Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 05:24 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,356,330 times

Advertisements

So I've always been big on making changes in my life when they need to be made. Sometimes it takes a while, but when I make the effort, stuff usually starts rolling along. Right now, I'm working on developing a running habit and losing weight, after being a couch potato most of my life and finding out a couple years go that my mother - a much more active and fit person than I - has type 2 diabetes. 17 pounds are gone so far (another 25-30 to go, depending on how I look/feel), and I'm running for a full 30 minutes with no extraordinary effort. I feel very different, but I have a feeling in another 3 months I'm going to feel even more different. (Plus there are other changes on the horizon, too, in other areas of my life.)

It seems logical to me to take a break from dating at this point, not that my dating life is all that active right now, but shutting it down seems like it would make for less clutter in my brain. However, I also find dating to be kind of fun.

I'm just wondering what other folks think about abandoning all plans for a romantic life when there's a big change going on. I don't see this as a huge decision, but I wonder if I'm making a bigger deal out of this than I should. I mean, it's not like I'm starting AA or something - I'm just adding an element of fitness and wise dietary choices to my life. I'd also add that I have pretty severe ADD, so changes in my routine can sometimes generate a lot of chaos. That hasn't been the case with the running and working out, but the possibility is at the back of my mind.

How do the rest of you handle (or not handle) a romantic life when other parts of your life are in upheaval or transition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 05:36 PM

11,393 posts, read 24,430,969 times
Don't overthink it. Putting your romantic life on hold now will only raise your expectations later. Thin women also have trouble finding dates. Just live your life normally. Enjoy feeling sexier.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Don't overthink it. Putting your romantic life on hold now will only raise your expectations later. Thin women also have trouble finding dates. Just live your life normally. Enjoy feeling sexier.
I don't have that much trouble getting dates (at least not first dates). I just wonder if dating is something to set aside until I'm done with this "phase." 1) There's the distraction component. 2) There's the fact that I'm not just changing physically, but in certain outlooks and attitudes and habits. Is it wise to go looking for a romantic relationship when who you are now might be quite different in a few months? (Yeah, I know - people don't really change, but that mostly applies to human nature at its most fundamental levels. I'm talking about change at a slightly more superficial level, but not at an entirely frivolous one, like dyeing my hair.)

Old 10-12-2012, 06:19 PM

11,393 posts, read 24,430,969 times
If you want to, sure.

I'm not one to swear anything off or change too drastically because that creates too much emphasis on whatever it is I'm doing or not doing. But that's me. This is your process. You know yourself.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:24 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,447,436 times
I would maybe back burner it but stay open to it. Don't make it a priority but if someone comes along don't pass it up either.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:25 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,453,487 times
When I got divorced after 25 years it was decidedly life changing and I have a lot of decisions to make. Therefore I wanted my life as uncluttered as possible as I thought things through. Consequently, I ended up living like a monk for over two years - no socializing or social life whatsoever. Just work. It didn't hurt a bit. In fact, it was so uncluttered and uncomplicated that I actually grew to really like it. Like you have begun, I spent a lot of that time working out. Why not? I really had nothing better to do and it seemed to be a good idea. Best of luck!

Old 10-12-2012, 08:32 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,268,515 times
I just do what feels good at the time.

If you are working really hard on your life (good for you) you may find you just don't have the patience for dating. I know I often don't.

At this stage in my life I have a few men littering the perimeters, but I too have some stuff to sort out and my attitude to these guys is "if you're not part of my solution, you're part of my problem".

Meaning, if they don't help me or support me in a positive manner, they're gone.

ETA - do you know how many aspiring trannies you are attracting by this thread title?

Old 10-12-2012, 08:35 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,222,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
So I've always been big on making changes in my life when they need to be made. Sometimes it takes a while, but when I make the effort, stuff usually starts rolling along. Right now, I'm working on developing a running habit and losing weight, after being a couch potato most of my life and finding out a couple years go that my mother - a much more active and fit person than I - has type 2 diabetes. 17 pounds are gone so far (another 25-30 to go, depending on how I look/feel), and I'm running for a full 30 minutes with no extraordinary effort. I feel very different, but I have a feeling in another 3 months I'm going to feel even more different. (Plus there are other changes on the horizon, too, in other areas of my life.)

It seems logical to me to take a break from dating at this point, not that my dating life is all that active right now, but shutting it down seems like it would make for less clutter in my brain. However, I also find dating to be kind of fun.

I'm just wondering what other folks think about abandoning all plans for a romantic life when there's a big change going on. I don't see this as a huge decision, but I wonder if I'm making a bigger deal out of this than I should. I mean, it's not like I'm starting AA or something - I'm just adding an element of fitness and wise dietary choices to my life. I'd also add that I have pretty severe ADD, so changes in my routine can sometimes generate a lot of chaos. That hasn't been the case with the running and working out, but the possibility is at the back of my mind.

How do the rest of you handle (or not handle) a romantic life when other parts of your life are in upheaval or transition?
Many people keep in shape and date at the same time.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
I just do what feels good at the time.

If you are working really hard on your life (good for you) you may find you just don't have the patience for dating. I know I often don't.

At this stage in my life I have a few men littering the perimeters, but I too have some stuff to sort out and my attitude to these guys is "if you're not part of my solution, you're part of my problem".

Meaning, if they don't help me or support me in a positive manner, they're gone.

ETA - do you know how many aspiring trannies you are attracting by this thread title?
LOL. I think they're going to be disappointed.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post
Many people keep in shape and date at the same time.
You missed the point. I'm not "keeping" in shape. I'm _getting_ there. I'm also trying different things with my diet. Oh, and also shopping for a house and possibly adding more livestock to the pack. Major changes are occurring and there's a certain amount of upheaval in my life. And when things settle down, I'm likely going to be in a very different place mentally from where I am now, with a totally different routine and lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships