Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 10:36 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Three months and this kind of fighting? It does not look worth it to try and save it to me especially the age both are. It is not uncommon to have disagreements but it is uncommon to have those types of disagreements 3 months in and for me a major red flag for the long term.
This. ^^^^

You have a psycho-shrew on your hands. Get rid of her. Like Roger Murtaugh (Danny Glover) in Lethal Weapon, you're too old for this chit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 11:02 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Honeymoon over after only 3 months? Sounds like a toxic relationship. Find someone better. Life's too short for that.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:22 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I was kind of surprised that you and this lady are fighting like this in a 3 mo. old relationship, not a good sign. If she is fighting nasty now, just guess what she will be like if you ever marry her. I think I would confront her in a nice way and tell her how you felt about her method of arguing, and how it made you feel. Depending on her response you will know whether you should continue this relationship.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:57 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
She admitted she doesn't fight fair when "she's under serious stress" and gets "criticized by everyone". All is ok for now, I just am keeping my fingers crossed, since, her being without her own place to live, for at least 1 week, maybe 3, could be, for her a seriously stressful situation. :>(

Old 10-26-2012, 11:17 AM

170 posts, read 206,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I say really care for, however, it may be even love on my part. I've only have dated her for just under 3 months, so that's why I'm hesitant to call it that. She however, has used that term (love and in love) towards me.
Seems she really doesn't mean it though, sadly, she's not that young, I'm in my late 40's. She's in her early 50's, old enough, where you think one would know better, especially if one has raised daughters.
We've hit if off very well, but, the few times, we've had disagreements, including a major argument last night, she really gets verbally nasty and I can't be (or wouldn't be thrilled about) being in a long term relationship with someone who does that.
It's like, 2 hockey players, agreeing to fight, and then one has the other one on the ice, but instead of ending it, like the "code" says, just keeps on punching them.
I can handle smoking (as long as one doesn't smell like smoke), I can handle not have 1 thing in common that we are both very passionate about (even though we have several things in common that we like to do), but I can't deal with one who doesn't argue or fight fair.
If you wouldn't say it to your kid or your parent, then don't say it to your SO.
The issue is though, I have deep feelings for her and even though it's just been 3 months, there's been enough invested in it, where I don't want to toss it (some may say, it's been only 3 months, cut your losses and go).
How can I as gentle as possible, say I won't tolerate, at least long term, one who doesn't fight fair?
You have already answered your own question and are wasting your time...

What you are doing is typical of looking for a mate, finding potential and trying to fit them into your ideal situation when they don't really fit...

Or you can marry her and prepare for problems, eventually divorce, and that definitely will not be amicable...

I can't deal with people that argue... If you want to talk, lets talk, if you want to argue, seek a therapist... (or internet bulletin board! LOL )

Old 11-18-2012, 06:08 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Quote:
She admitted she doesn't fight fair when "she's under serious stress" and gets "criticized by everyone". All is ok for now, I just am keeping my fingers crossed, since, her being without her own place to live, for at least 1 week, maybe 3, could be, for her a seriously stressful situation. :>(
Turned out to be 3 weeks.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:08 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Turned out to be 3 weeks.
How did that go?

Old 11-18-2012, 07:31 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,674,189 times
At the three month point, you should still be easily having a great time together. If not, this is the point in which you break up. It makes no sense to put up with this level of fighting. If a 50 year old woman does not know how to properly handle a disagreement by now, she never will.

How was her stay at your place? I am guessing that it was a disaster.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:52 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
I say really care for, however, it may be even love on my part. I've only have dated her for just under 3 months, so that's why I'm hesitant to call it that. She however, has used that term (love and in love) towards me.
Seems she really doesn't mean it though, sadly, she's not that young, I'm in my late 40's. She's in her early 50's, old enough, where you think one would know better, especially if one has raised daughters.
We've hit if off very well, but, the few times, we've had disagreements, including a major argument last night, she really gets verbally nasty and I can't be (or wouldn't be thrilled about) being in a long term relationship with someone who does that.
It's like, 2 hockey players, agreeing to fight, and then one has the other one on the ice, but instead of ending it, like the "code" says, just keeps on punching them.
I can handle smoking (as long as one doesn't smell like smoke), I can handle not have 1 thing in common that we are both very passionate about (even though we have several things in common that we like to do), but I can't deal with one who doesn't argue or fight fair.
If you wouldn't say it to your kid or your parent, then don't say it to your SO.
The issue is though, I have deep feelings for her and even though it's just been 3 months, there's been enough invested in it, where I don't want to toss it (some may say, it's been only 3 months, cut your losses and go).
How can I as gentle as possible, say I won't tolerate, at least long term, one who doesn't fight fair?
Just like you said it here. Send her this thread. Hopefully others will chime in too. I personay think if someone pus out the daggers when arguing it is a red flag. I might suggest some sort of education or mediation so that you are both on the same page regarding boundaries in arguments. But, as I said...If she was so bad that you are asking for advice, she may not be the One.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:34 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Studies show that couples who fight mean don't last. It's a symptom of divorce-to-come. You're wise not to wade in too deep with this relationship. If you're really into her, insist on counseling to learn fair fighting techniques, as a prerequisite to the relationship going further. If you're not all that into her, well, then.... you know what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships