Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 03:04 PM

44 posts, read 187,940 times

Advertisements

Im a Jr. in College and just saw a girl who I thought was really pretty in class. It's hard to talk duriong class since it is in an auditorium so how do I initiate the conversation after class? I do know she likes trance music if it helps at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 03:08 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
That's a challenge. Those big auditorium classes make it difficult to approach someone out of the huge crowd after class. If the class breaks up at some point into study groups, like to work on a research project, get into her group. Or sit near her, and try to chat as she's walking out.

Bear in mind, she may already have a bf, she may not be interested, and just because she's pretty doesn't mean she has a pleasant personality or that you have anything in common. But give it a try.

Also: join campus activity groups, to meet other girls.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:25 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,524,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningferron View Post
Im a Jr. in College and just saw a girl who I thought was really pretty in class. It's hard to talk duriong class since it is in an auditorium so how do I initiate the conversation after class? I do know she likes trance music if it helps at all.
Try to sit next to her (or near her) and before class one day say "Hey. What's up? This class sucks huh? By the way, I'm lightningferron. What's your name?"

Old 10-13-2012, 03:29 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,638,025 times
Seems more like you're attracted to her looks rather than you like her. Then again in my experience guys tend to equate liking how a gal looks to liking her so perhaps that is the depth of your feelings.

Perhaps try approaching her and introducing yourself then asking her about her musical tastes.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:36 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,530 times
Do what girls used to do to me. Wait til after class, be slightly ahead of her and slow down til she is just about walking with you. If there is any assignment in class to partner up on, stare at her that day to let her know that you woud like to be her partner and after class do the same as the first thing. Walk slightly ahead and walk slow so she can catch up.. Casually talk about class and then ask, did you get a partner for that test/ or whatever needing a partner would entail.

I would say try to sit by her, but that's too obvious. Usually by the second day of class students already have their seats. People are territorial by nature. I know this I've been to college. If you don't sit by her now, don't move at this point. Not unless your not taking someone elses seat, and the whole class will notice. Not that that should matter, but for many it does.

Or you can do what I have done. Just wait for her after class and walk up to her and strike up a conversation. It only has to be awkward once. After that first conversation, continually talk to her so it becomes comfortable. Give her time to think about you and what she may or may not want to do with you. I don't suggest asking her out right out of the blue. I would suggest making eye contact throughout the class to see if she reciprocates. If she doesn't do any of that, then most likely she isn't interested and at which point, I would disregard everything stated above.

That would be my advice. Hope it helps.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:00 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,524,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Do what girls used to do to me. Wait til after class, be slightly ahead of her and slow down til she is just about walking with you. If there is any assignment in class to partner up on, stare at her that day to let her know that you woud like to be her partner and after class do the same as the first thing. Walk slightly ahead and walk slow so she can catch up.. Casually talk about class and then ask, did you get a partner for that test/ or whatever needing a partner would entail.

I would say try to sit by her, but that's too obvious. Usually by the second day of class students already have their seats. People are territorial by nature. I know this I've been to college. If you don't sit by her now, don't move at this point. Not unless your not taking someone elses seat, and the whole class will notice. Not that that should matter, but for many it does.

Or you can do what I have done. Just wait for her after class and walk up to her and strike up a conversation. It only has to be awkward once. After that first conversation, continually talk to her so it becomes comfortable. Give her time to think about you and what she may or may not want to do with you. I don't suggest asking her out right out of the blue. I would suggest making eye contact throughout the class to see if she reciprocates. If she doesn't do any of that, then most likely she isn't interested and at which point, I would disregard everything stated above.

Don't stare at her. That's entering creepy territory!

Old 10-13-2012, 04:04 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,678 times
This is basic...
Ask a question...any question...
'Did you get the hwk?'
'How was the test?'
'Do you like the prof?'
'Do you know if anyone is doing a study group for the class?'
'Did the prof say x, or y?'
And those are just questions pertaining to the class..
So many other options as well.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:11 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post

Yes....in very small doses re: the looking/staring, just try to catch her eye and smile a nice smile....but the casually walking next to her just to introduce yourself, and ask if she'd like to get a coffee is acceptable. I don't know why young people are so afraid to approach each other these days...I suppose so many folks afraid of political correctness and being considered pushy. Most girls are attracted by guys that are a bit mysterious, slightly shy...But don't be too hard on yourself if she is taken.
Another thing might be sort of watch where she eats lunch, or goes to the library...Don't appear to be a stalker, just accidentally running into her a couple times in public places is ok. Good luck

Old 10-13-2012, 05:08 PM

864 posts, read 1,454,026 times
I'm in college, and for some reason, I find this amusing (I'm not trying to be mean to you OP, but I just don't understand what the big deal is...just come up after class and say, "hi", or try to sit next to her and catch her eye...it's not rocket science ).

How do you know she likes trance music? You could use that knowledge to initiate a conversation, depending on how you know.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:14 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Don't stare at her. That's entering creepy territory!

You took me too literally. I mean make flirty eye contact. The body/ eyes tell a person more than anything else that someone likes you. Some actually believe that the eyes are the key to the soul. The eyes never lie. You'll know if someone thinks you're attractive by the way they look at you. You just have to notice it. If she's never looking his way, more than not, she's simply not interested.

It's really as simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships