Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 04:34 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times

Advertisements

Women gain weight easierthan men because they have less muscle mass. The higher the muscle mass, the faster the metabolism. This is why women who are 40+ and thin are usually muscular, such as Madonna, SJP or that woman who was shagging Petraeus. I most certainly have remained thin in part due to weight lifting.

As for the aging skin, I think that just applies to white people. It woukd be interesting to see a study; observing casually I see that black, hispanic and asian women look the same as their male counterparts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 04:52 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I have answered to your posts just fine and even quoted you. Do men age? OF COURSE! and no man here is moaning about it or denying it. If men had a hard time you bet we would be running around like headless chicken for all kinds of beauty so called anti-aging products but no, we accept aging as it comes. But women, different story. Look at all these pages of women simply not wanting to admit facts of life. Even science has proven that women age faster and gain weight easier. This is even seen on puberty.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/10/health/10skin.html

A Woman's Skin Ages Faster | LiveScience
And collagen is dependent on many things, sun exposure, race, smoking.

So what?

If men aren't worried about aging then why are we seeing these kinds of articles?

Plastic Surgeon Comments on Increase in Cosmetic Procedures Among Men

Your whole premise has so many holes in it it could be swiss cheese. Just more generalisations about women. Some of us age gracefully and some of us age pretty well. Just like some don't age with much grace and dignity, like many Hollywood stars and some don't age well at all because they baked themselves and smoked themselves into looking like prunes prematurely.

Men's skins may age better than women's but they have a whole set of other issues they have to deal with as well. I personally see many more attractive older women around than I do older men.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:03 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
And collagen is dependent on many things, sun exposure, race, smoking.

Your whole premise has so many holes in it it could be swiss cheese. Just more generalisations about women. Some of us age gracefully and some of us age pretty well. Just like some don't age with much grace and dignity, like many Hollywood stars and some don't age well at all because they baked themselves and smoked themselves into looking like prunes prematurely.

I personally see many more attractive older women around than I do older men.
This sums it up. Weight gain is also dependent on many factors. Adding lean muscle mass speeds up the metabolism, so I don't really see an issue.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:55 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Next time you go into a crowded environment, where you you have the opportunity to observe (like standing in line at the bank or the grocery store), notice how many attractive men you see . . .I personally see very few of any age, and particularly not past 35.

And to the people who say women are more concerned about aging then men - when you live in a patriarchal, sexist culture and you think your survival or that of your children depends on "keeping a man" (even if this is sub-conscious), you might do all kinds of crazy things in an attempt to appear young looking - I personally am totally against this and think the women who buy into plastic surgery, etc. are mostly shallow and death-denying, but I can understand from a macro perspective why it happens.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:05 AM

837 posts, read 1,287,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why don't men want to admit they lose their hair, some while in their teens, still, and look geezerly a lot younger? if women's collogen supposedly breaks down earlier, why do men have such tough, leathery skin at midlife, compared to women? Why do men die earlier, if they don't age as fast as women?
Men have firmer skin but for you that's leathery of course. Men admit all those things. It's women who don't. Living longer doesn't mean looking good longer. But that's probably too complicated for you to understand.

I also don't smoke, go to the gym, eat soup everyday, might drink alcohol a handful times a year. But I've got no illusions. When I'm 40, I'll be 40. When I'm 50, I'll be 50. It's called aging.

Women are the ones who want to believe that when they're 60, 20 year old guys will be drooling all over them.

One thing is for sure, when I see a woman, I can tell right away if she's a smoker or not just by looking at her skin. I cannot say the same of a men the same age.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:14 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
As my wife and I age, wrinkle blindness has set in.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:21 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Ok then, try these

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/10/health/10skin.html

A Woman's Skin Ages Faster | LiveScience

Why is this too difficult for women to admit this? One or two so far have admitted this.
Yes, women age more quickly than men. Our skin is more delicate and shows sun damage more easily. People also tend to view wrinkles as a more neutral trait in men because of our limited timeframe for fertility. Men can be fathers into their 60s and even 70s, a much longer window for perceived virility. This is why our time is more valuable than yours. Our shorter shelf life, if you will, is why men pursue women and why some women will make you prove you are not wasting her time.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:58 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,166,253 times
I think it's a shame that people are so scared of aging. I think women/men who "age gracefully" are the most attractive out there. Why try and beat nature? To me, there is something extremely sexy about having confidence to say "this is who I am, what I look like, and I'm proud".

I've had great role models in my family in terms of this. My nana was an excellent, tasteful dresser into her 80's and kept her hair in shape and her general appearance up. My papa was the same way, always keeping himself put together and active. I think they were an admirable, beautiful looking couple.

And whoever said women find younger men physically attractive and then as they age look for economic status, I actually find a lot of older men extremely attractive. I'm 23 years old, so by "older" I mean men into their 40's and 50's. Would I date one? Absolutely not, my boyfriend is 25 now but I find these men attractive. I'm sure I'll find my future husband attractive into old age, just as I no longer find 20 year olds attractive, but find myself looking more at men my age.

To me, attractiveness is something that seems to increase with age. My boyfriend is starting to get crows feet and I think it's adorable. He's one of the men I know who looks "old for their age" and it's actually what physically attracted me to him in the first place.

Women especially need to get away from the media that pushes in their face that we need to look 25 for the rest of our lives. I take good care of my skin, always will, but I doubt I will have any major procedures to alter appearance unless I'm involved in some sort of accident/disfiguration. Men need to stop believing women need to look like this. Looks are a fleeting thing that change by the YEAR, heart and personality lasts a lifetime. So many have it backwards.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:57 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virijat View Post
Men have firmer skin but for you that's leathery of course. Men admit all those things. It's women who don't. Living longer doesn't mean looking good longer. But that's probably too complicated for you to understand.

I also don't smoke, go to the gym, eat soup everyday, might drink alcohol a handful times a year. But I've got no illusions. When I'm 40, I'll be 40. When I'm 50, I'll be 50. It's called aging.

Women are the ones who want to believe that when they're 60, 20 year old guys will be drooling all over them.
I don't understand, how is eating soup every day beneficial?

Quote:
One thing is for sure, when I see a woman, I can tell right away if she's a smoker or not just by looking at her skin. I cannot say the same of a men the same age.

Well this actually does make sense. If women's collagen breaks down slightly faster than men's, and smoking causes collagen to break down at a faster rate than normal, it would stand to reason that the visible effects of smoking will show up faster in women.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:00 AM

837 posts, read 1,287,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I don't understand, how is eating soup every day beneficial?
I don't know what kind of soups you know, but mine are full of vegetables and are made at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships