Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 09:43 AM

300 posts, read 659,185 times

Advertisements

I did like the guy I wrote about. In fact I wrote that "I definitely did like him". But I didn't know him well enough to love him, which is why I wrote that I wasn't crazy about him in my title. My downfall was that I wasn't honest with myself about what I wanted. I told myself I didn't need a relationship, but in my heart I thought it would head that way with him. I think a FWB can be totally doable (pun intended) when you know that you don't want more with that person. It's a tricky thing, and I don't think everyone can do it or even wants to do it -- have a FWB, that is.

Thank you for looking out for me! I'm definitely going to be more careful in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 01:36 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,411,579 times
I've recently been hurt by someone I wasn't really that into in the first place. I think what hurt me was the fact that I was lied to and he had a GF.

Maybe a part of the reason why you're hurt is a part of you felt cheated?

Like you mentioned earlier before, not being honest to yourself?

Sometimes our minds can play tricks on us- be it hormones, ego, giving people the benefit of the doubt..

Old 10-29-2012, 06:42 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,302 times
I do, actually.

I think people get more attached than they realize.

You can't miss what's there...and you can only miss what isn't.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:45 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
It hurts because you let your guard down and let someone in. It is more about you at this point than him. Do some soul searching and figure out what you want your next relationship to look and feel like, and then refuse to accept less. You probably compromised your values being sexually involved w/ someone you really didn't have love for...Just wait it out, don't rush into sex....let it be a natural occurrence after you develop real feelings.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Like you mentioned earlier before, not being honest to yourself?

Sometimes our minds can play tricks on us- be it hormones, ego, giving people the benefit of the doubt..
Yes, this it totally what I did. It was a combination of what you mentioned -- hormones, ego, premature trust. My mind was clear the first couple times we hung out, and I knew that I really liked him but there were warning signs. Then I got hooked on the attention and told myself the problems would work themselves out.

Yes, it's definitely more about me than him. I hardly knew him, but it still stings. Also it pisses me off that he showered me with attention when he wanted my attention, but when he didn't need the ego/hormone satisfaction, he shifted me to the back burner until he wanted it again.

Anyway, I don't really regret the experience because it has jolted me out of my stupor. I need to experience life and the pain that comes with it in order to clarify what I want. For me, it's how I process the experience that determines my future well-being.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
It hurts because you let your guard down and let someone in.

Nooooo, I don't like the sound of that! I don't want to be guarded and block people out. I do want to let them it.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:48 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,919,980 times
Your ego is hurt - your image of yourself . . . not your "real" self - but the facade you have created . . . it is actually good that it was hurt because it is not your friend. Tear it down and replace it with something real.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Your ego is hurt - your image of yourself . . . not your "real" self - but the facade you have created . . . it is actually good that it was hurt because it is not your friend. Tear it down and replace it with something real.
Word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships