Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 10:16 AM

19,045 posts, read 25,151,745 times

Advertisements

It depends on which car we're using. I drive when we're using my car and he drives when we're using his car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 10:20 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,176,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Please, please do the driving. I hate driving and am bad at it anyway (as evidenced by the number of accidents I've had).

Oh nooooooo! Don't tell me what your insurance premium is.

Sometimes it's much better living near plenty of mass transit.

GOD Bless!

Old 10-20-2012, 10:39 AM

5,654 posts, read 5,143,709 times
In our case my wife and I have what I suppose are our own cars (I bought her hers and she bought me mine). While she's the registered keeper of hers and I'm the registered keeper of mine the others are in both our names.

The only thing she doesn't drive are the motorbikes as she can't ride them and come to think while she'll take out mine once or twice a week i've never actually driven her car.... hmm.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:42 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,911,117 times
We pretty much take it in turns.

Normally if we take her car, she drives, and I'll drive if we take mine.
I like a beer or two, and my good lady's not so fussy, so often she'll drive so I can indulge.

Would have to say, can't really be arsed with all this swapping around, whoever comes to collect drives home too.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:50 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,972,596 times
Depends on his driving skills. If he's not a safe driver, I'm behind the wheel. I have no problem taking the wheel.

I was in an accident years ago with someone else driving. Consequences were not good. I try to not let it get to me, but sometimes, I HAVE to be the one to drive.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:10 PM

349 posts, read 459,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
It depends on which car we're using. I drive when we're using my car and he drives when we're using his car.
I agree with this but I have to add to it. If I am driving and I pickup my SO regardless of whose car it is I will continue driving. I am not going to put the car in park and move other to the other side(depends on how roomy the vehicle is). That doesn't make any sense to me because it wastes valuable time and he has to readjust the car seat, side and rear view mirrors etc. If we are going somewhere afterwards that I am not familiar with, and he knows how to get there, then he can takeover. Also, if we are going somewhere together and it is long distance, it doesn't matter which car we use, he could do all the driving for all I care.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:21 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,151,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaffegal05 View Post
I agree with this but I have to add to it. If I am driving and I pickup my SO regardless of whose car it is I will continue driving. I am not going to put the car in park and move other to the other side(depends on how roomy the vehicle is). That doesn't make any sense to me because it wastes valuable time and he has to readjust the car seat, side and rear view mirrors etc. If we are going somewhere afterwards that I am not familiar with, and he knows how to get there, then he can takeover. Also, if we are going somewhere together and it is long distance, it doesn't matter which car we use, he could do all the driving for all I care.
I agree. It's weird to get out of the car to let someone else drive. I've never personally witnessed what the OP saw either, but I don't doubt there are folk that do it. Beyond that I prefer to drive generally. I get car sick when others drive.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:30 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,682,483 times
We have separate cars to alleviate this problem.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:11 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,715,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
We have separate cars to alleviate this problem.
You mean you never go out together...in a car?

Old 10-20-2012, 02:14 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,922,714 times
Generally, I ask him to drive--I don't enjoy driving, and the traffic/congestion in this area makes my stress levels go through the roof. I much prefer to close my eyes and zone out in the car.

If I'm picking him up though, I'll continue to drive. Seems silly to swap drivers unless we're about to embark on a long road trip or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships