Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 01:56 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,709 times

Advertisements

I could do a very long write up, but I'm a little too tired to break this down. But why do women feel they need to date a guy who has a college degree? I've heard this requirement quite a few times in recent years, and to me it makes no sense. I can understand to a degree equating a degree with success, but one needs only pay attention to history, and economics to figure out this isn't always the case. There are very successful businessmen and women with no degree whatsoever. There are also people with degrees who are unemployed or underemployed. So what is the real reason for this requirement. A lot of women, and some men seem dead set on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 02:28 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,575,388 times
It's all about status. For a lot of women, they would much rather date a DJ who makes less money than an electrician, because electrician's are low status jobs. Same with most blue collar jobs even if they pay well.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:34 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,729,753 times
It is possible to have a good jobs without a college degree. Most of the people I know that are like this are much older, have been in those positions for years, decades even. The younger people with no degree? Not so much. Many places will not even hire you without a basic 4 year degree let alone just a H.S. education or a GED. Keep in mind there are a number of types of degrees a person can get, doesn't have to be 4 year BA/BS. Mechanics, hair stylists, construction workers, electricians, police officers all have training but not the traditional degree. Most women will bypass the degree requirement if this is the case, but it's usually not...

Most women want a man from the same socioeconomic circumstances or better. They shouldn't have to apologize for it. To put it bluntly, most men without a degree or in any of the above category types mentioned, are in low paying jobs barely making it. Why would a woman want to sign on for that? She is better off single if that's the case, nobody wants an extra set of stress. Men demand women to be a certain way in the looks department before they will even talk to them. So if they can 'pick and choose' their women and exclude some over others -- so can women. Too bad.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:37 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,991,145 times
It's a requirement to a lot of women because they think it means they have a better chance at making more money. It's not always the case, but they like to be stubborn.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:40 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,653,285 times
Well people are free to date whom ever they want. If a degree is a prerequisate that's thier deal..
I'm married so obviously I don't date. If I did I'd have some kind of standards too, everyone does..some folks I guess just want that sheep skin....

Old 10-14-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
It is possible to have a good jobs without a college degree. Most of the people I know that are like this are much older, have been in those positions for years, decades even. The younger people with no degree? Not so much. Many places will not even hire you without a basic 4 year degree let alone just a H.S. education or a GED. Keep in mind there are a number of degrees a person can get, doesn't have to be 4 year BA/BS. Mechanics, hair stylists, construction workers, electricians police officers all have training but not the traditional degree. Most women will bypass the degree requirement if this is the case, but it's usually not...

Most women want a man from the same socioeconomic circumstances or better. They shouldn't have to apologize for it. To put it bluntly, most men without a degree or in any of the above category types mentioned, are in low paying jobs barely making it. Why would a woman want to sign on for that? She is better off single if that's the case, nobody wants an extra set of stress. Men demand women to be a certain way in the looks department before they will even talk to them. So if they can 'pick and choose' their women and exclude some over others -- so can women. Too bad.
I'm 33, make nearly 6 figures (not quite but VERY close) and I don't have a degree at all. I've been making a middle class salary for as long as I've had a career which spans 13 years. And money isn't the issue. I've seen women refuse to date guys who WERE making good money, but didn't have degrees. I don't go around telling women what I make, but they they are under the understanding that I make decent money. They have still refused to date me.

Also degrees don't guarantee jobs, and outside of the medical field, not many jobs really require degrees. Well medical and law fields require degree, but few other do. They're nice to have, but if you have experience it always trump a degree. anyway correlation between degree and success is weak overall. There are tons of people with degrees here in Seattle serving coffee at starbucks.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:41 PM

135 posts, read 146,965 times
Like others in the topic have said its about a woman wanting to feel secure with her man. She feels that the more degrees you have the more financially stable you will be therefore able to take care of her. However I will say the higher degree a woman has lots of times it means a woman wants her man to have the same.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Well people are free to date whom ever they want. If a degree is a prerequisate that's thier deal..
I'm married so obviously I don't date. If I did I'd have some kind of standards too, everyone does..some folks I guess just want that sheep skin....

Never said the shouldn't. The real question is why.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:43 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,520,777 times
It's a preference just like anything else. As you said some women require that, not all. Plenty of women out there where they could care less what degree you have. As long as you are able to take care of yourself, that is what they really care about.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:44 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
I can think of a few reasons:

1. The person has a degree and wants someone who also has one.
2. Having a degree helps with job success, especially in white-collar professions.
3. He or she may regard educated people as better thinkers or more interesting than uneducated people.

I propose a drinking game. Shots every time someone mentions Bill Gates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships