Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 02:40 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,575,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
So long as forever being alone is an outcome you are willing to live, yes one should.maintain her standards without compromise.
I always find it funny how the foreveralones always have huge standards (specifically the men). Some of them probably have higher standards than your average 7 or 8. They should just be thankful if they can't get a chubby girl who isn't ugly looking, but for some reason a lot of them think their first encounter needs to special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 02:47 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
So long as forever being alone is an outcome you are willing to live, yes one should.maintain her standards without compromise.
I'm willing to compromise on some things, but I don't want a man just for the sake of having a man. I can think of worse fates than forever being alone.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:48 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
That just means you are picky. If you are on a dating site for months, you will probably encounter around 500 or so messaging you. If you can't find one person in that lot, the issue is with you. Its not like its 500 prisoners who are messaging you, its a random distribution of 500 "normal" men who sent you messages. Some will be losers, some will be douches, but not all 500 will be.
You have a point. They can't say ALL these men are losers and douches. That's a load of crap

Old 10-21-2012, 03:00 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
or, you have it totally backwards?

Where Are Single Women? 'Men's Health' Finds D.C. Great For Single Men; Miami Is OK; Detroit Is Dismal

Yes and no. Even though it galls me to say this, Capitol is right in that it doesn't take much for a woman to stand out there. The bars there are indeed mostly men, to the point where my sisters asked me if I was taking them to gay bars. Plus, D.C. is consistently on the "worst-dressed, most frumpy" lists. It's just not a sexy, vivacious kind of town. Make-up, good hair, a nice dress, pretty shoes, and the slightest flirtatious twinkle in your eye, and women could outnumber men by 5 to 1 and you'll still have a line of men jockeying to talk to you. Best thing I ever heard when walking up the steps of the Metro en route to meeting my friends one night:

Marine 1: Whoa! Do they all look like that here?

Marine 2: I wish.

The downside is that once you hit about 30, the men are just as wonky and blah as the women. If you're into politics, are a workaholic, and an intellectual snob, it's a great town--and FTR, I love it there so take that as you will. But if you're expecting glamor, forget it. It left with Bill Clinton.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:00 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I'm willing to compromise on some things, but I don't want a man just for the sake of having a man. I can think of worse fates than forever being alone.
I never said anything about being with someone "for the sake of having a man" - what I said was about standards. If you are a woman who wont date a man who is shorter than you, that is what I mean. He must earn x. He must look like Y. You are twisting my words in order to avoid proper self examination of your standards.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:11 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Agreed. What are your standards that are being perceived as too high?

Old 10-21-2012, 03:14 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
I never said anything about being with someone "for the sake of having a man" - what I said was about standards. If you are a woman who wont date a man who is shorter than you, that is what I mean. He must earn x. He must look like Y. You are twisting my words in order to avoid proper self examination of your standards.
Calm down, I wasn't trying to twist your words. I was simply saying that while I understand that it's unrealistic to look for perfection, I'm not going to partner up with someone who I don't really want just for the sake of lowering my standards to get someone. That's my choice. I'm 5'1", why should I date someone who's shorter? I make a decent living, why shouldn't I want someone who can make a solid financial contribution to a household as opposed to someone who I'd have to support? If I have to be physically intimate with him, yes he does need to be attractive to me. So as I said, I'll make compromises where I see fit and deal with the outcome.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:30 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
I can attest that 90% of responses I get are Nigerian scammers. Another 8% are over 60 (too old for me). The other 2% are possibilities, but just because they are neither of the above does not automatically make them compatible with me.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:04 PM

499 posts, read 756,625 times
Quote:
Calm down, I wasn't trying to twist your words. I was simply saying that while I understand that it's unrealistic to look for perfection, I'm not going to partner up with someone who I don't really want just for the sake of lowering my standards to get someone. That's my choice. I'm 5'1", why should I date someone who's shorter? I make a decent living, why shouldn't I want someone who can make a solid financial contribution to a household as opposed to someone who I'd have to support? If I have to be physically intimate with him, yes he does need to be attractive to me. So as I said, I'll make compromises where I see fit and deal with the outcome.
I think you should ignore every man under 5'8, ignore every man who makes under $100,000, ignore every man who doesn't look athletic and ignore anyone who isn't mixed or white.

That should open up a lot of options for you.

Just kidding.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:20 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
You have a point. They can't say ALL these men are losers and douches. That's a load of crap
True. So while I'll agree that both men and women have some unrealistic standards at times, it's going to mostly be women who live with "regret" when it's all said and done. Because, simply put, they're the ones who have opportunities knocking down their door, not men. They're the ones who do the rejecting of the guys who they perceive as douchebags because they happen to meet them at a bar or have some other unchangable quality, or because they're simply online (aka online dating girls looking down on online dating guys).

As a man, I can only regret not trying my hardest (which I'm guilty of sometimes), but really I'm the one sending messages, I'm the one approaching at the bar, meetup event etc....so I can hold my head high, so to speak haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships