Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 08:30 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaquille View Post
Just ask him or her if you can be more than just friends, it's actually rather simple.
True!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 08:44 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I believe these women were sexually attracted to the guy from the start but just wanted to take these slowly so they said "friends first". I also think in some cases women get with guys they aren't really sexually attracted to but they have a strong emotional connection/bond and they go with that.

Other than that, it's impossible to get out of the friendzone.
C'mon now.

You seem to be a nice woman with some life experience from what I remember from my previous life on this subforum.

How could you possibly believe this?

Not only do some people barely care about looks at all, thus making having a friendzone impossible, but others who are more conventional with attraction are swayed all the time.

I have two buddies who chased women for 10 years. Yes, a decade. And they both finally caved. One was married with a kid. But my buddy has her now. He waited her out.

To the OP. Yes, it is possible for a woman to be attracted to you when she had no initial attraction and no attraction after getting to know you. I'm old. I've seen it happen.

Does it happen often? No. Is it worth pursuing that woman until she caves? Your decision. But, yes, it happens.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:48 PM

632 posts, read 1,179,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaquille View Post
Just ask him or her if you can be more than just friends, it's actually rather simple.
Easy to say, tough to do. At least for me, the reason its tough is because right now I am on friendly terms with the person I am interested in. Say I ask her out and she takes it the wrong way or is totally put off by it and refuses to talk to me. I did get my answer but now their is awkwardness between us and she will never be on speaking terms with me and I just destroyed my relationship I had with her.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:52 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
Easy to say, tough to do. At least for me, the reason its tough is because right now I am on friendly terms with the person I am interested in. Say I ask her out and she takes it the wrong way or is totally put off by it and refuses to talk to me. I did get my answer but now their is awkwardness between us and she will never be on speaking terms with me and I just destroyed my relationship I had with her.

Oh well, it's infinitely better than sitting there with unrequited feelings. If a relationship ends based on one question, it wasn't never much of one to begin with. And relationships ending isn't the end of the world. I would rather have closure than some odd relationship where things are kept from each other. But that's just me.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I have two buddies who chased women for 10 years. Yes, a decade. And they both finally caved. One was married with a kid. But my buddy has her now. He waited her out.

To the OP. Yes, it is possible for a woman to be attracted to you when she had no initial attraction and no attraction after getting to know you. I'm old. I've seen it happen.
I bet you wouldn't even want that.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I bet you wouldn't even want that.
I wouldn't want what?

To be my buddy? The happiest guy in the world because he finally got the woman that he knew was the one for her after one weekend together because of her beauty and lightheartedness. Because he finally got something he suffered so long for.

I wouldn't want to be married to a woman who has matured and realized that the hot and sexy guys and the guys who give her butterflies can't compare to a guy who is her true best friend in this world and will treat her and her daughter like they are the only two women that matter?

What's this friendzone again?

Old 10-15-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I wouldn't want what?

To be my buddy? The happiest guy in the world because he finally got the woman that he knew was the one for her after one weekend together because of her beauty and lightheartedness. Because he finally got something he suffered so long for.

I wouldn't want to be married to a woman who has matured and realized that the hot and sexy guys and the guys who give her butterflies can't compare to a guy who is her true best friend in this world and will treat her and her daughter like they are the only two women that matter?

What's this friendzone again?
Well...

Go for it, be my guest.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:16 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,161,377 times
The only way to get out of friend zone status is when the woman in question has reached a point in her life when all of her other options have been exhausted. Meaning, she's either gained weight, not attractive anymore, ran the other guys off, maybe was permiscuous in the past and has been labeled as such, or she's just simply run out of other possible men to date......except you, the friend.

I went to a college that had a TON of women at it (had a large nursing program), and the same thing would happen to me time and time again after college: girls I was friends with in college who I found attractive but were somewhat slutty and dating just about every guy they could find (except me, their friend of course) and then would approach me after they had no more options, were used and abused, asking me if I ever "thought about them romantically". I would always respond with "I did in the past but you didn't seem interested, I'm over it, I'm happy that we're still friends".

No one want's to be someone's backup plan.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:47 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,865,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
The only way to get out of friend zone status is when the woman in question has reached a point in her life when all of her other options have been exhausted. Meaning, she's either gained weight, not attractive anymore, ran the other guys off, maybe was permiscuous in the past and has been labeled as such, or she's just simply run out of other possible men to date......except you, the friend.

I went to a college that had a TON of women at it (had a large nursing program), and the same thing would happen to me time and time again after college: girls I was friends with in college who I found attractive but were somewhat slutty and dating just about every guy they could find (except me, their friend of course) and then would approach me after they had no more options, were used and abused, asking me if I ever "thought about them romantically". I would always respond with "I did in the past but you didn't seem interested, I'm over it, I'm happy that we're still friends".

This happened to me twice now, out of the blue just started saying lines like "I've always liked you" or "I wish it was you". And yes, they didn't look so good anymore. Both had kids and a low paying job despite the snobbery of looking down on me for what major I picked but for some reason they tell me I was all they thought about.

LIES! Beware of being successful in your 30s.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post

I'm just curious though. Do you think of dating this way as well?

Do you go for the best looking most successful gal and then if you get a no, move to to the next one down the ladder, and so on and so on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships