Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 07:00 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
One of my flaws is I'm practical when it comes to dressing up (sometimes I wear the same outfit) and don't take too much time elaborating myself. I hardly ever dye my nails (instead I just cut them short), never wear make-up, only put on a lip gloss and quickly pick my hair up in a pony tail (if it's been recently washed, then I'll let it loose with a headband).

I don't wear dresses on reunions nor parties either (don't like them) and also wouldn't wear one on a wedding either. But I still try my best even when I forget to do my eyebrows (I have to go to the salon again; haven't gone for more than 2 weeks now).

Needless to say this create an argument with my mother. She would keep telling me that men at some point look for certain elaboration and how I'm not even trying at all.

I'm trying just that dying my nails on a constant basis gets boring to the point I start getting lazy at it and when it comes to finding good outfits sometimes I forget, do it at the last minute or try too hard finding something nice to wear but it turns out to be a rather lame and simple combination. Apart from that I did once posted a pic of me on another site and got rated a 7 overall (while few put a 6). Dunno if that's good since it's nothing compare to a 8-10 score.
Your mother sounds like my hairdresser. I don't do anything except wax/thread eyebrows and lips. Guys have still liked me in the past. Then again, one of my exes always said I had good facial composition, skin, and hair so I'm "blessed". Whatever that means, I still think I have too many sunspots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 07:11 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,579,057 times
No. Its a nice 'treat' when she does. I like it that way and appreciate the time she puts into it.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:31 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
The "natural" look only works if the women is an attractive person to begin with
Very true. If a woman is attractive, she can pull off the 'no makeup messy hair' look. The rest of us just look sloppy and lazy.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:44 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
I don't wear make-up and I don't 'do' my hair...... I think I am doing just fine.....

Could be this is how OP likes it and her mother is the opposite type.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:57 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laychick View Post
One of my flaws is I'm practical when it comes to dressing up (sometimes I wear the same outfit) and don't take too much time elaborating myself. I hardly ever dye my nails (instead I just cut them short), never wear make-up, only put on a lip gloss and quickly pick my hair up in a pony tail (if it's been recently washed, then I'll let it loose with a headband).

I don't wear dresses on reunions nor parties either (don't like them) and also wouldn't wear one on a wedding either. But I still try my best even when I forget to do my eyebrows (I have to go to the salon again; haven't gone for more than 2 weeks now).

Needless to say this create an argument with my mother. She would keep telling me that men at some point look for certain elaboration and how I'm not even trying at all.

I'm trying just that dying my nails on a constant basis gets boring to the point I start getting lazy at it and when it comes to finding good outfits sometimes I forget, do it at the last minute or try too hard finding something nice to wear but it turns out to be a rather lame and simple combination. Apart from that I did once posted a pic of me on another site and got rated a 7 overall (while few put a 6). Dunno if that's good since it's nothing compare to a 8-10 score.
It depends on the men. We had a thread on make-up, and about half the guys said it's pretty much a requirement for them, and half said they like the natural look. I've never been in a salon in my life except to get my haircut. Fingernails? Toenails? Eyebrows? I've never known anyone who did that stuff. Maybe it's a West Coast thing, idk. Relax and do what feels right for you. A guy who appreciates you for you will come along.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:14 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,166,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It depends on the men. We had a thread on make-up, and about half the guys said it's pretty much a requirement for them, and half said they like the natural look.
I didn't see that thread. Where was it?

Nope, I'm not changing for no one. I'm ok like this and as another poster suggested yes my mother and I are completely opposite in regards to dressing up and dying her nails every day.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:33 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
I rarely bother with anything more than lip gloss. (However, now that I'm 36, I've got a whole "cream regime" for my neck, eyes and face, but a guy I meet out wouldn't know about that.) The guys I've dated have only really noticed lip gloss - that's all they ever cared about (and they preferred that it wear off by the time we got home and got to the kissing part). They've always liked when I've dressed up for special occasions and busted out the dresses and heels, but most of them have preferred me in boots and jeans. Sometimes I dress them up with a shirt that shows off "the girls."

I didn't see one of my exes for three years after he married a woman I didn't approve of, and when we got back together just to hang out after the marriage ended, he turned at one point and asked me "do you still have those jeans? You know - those really awesome ones?" Dude remembered a particular style of blue jeans I'd worn 3 years before.

If you're happy with your style, just stick with it. Don't be afraid to try new things though. Eventually you'll find someone who thinks your style is awesome, and maybe he'll have a few suggestions. If they're big ones, don't bother with him, but if they're little things (like one dude asked if I'd wear really big hoop earrings sometimes), it can be a nice way to accommodate him.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:54 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
The "natural" look only works if the women is an attractive person to begin with
exactly.

these women that's saying they get men going out in sweats and pony tails were probably already attractive in the first place. otherwise she will just look ugly AND sloppy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships