Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 05:47 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
the person who should take themselves out the equation is the guy. its not the woman's problem if the guy allows himself to be used. On top of that, how is the woman creating the situation? its the guy that is showing the interest and than staying around.

Sorry creating a volatile situation is horrible. And let's be honest, when feelings are involved, you really aren't being that logical. It happens to the best of us. I'm as clear headed as they come, but I can't say I've have moments of passion that has made me make terrible decisions. When you're smitten, you're smitten. you're NOT going to take yourself out of the equation, because your emotions have got the better of you.

That's why it is the responsibility of the person who KNOWS it won't happen to remove this element completely. You can't smoke around a gas tank and get mad when it explodes. and make no mistake, a woman staying friends with a guy she likes is definitely smoking near a gas tank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 05:47 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
What do you think is the logical conclusion to this? Look at it from their perspective and not your own. The friendship is going to end at some point, because this is unsustainable. I think it's more mature to just end the friendship there and avoid the drama when this all comes to a head. Wouldn't you think?

Hey if you have a male friend who has shown no romantic interest in you it's different. Stop being so obtuse. Friend zone means only one thing. It's for a guys who are interested in a woman but are relegated to "friend" status with them.

And a male friend is more valuable than a female friend because it's a friend with the male perspective. The male perspective is VERY valuable to a lot of women. Maybe not personally to you, but for a lot of women that's the case.
You obviously have very strong feelings in regards to this - and I don't think anyone is going to change your mind on how you judge people. I would say that the majority of my male friends all had feelings for me at one time or another. Some of them were my friends for a long time - others a short time. How long they chose to remain my friend was up to them. If I enjoy someone's company and have a good time with them - I'm not going to throw their friendship away because they have feelings for me. And I didn't use my male friends for the male perspective. I'm not sure why I would need a male perspective on anything.

I had a crush on one of my closest friends all through middle school and much of high school. Turns out he was gay - but I didn't find out until much later. I still loved being his friend and would have been pretty upset if he stopped being my friend because I had feelings for him.

I'm still really close friends with my ex-boyfriend, too. Does that also make me classless and deceitful? Just curious.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:49 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Quote:
Men do have friendzones for women. It's normally called a "jump off" or a "friend with benefits" . Men friends and associates are all based on interest and common hobbies. Very RARELY do men really hold women in the same standing as his male friends. A female friend is a "Hey how have things been going" every 8 months status. Men do not really voluntarily put women in a friend category because that means hanging out and doing stuff he likes to do with male friends. And a BIG part of being a man with male friends is some pretty male-centric conversations you can have, which doesn't transition well to a female friend.

Just how men don't value female relationships where they sit around all day and talk about feelings all day. A female "friendship" just pure hell to endure. I've had several, and there is a major time investment to being a friend with females.

All friendship are not creates equal across genders. That's a reality people just aren't willing to accept

I think you just have some very different ideas of friendship than I do. I think perhaps my friends and I are just very different from you and your friends.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:50 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Men do have friendzones for women. It's normally called a "jump off" or a "friend with benefits" . Men friends and associates are all based on interest and common hobbies. Very RARELY do men really hold women in the same standing as his male friends. A female friend is a "Hey how have things been going" every 8 months status. Men do not really voluntarily put women in a friend category because that means hanging out and doing stuff he likes to do with male friends. And a BIG part of being a man with male friends is some pretty male-centric conversations you can have, which doesn't transition well to a female friend.

Just how men don't value female relationships where they sit around all day and talk about feelings all day. A female "friendship" just pure hell to endure. I've had several, and there is a major time investment to being a friend with females.

All friendship are not creates equal across genders. That's a reality people just aren't willing to accept
Speak for yourself. These women are better friends than a few of my male friends. Now it's easy for me to detach attraction, but every once in a while these feelings do resurface. I've a few good friends that I can count on. A few of them happen to be women.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:53 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I was never that good at telling whether it not a girl was interested in me romantically or not.
If a gal is interested, you'll know it. Don't screw up a good friendship. Totally not worth it!!

Old 10-15-2012, 05:54 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
Ladies keep it real, how many guys have you slept with that you put in the friendzone?.... In your life?

Probably Zero. Once you see a guy in either a

1. I don't want to be near him
2. Friend
3. Brother

"light", it's pretty much how you will always see him.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:

What nonsense. You live in your own warped world, far away from the rest of us, I assure you.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Ladies keep it real, how many guys have you slept with that you put in the friendzone?.... In your life?

Probably Zero. Once you see a guy in either a

1. I don't want to be near him
2. Friend
3. Brother

"light", it's pretty much how you will always see him.
I've never been in a "friendzone". However I have certainly had male friends that later became romantic involvements. Big whoop. This happens ALL the time. Where on earth do you live that you do not experience this?

Old 10-15-2012, 06:01 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I've never been in a "friendzone". However I have certainly had male friends that later became romantic involvements. Big whoop. This happens ALL the time. Where on earth do you live that you do not experience this?
I don't think I've ever had that experience before. A girl/woman developing feelings for me over a period of time where I was friends with someone.

Now it does happen. I know that. But if I based it off my experience only, I'd say it never happens.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:03 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
If a gal is interested, you'll know it. Don't screw up a good friendship. Totally not worth it!!
I'll know it?

I've been dumped once because I took too long to make the first kiss...

I may be confident, butometimes too conservative for my own good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships