Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 07:58 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,990,325 times

Advertisements

I met an awesome lady at school. She is pretty, in shape, and smart (but not overly intellectual). We have gone out six times since the start of the semester. She, like most decent people, does not have a problem with me missing my non-dominant hand.

A few days ago I realized that she thinks that I am a Business school student when in fact, I am enrolled at the College as a freshmen.

I am the age of a typical B school student, live off campus a few blocks from the University on 94th Street, and my work history would lead one to believe I am a B school student (former management consultant).

Mind you that I have never told her I am not a a graduate student, but she just assumed it, inter alia, since I study in the B school library sometimes and because of my age.

I am wondering if I should bother telling her.

This is not exactly she thinks she is dating the manager when in fact she is dating the janitor territory but still...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 08:01 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
(but not overly intellectual).

Quote:
A few days ago I realized that she thinks that I am a Business school student when in fact, I am enrolled at the College as a freshmen.

I am the age of a typical B school student, live off campus a few blocks from the University on 94th Street, and my work history would lead one to believe I am a B school student (former management consultant).

Mind you that I have never told her I am not a a graduate student, but she just assumed it, inter alia, since I study in the B school library sometimes and because of my age.

I am wondering if I should bother telling her.

This is not exactly she thinks she is dating the manager when in fact she is dating the janitor territory but still...
Yes. You should tell her. Doesn't need to be a big deal. Next time it comes up, just make a quick note "I'm actually..." and move on.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:42 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Well, glad she's not too smart for you.

But, based on your post, she might be - since you actually had to ASK about clearing this up. Is honesty just something for when you're likely to get caught in your book?

Old 10-21-2012, 10:05 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
Quote:
She is pretty, in shape, and smart (but not overly intellectual).
Definite red-flag statement for me. The inference being you are threatened or somehow put off by a woman smarter than you.

Why? A very important question for you and any potential woman entering your life.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Definite red-flag statement for me. The inference being you are threatened or somehow put off by a woman smarter than you.

Why? A very important question for you and any potential woman entering your life.
Nah, you are overplaying your hand. I prefer the get down to business bring home the bacon kick butt type opposed to the PhD in English Lit types.

I go to an Ivy League school and prefer the action orientated over the endless intellectual banter.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:43 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,415,462 times
Based on thread title: How can deception flourish but not lying? Inherent contradiction right there.

Deception flourishes into more lies, and more lies build upon more deception and more lying.

If you can own up and be honest with her, maybe she'd give you a second chance considering she may feel that you felt you weren't good enough had you not mentioned that you were a freshman.

Either way, before you even do that, I'd question if I have to lie to someone to impress them, are they really worth my time?

Old 10-22-2012, 10:52 AM

You have either failed to read and comprehend my post and/or your logic is faulty.

A lie is stating something that is not true. Alloying a deception to continue is simply not correcting an incorrect assumption made by another.

try again, kt.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:59 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
So you want to start off a new relationship and you're lying and deceiving already and making condescending statements about her.

That speaks volumes about your low ethical standards. Hopefully she picks up on this quickly and dumps you. You sound like an arrogant douche.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:00 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
i took that to mean that he is annoyed by the pseudo-intellectual types. if things get more serious of course you should eventually tell her. i would understand waiting a few more dates, though.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:05 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,739,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
i took that to mean that he is annoyed by the pseudo-intellectual types. if things get more serious of course you should eventually tell her. i would understand waiting a few more dates, though.
Why wait? Why not clear up the understanding immediately? Why deceive her? And then you men wonder why women don't trust you? Surely you can't be that stupid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships