Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 01:09 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,927 times

Advertisements

I am from Florida, and now live in Tennessee. I lived for a 3 year period here in Tennessee when I was in my late teens. I had 3 serious relationships in Florida and some dating opportunities throughout my time there. Now I once again live in Tennessee and just like my previous 3 years here, I am having trouble with the ladies. Can't find opportunities to date, or I just end up meeting flaky people who have left me in some bad situations. Those bad situations were cases where we met up and planned dates, but in every case the women either didn't show, or they showed and had other plans. Lots of weird situations here in Tennessee. I've had some heartbreaks and bad experiences in Florida too, but up here I feel like I don't fit in or can't relate to a lot of people here, so opportunities have been hard to come by, or when they do it always turns out to be a bad situation. I would say opportunities here in Tennessee are 1 for every 10 I had in Florida.

Have you experienced a difference with your luck regarding the opposite sex after relocating someplace else? For that matter have you just experienced a difference in friendships and relating to a new area? Do you think relocation has an affect on the opportunities you have in dating/friendships/relations with people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 01:17 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Looks like I may be moving to Boston in less than a month, so I'll let you know

I really think where you live can have a huge effect on dating, especially if you live in a 'smallish' area. Where I live, it's extremely expensive and jobs are notoriously low paying, so you get people living with family or roommates well into their 30s and everyone is broke. For being the 'happiest place in the US' it can be pretty depressing.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Looks like I may be moving to Boston in less than a month, so I'll let you know

I really think where you live can have a huge effect on dating, especially if you live in a 'smallish' area. Where I live, it's extremely expensive and jobs are notoriously low paying, so you get people living with family or roommates well into their 30s and everyone is broke. For being the 'happiest place in the US' it can be pretty depressing.
Sounds like Florida to me, everyone thinks it's so great down there. I miss it, but it seems like the same as what you said about where you are as far as the money situation. Good luck after you move, it has been tough relocating for me.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:01 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
OP: It's not you, it's Tennessee. I've heard this from women in TN, too. One is moving out shortly. Why did you move to TN? For work?

Old 10-17-2012, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP: It's not you, it's Tennessee. I've heard this from women in TN, too. One is moving out shortly. Why did you move to TN? For work?

Lost my job in Florida because business was slow after the economy went down and my hours were cut and couldn't afford rent, so now I'm up here. Thanks for the feedback. What happened with person you know in Tennessee?

Old 10-17-2012, 06:40 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,882 times
Moved from Tennessee to New York 2 years ago. Definitely a big difference in number of single men and women out here. Bigger the city the bigger the pool of singles which increases dating opportunities.

Tennessee does have some very nice areas though. Nashville and Knoxville come to mind as great places for singles to move. Especially since both are filled with universities and businesses.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:47 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
Have you experienced a difference with your luck regarding the opposite sex after relocating someplace else?
i wouldn't call it luck. in short order i went from having ~20 years of local friends and acquaintances to 0. that's a big change.

i love where i live, but consider moving back 'home' for that reason.

on the bright side, it's forced me to learn things i wouldn't have learned.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:06 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
I moved from Louisville, KY to Washington DC (my second stint here) and vicinity in July and I'm getting a little more action here than in Louisville. There are also more women to choose from here who ain't attached and are actually decent. It seemed like every woman I took a second look at in Louisville was either: married, seeing someone, had kids, a St. Matthews woman (stuck up, sunglasses-wearing, princess mentality), or would not mess with black guys. Moving definitely improved my prospects.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:09 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
What happened with person you know in Tennessee?
Yes, I can hardly wait to hear this answer ...

Old 10-17-2012, 07:10 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I moved from Louisville, KY to Washington DC (my second stint here) and vicinity in July and I'm getting a little more action here than in Louisville. There are also more women to choose from here who ain't attached and are actually decent. It seemed like every woman I took a second look at in Louisville was either: married, seeing someone, had kids, a St. Matthews woman (stuck up, sunglasses-wearing, princess mentality), or would not mess with black guys. Moving definitely improved my prospects.

Great post. I am actually in process of considering a new job prospect. One is in Louisville and the other in D.C. I prefer living in a larger metropolitan area, but cost of living here in NYC is ridiculous.

Dating aside, if you had your choice between the two cities which would you pick as the place to live long term?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships