Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 10:35 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,441,169 times

Advertisements

A friend recently told me he could see me "dating beneath me," meaning someone who didn't have a degree even though I do. He and another (male) friend of ours both have Masters degrees and won't date anyone who didn't go to college. I honestly don't get that and think they could potentially be missing out as there's a lot of reasons people don't choose to go to college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 11:30 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,449,819 times
If you're already successful without a degree, it may not matter. However, a degree will provide many more employment or career options, and more opportunities to get a job and advance versus someone without one.

Should things go wrong in the future (divorce, say), there's less chance you'll have to pay alimony to a lower-earning spouse, as well. So, I preferred to date women with a degree and a career in place, but it wasn't a dealbreaker if they did not.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:51 PM

832 posts, read 1,414,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I was incredibly different coming out of high school compared to a lot of other people. The total amount of weight I was lifting over the 3 "major" lifts(bench press, leg squatt, power clean) was around 1300lbs, 700 of that came from leg squatts alone. Makes no difference about what others think, I am who I am. When I went into school a lot of people thought I would flunk out immediately. Turns out, I was making highest scores, A's acrossed the board, and I was juggling some lifting, the coming death in my family, and my school work. God I was so terrible at math, anything above algebra 1, I just couldn't grasp it. I tried, had a tutor, studied for hours and hours on end. All I could manage was a C in that class, but I passed it. The last class I was taking, I was approached by a teacher I had a few semesters ago. He said all of the teachers were discussing what I was doing in there classes, and decided that I should be a speaker in my class, and given there highest honors based on my grades, my applications in the classroom, and a 98% attendance record.

I did it, but I struggled throughout school. Not the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but it was certainly one of the hardest things I've done in my lifetime. And I was the first person in my entire family to have a post High school education diploma in my hands.

Mind you, I'm not like the other jocks. I don't have an ego, and I don't go around showing off or anything. I pretty much keep to myself and I don't do anything close to showing off.
You have my sympathies in math. Always first or 2nd period and before I knew what coffee was. That is what gave me my "dumb" label. That and I just gave up after a bit because I was tired of getting ripped for all A's but for one B+ in math while the majority of my siblings got all C's and a pat on the back.

You should be proud of yourself. And not just for getting through math.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:00 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,829,994 times
aren't college degrees becoming outmoded now anyway?

no guarantee of a job with one these days.

what does a degree actually signify - intelligence? lol

Old 10-15-2012, 08:04 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,150,869 times
It depends. Degrees in the computer science and engineering fields, for example, are extremely practical and useful right out the gate, whereas a soft degree in sociology or history, would require a lot of other job experience and other degrees to give you any chance of a decent job, unless you go purely academic and become a professor (in which case you better have a lot of money to pay for the graduate class fees.)

Old 10-15-2012, 08:05 PM

9 posts, read 17,095 times
why- i suppose the women is looking out for her furture. its very hard out there, even a diploma for mcdonalds. with no money in the furture, of course love comes first- however think of all the men/ women who ended up in the mama baby drama. No education -most people ending up on a welfare line or a dead end job. If you dont take care of yourself worth who will. I love the fact that women are looking out for themselves, provided they are will and able to meet their own goal and bring something to the table also a college education !

Old 10-15-2012, 08:13 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,572,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstladyp View Post
why- i suppose the women is looking out for her furture. its very hard out there, even a diploma for mcdonalds. with no money in the furture, of course love comes first- however think of all the men/ women who ended up in the mama baby drama. No education -most people ending up on a welfare line or a dead end job. If you dont take care of yourself worth who will. I love the fact that women are looking out for themselves, provided they are will and able to meet their own goal and bring something to the table also a college education !

It's very hard to land a job in IT without a experience. In IT there are no training wheels. You go in, and you're in the war zone right out the gate. There is stress, long hours, terrible work life balance, and a culture of over achievement. It can by and large be quite competitive as well. A young meek fresh college student hasn't been shown they can handle themselves like a battle scar vet who has been on many battlefields. And factor that with the fact that 70% of what the teach you in computers in school is very theorhetical, which doesn't fly in a field that's about 20% theory and 80% practical. College students in CS with no experience and only a piece of paper isn't something that employers go gaga over.

Last edited by branh0913; 10-15-2012 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: Sorry big typo there

Old 10-15-2012, 08:17 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,334,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm a big fan of edumacation.

I don't have any "requirements" that a woman I'm with or dating have a specific degree.

I just want them to be able to hold an intelligent conversation across many topics.

I've said in the past.... a formal education doesn't always equate to intelligence.

It just means you sat in a classroom and was able to score well enough to regurgitate info back......
^this

I actually look at spelling more than the degree, although it is a factor (not a requirement). LOL. However, I've done quite a bit of online dating, and it's usually the guys without much education who write things like "your hot, wanna chat". My ex-fiance didn't have a degree at the time, but he was very intelligent. His first e-mail to me was two or three paragraphs long, perfect spelling, funny, and told me what he liked about my profile and why he thought we'd be a good match. Our first conversation was three hours long.

What was interesting about him though, as well as another boyfriend (with a Bachelors degree that took about 15 years to finish), is that both guys tried to talk me into going back to school for a Masters degree. I make close to six figures, and have no promotion potential at my current job. Another degree would do nothing for me career wise, and I'd have to give up two years of my life to study, just for another piece of paper on my wall. No thanks. I found it interesting that both men wanted me to have a degree higher than theirs

Old 10-15-2012, 08:55 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,096,034 times
Default Why do people require someone have a degree in order to date them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
It is possible to have a good jobs without a college degree. Most of the people I know that are like this are much older, have been in those positions for years, decades even. The younger people with no degree? Not so much. Many places will not even hire you without a basic 4 year degree let alone just a H.S. education or a GED. Keep in mind there are a number of types of degrees a person can get, doesn't have to be 4 year BA/BS. Mechanics, hair stylists, construction workers, electricians, police officers all have training but not the traditional degree. Most women will bypass the degree requirement if this is the case, but it's usually not...

Most women want a man from the same socioeconomic circumstances or better. They shouldn't have to apologize for it. To put it bluntly, most men without a degree or in any of the above category types mentioned, are in low paying jobs barely making it. Why would a woman want to sign on for that? She is better off single if that's the case, nobody wants an extra set of stress. Men demand women to be a certain way in the looks department before they will even talk to them. So if they can 'pick and choose' their women and exclude some over others -- so can women. Too bad.

Are you speaking from experience? Men also want a woman who has some brains and if fun to spend time with. You tell us, is a woman really better off single? As far as college degrees go, many employers demand a college degree now days, but like you said there are many people who have college degrees but don't have a job. I think you would be very surprised at what some men without degrees actually make. Many plumbers and electricians have high paying jobs, and unlike a doctor, a huge percentage of their income doesn't have to be spent on liability insurance. Same with some law enforcement jobs, just depends on how many people you supervise. If you own your own business and you are good at what you do, many times you can set your own salary. Some women want to be taken care of, so they pick a man who appears to have a good income or the ability to have a good income. A college education doesn't guarantee that, however.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:55 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,031,487 times
:Sigh: One can't read the pre-existing threads with similar questions and answers to this one ?

This point has been covered, ad nauseum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships