U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do couples match up evenly?
Women's physical attractiveness equal to man's physical attractiveness? 27 40.30%
Women's physical attractiveness on par with man's financial status? 40 59.70%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 12:00 PM

91,008 posts, read 87,702,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftYouUp2016 View Post
Neither. People are matched based on individual preferences and circumstance. Traditionally, men were chosen based on their ability to provide and usually matched with attractive women. Today, this is really no longer a reality for most.
This. Those studies that conclude that people go for the most attractive people they can get, and that people generally are well-matched for attractiveness are conducted with groups of complete strangers. That doesn't mimic the conditions of real life, where many people who eventually pair up already know each other and have insight into each other's characters, personalities, and values. Experiments done on complete strangers produce skewed and unreliable results, except for the guys who complain about approaching strangers and getting rejected. For them, those experiments hold some relevance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 12:24 PM

28 posts, read 23,785 times
Looks/money. No doubt.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:41 PM

79 posts, read 113,582 times
Slight majority towards looks/looks

A fair percentage womans looks/man's finances

Almost never a mans looks/woman finances

Old 04-04-2016, 12:42 PM

11,333 posts, read 23,990,502 times
I can't vote because I don't agree with either option.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:56 PM

452 posts, read 272,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
It has to do with more than just looks and/or money.
Actually, I agree with this. It's not so simple. I guess personality has nothing to do with anything? Intellect? Come on guys. If you really believe this then you're wading in the shallow end of the kiddie pool.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:40 PM

79 posts, read 113,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAOU812 View Post
Actually, I agree with this. It's not so simple. I guess personality has nothing to do with anything? Intellect? Come on guys. If you really believe this then you're wading in the shallow end of the kiddie pool.
Sure it does

Looks 60% Personality 30% Intellect 10%
(5% margin for error)

Old 04-04-2016, 02:16 PM

25,735 posts, read 28,197,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftYouUp2016 View Post
We all have seen it, no need to deny realities.
Well, except by inserting something that was never said into the mouths of middle school girls in a "women are all b-----s!" style meme?

Then there's the need to deny realities...is that correct?

Come on, give us some parameters here, the rules keep changing. Do you have a flow chart of this? I'm losing track of which B.S. we're supposed to believe and nod sagely at and which we're supposed to pooh-pooh as unreality.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:30 PM

11,333 posts, read 23,990,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Come on, give us some parameters here, the rules keep changing. Do you have a flow chart of this? I'm losing track of which B.S. we're supposed to believe and nod sagely at and which we're supposed to pooh-pooh as unreality.
Oh, come on. It should be obvious. If a man posts it, it must be true. If a woman posts it... I can't say it.

Please don't hit me.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:39 PM

16,821 posts, read 13,639,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You didn't provide enough options in the poll. What if we don't agree with the premiss at all?
Indeed. My lady and I are not matched based on our looks or financial status. We're matched simply because we're just flat taken with each other, for a lot of reasons. To me, she is the most beautiful person I've ever encountered, and what society thinks matters not a whit to me. For her part, as to looks, she could probably do better than I. But neither of us tend to dwell on that. Our relationship is based on how we relate to each other, and our rapport is a rare thing, and on a deep understanding of each others fears, desires, and it just seems as if we complete each other.

Doesn't genuine love, mutual respect and understanding, relating to each others life experiences, support for each other etc, matter to people anymore? Everything seems based on total materialism and physical things to a great many people these days, when looking at relationships these days. Looks, money, social status, its like a giant high school scene out there. My lady is a gift from above. I feel very fortunate we have what we have, and dating is a thing of the past.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:57 PM

452 posts, read 272,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry08 View Post
Sure it does

Looks 60% Personality 30% Intellect 10%
(5% margin for error)
This is much closer to reality than the original question IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships