U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do couples match up evenly?
Women's physical attractiveness equal to man's physical attractiveness? 27 40.30%
Women's physical attractiveness on par with man's financial status? 40 59.70%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 10:41 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,304,012 times

Advertisements

They match up on whatever the hell they want to.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I tell my girl her looks got her her first date, her intelect (IQ:140, several points higher than mine) got her her second!

We laugh about this, but it's fairly accurate.

For her I think it's a trifecta of intelect, money (I'm not Rich, but I have enough to do what I choose) and looks.

Sex drive is important to us both.

In short:
Poll fail!
I did read a study that suggested that similarities in IQ (as in, less than a 10 point difference) was more important than any other factor in successful LTRs.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:49 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,227,168 times
You people make it all too complicated... all you have to do is see if your Garanimals hang-tag matches his/hers and BOOM you know you two are matched.

Man, wouldn't it be interesting if it were that simple.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:01 AM

10,938 posts, read 10,405,625 times
There is no large data set, I know of, that compares the attractiveness of couples, although there are small sample studies from social psychology contingent behavior experiments that deal with selection. But it's hard to draw conclusions from these samples about the US population. In general, mating studies in the US show that couples mate assortively in terms of age, race, religion and socio-economic background. That is to say, they pick people like themselves in terms of these attributes.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:19 PM

10,157 posts, read 7,298,614 times
Here's how I see it: Attractive people date attractive people. Average looking people date average looking people. Ugly people get left out.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Here's how I see it: Attractive people date attractive people. Average looking people date average looking people. Ugly people get left out.
Meh, not necessarily. When my wife and I were newlyweds, we were in an apartment. Our neighbors were young, but possibly the ugliest couple you'd ever meet. She was somewhat overweight (not huge, but overweight) and had a pretty unattractive face, although she was quite sweet. I will say her butt could have been pretty nice if she lost a few pounds, but that was about her only redeeming physical feature.

He looked like a cross between Jonah Hill and a sasquatch. These were people that very few others of either gender would consider attractive.

Yet they had what sounded like a very active and adventurous sex life, multiple times daily, he was delivering it to her very well and she very eagerly responded. We heard it all.

So we decided to make it a contest and have sex when they did. We won.

They started hearing US and it seemed to be the trigger to encourage them to quiet down a bit.

Bottom line is, plenty of ugly people are having plenty of dating and sex.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:51 PM

10,157 posts, read 7,298,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
Meh, not necessarily. When my wife and I were newlyweds, we were in an apartment. Our neighbors were young, but possibly the ugliest couple you'd ever meet. She was somewhat overweight (not huge, but overweight) and had a pretty unattractive face, although she was quite sweet. I will say her butt could have been pretty nice if she lost a few pounds, but that was about her only redeeming physical feature.

He looked like a cross between Jonah Hill and a sasquatch. These were people that very few others of either gender would consider attractive.

Yet they had what sounded like a very active and adventurous sex life, multiple times daily, he was delivering it to her very well and she very eagerly responded. We heard it all.

So we decided to make it a contest and have sex when they did. We won.

They started hearing US and it seemed to be the trigger to encourage them to quiet down a bit.

Bottom line is, plenty of ugly people are having plenty of dating and sex.
Most of the couples I've seen were extremely attractive people. People who were unattractive were just alone and didn't want to be bothered.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:47 PM

5,752 posts, read 9,505,636 times
Couples are usually fairly closely matched in appearance. However, if one if very wealthy or famous or influential, then that person can attract someone significantly better looking in many cases. Most people are not sufficiently outstanding in these ways to attract someone significantly better looking, though. Sometimes mismatched couples were previously closer in appearance, but one let themselves go.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:56 PM

42,759 posts, read 48,944,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Not true my son's father is gorgeous, my ex before gorgeous, before that pretty damn fine.And I'm average.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:54 PM

2,278 posts, read 4,400,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
If you read a little bit, you will find that mating in most developed countries is "affine". Couples generally have the same ethnic, socio-economic, cultural, religious....etc. background. Of course, there are exceptions.
Most of the couples I know are fairly matched in attractiveness, intellect, and income/earning potential. It's the holy trifecta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships