Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 12:10 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDoubt1993 View Post
Oh, I delete them too. If you go to your contact history, it has the number though, lol. No way would I remember how many, lol.
Thanks, I had never looked at my Contact History before, but I just checked it. Apparently, I've made first contact with 29 men and 1858 have made first contact with me. This was over the course of several months though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 12:40 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
I put a profile up on POF just for fun in early October. Since 10/6, I've gotten 649 messages. I met two guys last weekend (neither was really my type, when all was said and done), and I'm meeting two more this weekend. So four of 649. Horrible odds, lol.
POF providing horrible odds? What are the odds of that? My guess is you are not reaching out to the right clientele.

Problem with sites like POF is, if you are 100% honest about yourself, the info and the pictures you share, hardly anyone contacts you (mainly for guys) because picky chicks like you going through hundreds of candidate looking for the BBD (Bigger, Better Deal). You finally pick a good-looking loser who turns out to be a jack.ss in person (Surprise! Surprise!). They say men are mainly all visual when it comes to finding a mate and most women are emotional. Well, that is a laugh in the Internet and POF age, ain't it?

Quote:
Yes, I am picky. Everyone should be...everyone should know what they want, and what they will and won't settle for. But that's just my opinion.
Do you? I mean, do you really know what you want? Anything more specific than looks and a generic list of personality traits that only exist in a guy in la-la land? Is it also a realistic list of "I want"s? Picky doesn't necessarily mean "I know what I want". I am picky but not because I really know what I want, if I knew what I wanted, I wouldn't have to pick, I would go after it. I realized "picky" is the code word for "I think too highly of myself and all the ones I turned down were not good enough for me and apparently the ones I have liked thought they could do better" and that is why picky me remained either single or ended up in shallow relationships that failed to fulfill me on an emotional level.

Perhaps I should give that average looking girl a chance to make me happy?
Nope, the problem is not her or her looks, it never was, it is and always have been me.
I am the problem, my own objective on the path to happiness.

Nah, I am a hot guy, I will just type more BS in my profile, put more sexy looking photos of me that are either a touch too blurry or too bright for anyone to notice the minor imperfections I (might) have. I am young and hot and I will find that hot girl soon enough, after all I got 720 responses in 2 months so why settle for an average girl, there are plenty of fish out there!

Carry on girl!

Old 10-23-2012, 12:57 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,284,428 times
Quote:
Yes, I am picky. Everyone should be...everyone should know what they want, and what they will and won't settle for. But that's just my opinion.
Nothing is wrong with being picky, but you are telling me you can't find a useful guy out of over 600? Granted, at least 5-10% of those men would be dateable. Even when I was online dating, I found 10-15 women dateable and I messaged them. They just didn't feel the same way about me.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:04 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,284,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
POF providing horrible odds? What are the odds of that? My guess is you are not reaching out to the right clientele.

Problem with sites like POF is, if you are 100% honest about yourself, the info and the pictures you share, hardly anyone contacts you (mainly for guys) because picky chicks like you going through hundreds of candidate looking for the BBD (Bigger, Better Deal). You finally pick a good-looking loser who turns out to be a jack.ss in person (Surprise! Surprise!). They say men are mainly all visual when it comes to finding a mate and most women are emotional. Well, that is a laugh in the Internet and POF age, ain't it?

Do you? I mean, do you really know what you want? Anything more specific than looks and a generic list of personality traits that only exist in a guy in la-la land? Is it also a realistic list of "I want"s? Picky doesn't necessarily mean "I know what I want". I am picky but not because I really know what I want, if I knew what I wanted, I wouldn't have to pick, I would go after it. I realized "picky" is the code word for "I think too highly of myself and all the ones I turned down were not good enough for me and apparently the ones I have liked thought they could do better" and that is why picky me remained either single or ended up in shallow relationships that failed to fulfill me on an emotional level. In the end, I never had a shirt off appropriate body, so I kinda always envied those guys till I got older and my career made up for my less than stellar body structure. Like they say, "You have to get in where you fit in."

Perhaps I should give that average looking girl a chance to make me happy?
Nope, the problem is not her or her looks, it never was, it is and always have been me.
I am the problem, my own objective on the path to happiness.

Nah, I am a hot guy, I will just type more BS in my profile, put more sexy looking photos of me that are either a touch too blurry or too bright for anyone to notice the minor imperfections I (might) have. I am young and hot and I will find that hot girl soon enough, after all I got 720 responses in 2 months so why settle for an average girl, there are plenty of fish out there!

Carry on girl!

Not to sound bitter here, but your bold statement above is very true. I saw so many profiles where they would be active, two days later they are seeing someone, a week later they are not seeing someone and back on the prowl. No one really took the time to meet someone, deactivate your profile, and then be gone for a couple of months. It seemed everything was in Autobahn speed!

This will sound very CRAPPY, but a lot of these women fell into the trap of single parent who was the stay at home Mom. Got pregnant in high school or married a guy that was fresh off Basic Training. I'm not saying anything bad about any of these subsets of people, but it was the trend I saw quite often in my online dating adventures.

The women I saw that had a college degree and a career that could pay their way, were active for maybe 10 days tops and then they were gone. Most of them knew what they wanted and found a guy that could compliment them, myself was one of the guys. However, I did find myself scouring through a lot of profiles with single Mom's, who liked tattoos and fast motorcycles. Nothing wrong with that, but I was always looking for a woman, not a girl with a fixation on physical attraction and toys. I never had the muscular body and chased it in my early 20s. Now that I'm older, I let my career and education do the talking, since in reality that's what pays the bills. Those muscles will pay the bills too, but not as easily as an education and career. Like they say, "You have to get in where you fit in."

Old 10-23-2012, 03:09 PM

864 posts, read 1,454,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Nothing is wrong with being picky, but you are telling me you can't find a useful guy out of over 600? Granted, at least 5-10% of those men would be dateable. Even when I was online dating, I found 10-15 women dateable and I messaged them. They just didn't feel the same way about me.
After talking (messaging) with about 25 of them, I felt there were four that I wanted to meet. As for the others....sorry, but I'm not into guys who are heavily tattooed, pierced and or gauges, drink heavily, post pictures where they are flipping people off, drink excessively, can't put together a sentence to save their lives, are unemployed, have no education beyond high school, can't muster more than 2 or 3 words in an initial message to me, proposition me, or have half their profile pictures shirtless. I'm sorry if you think that's unreasonable, although it's your right to do so. It is my right to not be attracted to those types of guys. So no need to get snarky.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:46 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
RUN RUN RUN AWAY from POF. I had to get off it. I met 4 guys and they all were complete whackballs. So I'm back to dating my cat again.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:48 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
RUN RUN RUN AWAY from POF. I had to get off it. I met 4 guys and they all were complete whackballs. So I'm back to dating my cat again.
Nothing wrong with that. More and more, I'm becoming convinced that my cat is THE ONE for me.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:52 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
That's what I don't get, you telling me out of hundreds of guys they're ALL Losers? They're ALL douches, they're ALL just looking for sex?

Old 10-23-2012, 03:54 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
What makes online dating not realistic for me .

After reading this thread it seems like it just isn't realistic flat out. It confirms to me that I'll never try it.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:54 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
I put a profile up on POF just for fun in early October. Since 10/6, I've gotten 649 messages. I met two guys last weekend (neither was really my type, when all was said and done), and I'm meeting two more this weekend. So four of 649. Horrible odds, lol.
Wow!

I had my POF profile for..maybe 4 months and I received around 75 messages total.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships