Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:19 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times

Advertisements

I have this hanging in my office.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 09:02 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
This is from Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet and it helped me through some tough times.

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
And how else can it be?
The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.
Is not the cup that holds your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter's oven?
And is not the lute that soothes your spirit, the very wood that was hollowed with knives?
When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.
When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

Some of you say, "Joy is greater thar sorrow," and others say, "Nay, sorrow is the greater."
But I say unto you, they are inseparable.
Together they come, and when one sits, alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.

Verily you are suspended like scales between your sorrow and your joy.
Only when you are empty are you at standstill and balanced.
When the treasure-keeper lifts you to weigh his gold and his silver, needs must your joy or your sorrow rise or fall.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:45 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
I don't remember where I found this, but I came across it not too long after my exhusband cheated and left, and my dad passed away, all in a short timespan:

Getting knocked down is a part of life. Getting back up is living.

These are the words I live by. Not exist by...LIVE by.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:48 AM

The only way to make history is to start something, save something, or screw something up. I think I've done them all - Ice T.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:29 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I LOVE that song. LOVE it. It's on my mp3 player.

I do believe that we create our happiness or lack thereof. There is only so much we can blame on bad luck. I am the common denominator, in the good and the bad. I own my role in it all.
Ha! I have that CD, my ex-husband bought it for me right after we got married. On a ski trip we took before we got married, we were in the bar dancing to this...almost dizzy we were sooo into it. I loved loved loved that song. Still do.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:36 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
One of my favorites.

"Attitude is everything. That’s what will determine the quality of your life."

Bill Rosenberg, Founder of Dunkin’ Donuts

Old 10-18-2012, 05:52 AM

Just a story to remember the little things.

My nephew, James, always, always, always, religiously would never dream of hanging up the telephone without lastly telling you he loved you and it was always with your name, not just an idle 'I love you,' it was "I love you Aunt T." He was the only person in the family who did it. It came so natural to him. James called me when I had to put my dog to sleep and the very last thing he said to me was, "I love you Aunt T" and I said, "I love you too, James." That was the last thing James ever said to me. James unexpectedly died a week later at the age of 20.

While tremendously sad, how many of us have the 'coulda-shoulda-wouldas' about what they should have said or not said after someone they know passes away, or makes resolutions to do things before they, themselves pass away? I feel I am the luckiest girl in the world knowing that was the last thing we ever said to one another - and ment it. Whenever I have a bad day or feel a little blue, I can still hear his voice say, "I love you Aunt T." I believe it was a fantastic gift he gave me to carry for the rest of my life whenever I need to hear it.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:06 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
"It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed." - Theodore Roosevelt

"There is no failure except in no longer trying." - Elbert Hubbard

"It requires less character to discover the faults of others than is does to tolerate them." - J. Petit Senn

Old 10-18-2012, 10:29 AM

864 posts, read 1,454,737 times
My favorite quote is from Gandhi...be the change you wish to see in the world. I try very hard to life by that, and even moreso, I practice the Golden Rule, for the most part.

I'm a generally happy, upbeat person. But when I do get down, it only takes a hug from my mom, dad, or (even more so), my younger brother to remind me about what's important in life. My brother is my hero...he was diagnosed with Autism 13 years ago at the age of four. He's been through more in the last 13 years that I will probably ever have to go through in my life. And yet, he's the most loving, non-judgmental, sweetest guy I know. He inspires me every single day.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:00 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
I have this on a magnet on my fridge:

Remember What Is Most Important.....
It's not having everything go right;
it's facing whatever goes wrong.
It's not being without fear;
it's having the determination to go on in spite of it.
Remember that every day ends and brings a new tomorrow.
Love what you do, do the best you can, and always remember
how much you are loved.
-Vickie M. Worsham
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships