Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 03:30 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
I notice myself turning my feet when I'm not interested. Its a position of transition, as in "I'm ready to move on now."
I also catch my eyes darting away from the person's face and then back. Rude, I know....
Same here. I agree, it's that feeling of wanting/being ready to move but knowing it's impolite to literally get up mid-sentence and go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 07:01 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Good. Now I can add foot pointing to my repertoire.
Waste of time. People will not notice your foot pointing, which is why it isn't worthwhile to fake. I would guess that 1 of 1000 people you meet will think of such things, and I am being generous.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:30 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,030 times
I really liked a guy and when I was talking to him....I was playing with a ring on my finger...pushing it on and off.....I was pretty nervous. Later on - thinking about what I had been doing....I lookied it up on body Language....apparantly, it means you really want to ........the person you are talking to!!!! So watch what they are doing with their fingers, rings, the glass they are hlolding.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
I really liked a guy and when I was talking to him....I was playing with a ring on my finger...pushing it on and off.....I was pretty nervous. Later on - thinking about what I had been doing....I lookied it up on body Language....apparantly, it means you really want to ........the person you are talking to!!!! So watch what they are doing with their fingers, rings, the glass they are hlolding.
No it doesn't mean that. Playing with jewelry is a pacifying behavior. It means you are nervous and are using the ring to soothe yourself.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:42 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,870,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Waste of time. People will not notice your foot pointing, which is why it isn't worthwhile to fake. I would guess that 1 of 1000 people you meet will think of such things, and I am being generous.
Saw it in Cosmo once (the foot posturing thing), so there might be a few more women in touch with it than you may think. Don't ask me why I was reading that rag, however.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Saw it in Cosmo once (the foot posturing thing), so there might be a few more women in touch with it than you may think. Don't ask me why I was reading that rag, however.
I say go out and do it, then report back on the results.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:04 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
So I was mulling this over since we have all of these threads on flirting, engaging in conversations with potentials, reading signals and so on.

So I thought it might be fun to have a thread of all of your body language giveaways, tips and tricks, etc when you are interested. Maybe someone will read this thread and get better at picking up all of the non-verbal cues we are throwing out there. [And yes there will be a ton of overlap of course, but I don't think body language is a dead horse yet]

Two obvious ones from me, and I do it every time. Consciously or unconsciously.

1. Get closer into "your" physical space. Typically this means I'll plant myself about an arms length away depending on the circumstance. At a party or somewhere loud then that could be even closer.
2. The arm or shoulder touch. (this can happen with anyone, of any sex, but basically means I like you enough to touch you) If I am interested, then you'll get a few more short touches.

OK everyone, men and women, spill the beans. What do you notice yourself doing?
When I first meet someone I'm attracted to physically, I attempt to suppress the fact that I'm attracted to them physically. Treat them like any other woman...

Later on, when I've grown attracted to a woman, I try and kiss her, or let her know verbally.

Flirting and body language is dead to me. I've been wrong every time.

I'm just going to ask out each and every woman I come across who might be a potential...

Old 10-29-2012, 01:54 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
No it doesn't mean that. Playing with jewelry is a pacifying behavior. It means you are nervous and are using the ring to soothe yourself.
By pushing my ring on and off.....I have been nervous in other situations and not done that! It was a really unusual thing for me to do. Thats why I looked it up. And the experts agreed that it was a sexual signal thing.

I shouldnt have been so nervous though.....because the guy I was talking to and was so nervous with had his foot pointing to me...he also had one leg across the other in a crotch display.....also his eyes were shining.....later on when I was about to leave, he kept pushing the door behind him closed....one of thsoe doors that kept opening.....his way of saying stay????

His voice went soft when he talked to me. He touched my shoulder.

Never did anything though. It was only later I analysed it all. But there were other issues going on so no regrets on my part.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
By pushing my ring on and off.....I have been nervous in other situations and not done that! It was a really unusual thing for me to do. Thats why I looked it up. And the experts agreed that it was a sexual signal thing.

I shouldnt have been so nervous though.....because the guy I was talking to and was so nervous with had his foot pointing to me...he also had one leg across the other in a crotch display.....also his eyes were shining.....later on when I was about to leave, he kept pushing the door behind him closed....one of thsoe doors that kept opening.....his way of saying stay????

His voice went soft when he talked to me. He touched my shoulder.

Never did anything though. It was only later I analysed it all. But there were other issues going on so no regrets on my part.
Who are these experts?

Old 10-30-2012, 03:03 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
I am very touchy-feely with people I am attracted to. I didn't really realize it until this woman I dated over the summer pointed it out to me. We still like each other and we're very touchy-feely with each other still, but it's kind of hard to have a real relationship because she's in grad school and I'm in a very rigorous undergrad program.

Anyway one day she asked me if I like her and I asked how she knew and she said it's because I'm always touching her. I asked if she wasn't sure I do that with other people and she said she already checked with other friends of mine whom she knows I am not attracted to. Well turns out, I do like to touch people when I am attracted to them. Not in a pervy way, I'm talking about resting my hand on their hand or hugging them every time we see each other and say goodbye. I'm not talking about touching their personal areas or anything creepy like that!

Though, now I am aware of it, I'm even more cautious about respecting people's boundaries. If they break contact or tense up because they're uncomfortable, I will immediately notice and back away.

Come to think of it, touch isn't always sexual for me. It's just about loving someone. I'm touchy-feely with all my friends. It's a part of our culture, like I will rub them on the shoulder if I say hi. I will also hold hands with platonic friends in some circumstances, for example if I can sense they're having a lot of anxiety.

And on the flip side, if I don't like someone, I don't want them touching me (unless they have to, and in that case only my hands and forearms.) I get really easily annoyed if someone insists on touching me when we are perfect strangers or just barely met and it's not for some good reason.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 10-30-2012 at 03:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships