all that animals do. Eat, sleep and reproduce. But even so, in the wild, it is the MALES who defend the females (herd, young), except when there is no other option and the mothers must defend their young. It is the women who care for the young (ostensibly because they are nursing them). It is very difficult to compare humans to animals since their roles are so dramatically different.

The point I was trying to make earlier is that the gender roles that have EVOLVED from our more animalistic days are what allowed us to remain strong and healthy and prosper. Yes, it's a different world, but children still need strong families, love, nurturing, protection. Why would anyone consider creating a NEW model when the old one worked so well for thousands of years? And look at the results that efforts to replace that model have resulted in.

20yrsinBranson
I just... can't reach this with a 50ft stick. Trying reminds me of this cartoon...

Old 10-14-2012, 08:16 AM

19,045 posts, read 25,140,949 times
I learned something in this thread from Djuna. I suppose it was self-evident, but like the other posters here I did not stop to think about it. The concept of genders roles only apply to humans. The concept of gender roles was created to describe human behavior, not animal behavior. When considering it further it's a bit of absurd to apply them to non-human animals. One main stay is that gender roles tend to go in tandem with a bit more rigid line of thinking and being unable to learn seems to be a requirement to adhere to them comfortably.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:38 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,869,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
^^^Worked well for who? If it was so great why did so many women fight for change? I know.... we soft fluffy simple-minded creatures were quite content until the big bad fem-nazis brain washed us into abandoning our aprons and now the world is woefully upside down.

Gender roles: The notion that women enjoy mopping floors and always being the side-kick to a man because we have a vagina.
Let's not forget women all enjoyed being pregnant 10 times or so and making sure there was a clean house and dinner on the table while the man came home and expected to be waited on.

No thanks I will pass that "role".

Old 10-14-2012, 12:27 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,367,712 times
Quote:
Frankly, I am so happy that I am not a single woman these days. All these touchy feely feminine men are very off-putting. I'm afraid that if I had to choose a mate these days I'd be forced to pick a blue-collar type guy just because being intimate with these frou frou boys would make me ill. Unfortunately, there wouldn't be much to talk about with the blue collar guys, but hey, you have to sacrifice something, I guess.

Cowboys would be nice, and farmers.

20yrsinBranson
the frou frou guys can surprise you, trust me

No offense to blue collar guys, they are ok, as long as I am not being told what to do LOL

Old 10-14-2012, 01:18 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,567,034 times
Quote:
Frankly, I am so happy that I am not a single woman these days. All these touchy feely feminine men are very off-putting. I'm afraid that if I had to choose a mate these days I'd be forced to pick a blue-collar type guy just because being intimate with these frou frou boys would make me ill. Unfortunately, there wouldn't be much to talk about with the blue collar guys, but hey, you have to sacrifice something, I guess.

Cowboys would be nice, and farmers.

20yrsinBranson
Ugh, I grew up, and still know, many men who are cowboys/farmers/ranchers etc. and most of them are arrogant, misogynistic jerks. You can keep them. There are a few that are decent but they're NOTHING like the rose colored view of cowboys I come across in the media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayita View Post
the frou frou guys can surprise you, trust me

No offense to blue collar guys, they are ok, as long as I am not being told what to do LOL
That's been my biggest issue with blue collar men. I'd prefer to be with a guy who works with his hands (carpenter, mechanic etc.) over a man who sits at a desk, but unfortunately many blue collar guys come with a very unfortunate attitude problem.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:28 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,689,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
This unfortunately will never happen. Men will always try to control the behaviors of other men. And most guys try to be the self appointed model of manliness that all other men are judged by.
The bigger issue is that there is always a "model" gender role subscriber that tries to push their behaviors on others.

In fact I think most of the time these gender role things are just people preferences for a type of male or female on a power trip.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:54 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,568,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
LOL

"Gender" refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviours, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for men and women.

Animals don't have gender roles, humans do. You are thinking of sex, which is a biological definition.
So why is it that for most animals, its the females who watch over the offspring (ex: Birds)? More often than not, its not the male that has to go out and get food for the clan.

Why is it that most of the male animals are expected to go after the females (though there are a few species where its the opposite)?

Old 10-14-2012, 01:57 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,050,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
That is not an innate trait. Psychology is not innate. Behavior is not innate. Can you merchandize out your eye color? Your immune system? The only thing innate is your physiology, if that, not psychology. Maybe people don't understand the difference between these words.
psychology and behavior is not innate. However, instincts are. Instead of INNATE, let's use INSTINCTUAL instead. There, hon are you happy now or are you going to attempt to badger me further on semantics when EVERYBODY on this thread knows exactly what I mean EXCEPT YOU.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-14-2012, 02:00 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,050,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post

I am not talking about the Gloria Steinem era...I'm talking about the...oh....10 or twenty MILLION years before that.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships