Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 11:11 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,329,220 times

Advertisements

My wife is very strong willed person, and she's a financial control freak. I'm more lenient when it comes to purchases to make our lives more comfortable. We are both workaholics equally financially off and our egos clash at times. We have two kids together and she has been insisting we get divorced weekly, which goes into a heated conversation. I don't believe in separation and she's more open to the idea. My mother-in-law is very much like her and her parents have both separated years ago, but still cohabitant together. My parents have worked through their mountain of issues and have worked out to stay married since 1970.

She claims I have some anger management issues sometimes, but when I try to avoid any situation and walk away to a quiet place, she's always following me and continues to grill me. I even get more mad and yell at her to get away. I want to avoid a verbal argument, but she's insisting on having one. She's always backing me into a corner.

We have had another child (girl) last year, and I have been kicked out of the master bedroom for the last 7 years because I snore. I have been sleeping besides my older daughter in her bed for a long time. My daughters and I are very close, best friends and I adore them greatly. I think I spoil them, but I am working on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 11:20 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Ok, stop sleeping in the same bed as your daughter. That's just weird. I'd sleep in the same bed as my daddy or mommy when I was very young, but that was a special "treat" with slumber party overtones, not the normal course of the day. If you're that well off, you can afford a good air mattress or pullout couch.

And MARRIAGE COUNSELING. ASAP. Because it sounds like you both have issues and I'm thinking you're creating a hellish environment for your kids. If your wife won't join you, go by yourself, and make plans to separate and get custody. Because you're not doing your kids any favors by maintaining the status quo.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:20 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,586 times
You neglected to mention why your wife wants a divorce, but I will say that you need to consider yourself in this situation. You live in what may be described as a "hostile environment" and your wife sounds like she is very aggressive/manipulative when it comes to you and your emotions. I understand that you're close to your kids, but they would survive if you and your wife split.

One thing to consider could be a "trial separation", especially if it would give you some peace to reconcile your own feelings on the matter. Of course, I'd suggest that you first get to the root of why she wants to split up. If she wants to see someone else, then you have a whole other route to consider.

--Dim

Old 10-29-2012, 11:36 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
I agree with Jrz, stop sleeping beside your daughter and get some marriage counseling. You both have a communication problem.

I dont understand the point of a seperation if you will be living together. Does your wife want an all out divorce?

Old 10-29-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I agree with Jrz, stop sleeping beside your daughter and get some marriage counseling. You both have a communication problem.

I dont understand the point of a seperation if you will be living together. Does your wife want an all out divorce?
The other issue I forgot to mention, is that our house has been occupied by my mother-in-law, not by my choice, but she did help out with our children after they were born. When I threatened to move her to my sister-in-law's place, I also got threatened with separation/divorce speech. When my mother-in-law is gone for an extended period of time, my wife and I get along a lot better.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:51 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
The other issue I forgot to mention, is that our house has been occupied by my mother-in-law...
And you want to stay in this environment?

I would be heading for the hills with a quickness!

Old 10-29-2012, 11:51 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
The other issue I forgot to mention, is that our house has been occupied by my mother-in-law, not by my choice, but she did help out with our children after they were born. When I threatened to move her to my sister-in-law's place, I also got threatened with separation/divorce speech. When my mother-in-law is gone for an extended period of time, my wife and I get along a lot better.
Have you tried NOT threatening and try to have a civil adult convo with your wife about how although you appriciate all the help from your MIL with the children during a difficut time your family now needs to settle into a routine.

There seems to be much threatening going on in your family. You two need to figure a way to sit down and communicate in a reasonable manner.

And if your MIL is there maybe you should sleep where she is sleeping and she should be sharing a room with your daughter.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Have you tried NOT threatening and try to have a civil adult convo with your wife about how although you appriciate all the help from your MIL with the children during a difficut time your family now needs to settle into a routine.

There seems to be much threatening going on in your family. You two need to figure a way to sit down and communicate in a reasonable manner.

And if your MIL is there maybe you should sleep where she is sleeping and she should be sharing a room with your daughter.

I need to write her an email and tell her to please stay out of my affairs, and that she needs to stay away from us. Also thanking her for her help, but now it's becoming a burden on our marriage.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:02 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,586 times
Quote:
Or...he could sleep with the MIL. That might help settle all of the tension in the house.

--Dim

Old 10-29-2012, 12:04 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,920,389 times
OP, you made the mistake of getting married in the first place and there's really nothing more I can say about it.

You messed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships