Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 02:32 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You are asking the wrong question. Would a real friend date your ex without your explicit consent?
This! If a friend came to me and asked if I was okay with it AND I genuinely had no more feelings for the ex, yes, I would be okay with it. But a friend who doesn't even bother to see how I would feel about it is too self centered to be a real friend of mine - all the worse if I do still have feelings for the ex. I would not remain friends with her - I wouldn't blow up at her but I would distance myself from her and stop making an effort with her. Either that or I'd just calmly explain to her that since I'm not comfortable with her dating my ex, I can't be around anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 05:56 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Meh. I haven't had any lingering feelings for my exes. If an ex had treated me badly, I'd be worried about the friend dating him, though I suppose. But I have at least two exes I had almost hoped would maybe hook up with certain friends of mine because they were better fits as a couple. Everyone else would have been weirded out by that I guess. I'm just not very territorial.

I think there's a utilitarian aspect to this outlook: Why waste a perfectly good man? LOL

Old 10-29-2012, 05:58 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Sure, right after I curb stomp them and hang them from an apple tree.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:52 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Has anyone ever had a good friend who started dating an ex (boyfriend/girlfriend/wife/husband), and how did you handle it?

And I'm referring only to an ex that you were in love with, and had a long relationship with, and not someone who you just dated a few times.

I personally would never allow myself to date the ex of a good friend, knowing it would hurt them inside. I would value the friendship too much to ever let that happen.

I'm just wondering if this scenario ever happened to anyone, and did you remain as friends, or did you end the friendship after you found out they were dating your ex?
When I was in college, a friend of mine had a girlfriend of a few years. She was also good friends with his best friend. They were caught naked and cheating together at a public place (a party).

Eventually (yes, eventually) they broke up and as SOON as they did, she started dating the best friend. Eventually, they broke up too. All three are still in touch and good friends many years later.

I realize life is short, and some people just want what they want, but I do think that kind of behavior is very sordid and shows no respect for friendship. I could never do that to a good buddy.

I remember when I broke up with a girlfriend, and I said on here that I wouldn't hit on another woman for a month out of respect, and some people on here called me a loser.

That's the mentality of the majority. Life is short. Get yours.

Nobody gives a sh@t about your moral high ground.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:09 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,059 times
Only if I really saw something in her. I'd give it time and talk to my friend before going ahead with it. And honestly, if I really wanted to make a move, it probably wouldn't matter whether he was okay with it or not. He'd eventually come around

Old 10-29-2012, 09:22 AM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Only if I really saw something in her. I'd give it time and talk to my friend before going ahead with it. And honestly, if I really wanted to make a move, it probably wouldn't matter whether he was okay with it or not. He'd eventually come around

Wow...it wouldnt matter even if you knew your friend was in pain after the breakup? Of all the women out there to date, it HAS to be a friend's ex? Would you have to at least think she was your soul mate, girl of your dreams, never ever seen/met a woman like her before, you two have some intense connection...all that? Or would just simply finding her to be an attractive and nice enough girl do it for ya?

Old 10-29-2012, 09:59 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
No.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:29 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,874,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
Wow...it wouldnt matter even if you knew your friend was in pain after the breakup? Of all the women out there to date, it HAS to be a friend's ex? Would you have to at least think she was your soul mate, girl of your dreams, never ever seen/met a woman like her before, you two have some intense connection...all that? Or would just simply finding her to be an attractive and nice enough girl do it for ya?
She'd have to be something special

Old 10-29-2012, 04:19 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
I don't think a true friend would ever do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships