Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 10:57 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,543,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
Though I can understand that people are only speaking from THEIR (key word..their) experiences, it sure sucks for all the other millions of people who happen to be in said profession.

Meaning, someone dates a cop or two, and had a bad experience, so now EVERY cop must be an a-hole. Someone dates a a surgeon or two, a pilot or two, and has a bad experience, and suddenly every suregon and pilot must be the same, therefore they will NEVER date a pilot or surgeon or cop, etc..etc. again.

Gee, lets switch this around and use race. What if someone said they dated a couple of .....(insert race here) guys and they were a-holes, so they will NEVER date another ..(insert race here) again.

That's just not right. As a black woman, I get tired of hearing that we are all angry and bossy, blah blah. I am ME..not EVERY black woman on the face of the earth. Same thing for my job. People run into a few bad apples in a certain profession, race, etc, and they paint EVERYONE in that race or profession with the same brush. Sheesh im just so tired of these attitudes. There are people in whatever profession that you chose to mention all across the world. You cannot possibly think they are all the same. They are not.

The worst I have ever been treated was by my ex, who was a realtor. Worst relationship I ever had. I suppose I should avoid all realtors now, eh?
Your post seems...umm...angry.lol. Sometimes you just have to laugh at stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 11:12 PM

28,225 posts, read 36,688,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Your post seems...umm...angry.lol. Sometimes you just have to laugh at stereotypes.

It is really hard to laugh at stereotypes when there are never any counter images about the stereotype......

Old 10-15-2012, 11:24 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,003,734 times
Definitely avoid commercial fishermen. Neanderthals, the lot of them.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:41 PM

890 posts, read 2,266,626 times
My ex was in the Marines and he was the rudest, most arrogant person I have ever met. He though he was the s***, was really racist, and pulled a loaded gun on his former 'business partner' over some tickets while me and all my friends were in the apartment. His friend proceeded to get ahold of the gun and it was pointed in my direction. The SWAT team came and he got thrown in jail for 3 days, I was a mess and we all slept in the bedroom while the cops stuck around for the night in case his friend returned. All my friends hated him. Oh, and then he slept with our roommate/my friend while I was home for Christmas. He was a real winner....

Old 10-16-2012, 01:48 AM

12,998 posts, read 13,573,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoubt1993 View Post
come with their own challenges, pros or cons? Three types that I can think of off the top of my head are military guys, policemen, and firemen.

I have reached the point where I won't date anyone in the military. Every single guy I've dated in the military has had huge issues with arrogance and anal retentive behavior. That, coupled with the fact that I have no desire to move all over the place has put them in the "don't date" category for me.
As a military guy, I sympathize with your deicison to not date us. There is something about military culture that encourages arrogance and anal retentiveness... true. We do make good partners though, especially for women your age looking for something serious. We're employed, have good benefits, and are more committment-minded than the average civilian.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:58 AM

28,225 posts, read 36,688,530 times
I've got so many military relatives. Some retired from the military and went on to civillian jobs. My parents were both in the army in their late teens early 20s. (And they did not meet there) They went on to civilian life. My mom did it to get away from home (she went to college in here early 20s). My dad did it because he was flunking out of college (and used the GI bill to go back to finish his BA and get an MBA). Besides my parents, my granddad was a WW2 vet, I've got at least a dozen close cousins who were in the army. I think it is a really good option to learn responsibility and maturity.

So I am in full support of military men. A few of my college friends joined the army as well after graduation (and went to Iraq).

Old 10-16-2012, 02:11 AM

12,998 posts, read 13,573,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I think it is a mistake to discount military men. I was raised in a military family and I am grateful for.it because my life would be much worse without it. My father was a good citizen, was a role model who sacrficed his body.for the US, was a stand up father with discipline who taught me a lot. He wasnt a perfect.man, had a lot.of demons (possibly due.to multiple tours) but make no mistake my whole family including.folloeing generations prospered thanks.to his career choice. I would proudly date a soldier.
Thanks, Ong. Military guys can make great spouses, but we do have our share of young, arrogant jerks. I can understand if the OP avoids us.. particularly if she's young and not looking to get tied down. There are better dating options for young college students are just looking for a fling or two and aren't interested in marriage for years to come.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:03 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,261,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
Engineers. I swear, all but one I've met were robots. Hardcore logical thinkers to the point of coming across as cold! I do seem to attract them a lot though.
LOL, I have found that I attract a lot of engineers from a strictly logical perspective because I have a good resume - I SEEM like I should be compatible. I've got the good education, the professional career, the intellectual interests, but... I'm complete chaos in person. My brain jumps and skips because of the ADD, and there's little organization to my daily life. They don't usually last more than 2 dates with me.

I won't rule them out, because they've all been good people. But the personality type that usually goes into that field doesn't usually mesh comfortably with me.

My mother has a "no engineers" rule - the love of her life is an engineer. Her personality is just like mine, in many ways except she's also even more gregarious and definitely more than a bit princessy. She dated him for years, but he was never comfortable with expressing his emotions and has some social phobias that meant he never wanted to go out or go to social events. This was a deal breaker for her. They remain great friends (and I had always said he would have been an awesome stepdad), but there's no chance for a relationship.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:57 AM

864 posts, read 1,446,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I've got so many military relatives. Some retired from the military and went on to civillian jobs. My parents were both in the army in their late teens early 20s. (And they did not meet there) They went on to civilian life. My mom did it to get away from home (she went to college in here early 20s). My dad did it because he was flunking out of college (and used the GI bill to go back to finish his BA and get an MBA). Besides my parents, my granddad was a WW2 vet, I've got at least a dozen close cousins who were in the army. I think it is a really good option to learn responsibility and maturity.

So I am in full support of military men. A few of my college friends joined the army as well after graduation (and went to Iraq).
For the poster who seemed so angry about stereotyping (and no, this is NOT something you could substitute for RACE.....this is not about RACE. It's about specific occupations that tend shadow certain personalities in men).

I have a LOT of extended family in the military...one grandfather, and five uncles who served as officers in the Army, Marine Corp and Air Force. I have the utmost respect for members of the military, since they put their lives on the line to defend our freedom every single day, and many of them make great sacrifices to do so. But, even with my own family members, I see that arrogant and AR attitude that keeps me from wanting to date someone who is military.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:59 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,597,003 times
wow, thank god nobody understands my job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships