U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 07:57 AM

60,911 posts, read 49,171,096 times

Advertisements

I was serious about the Peace Corps by the way. You would get to meet lots of interesting people, and you'd get to travel. The women you would meet would probably be more intellectual and open minded than the average woman - and more open to a less than conventional lifestyle and relationship for the time being.

Think about it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 08:48 AM

24,682 posts, read 51,077,071 times
Of course there's a big difference between liking travel and wanting to make your lifestyle revolve around travelling. E.g. perhaps living in a new city every few years, or having the opportunity to go overseas frequently.

I looked up the Peace Corps and as I thought it's an American organization.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:53 AM

300 posts, read 623,381 times
It seems like there's no real answer here. Maybe you're just venting some anxiety? No one here can guarantee you that you'll meet a woman who will travel with you. As you probably know already, it will be harder to have a relationship when you move a lot. But go for it and see what happens. No one can predict the outcome for you. Good luck!

Old 11-04-2012, 09:16 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,996,499 times
Well though I do want to get marry one day, I never want kids but would love to travel a lot. I'm looking for a childfree marriage and at the same time someone who likes to travel.

I guess that's a combination of the two.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:22 AM

15,014 posts, read 19,847,568 times
Look for girls who say they never want to marry or have kids. They usually like to travel too.

Finding a girlfriend who will travel with you for 5 years is possible, but finding one who will always be available to travel with you during those 5 years will be hard because schedules are hard to coordinate.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:34 AM

464 posts, read 448,957 times
Hello sir, I am a single woman who like to travel.. Call me!

Seriously, echoing Peace Corps or find some organization that do a lot work overseas.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:49 AM

2,017 posts, read 4,032,727 times
travel alone.

get a local girl in the country you're visiting, that way you can bag and learn the language/customs ( I did this ).

plus, this will give lots of stories to use when picking up women back in your home country. It will also expand your perspective greatly, people tend to take traveling for granted visiting cheap soulless thrills like Vegas, or Miami.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:22 AM

28,234 posts, read 33,705,569 times
I know quite a few people like this. Some people even take work from home jobs for this very reason. A recent coworker even moved to Thailand with his wife and kid, and he is a couple years older than me.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:06 PM

24,682 posts, read 51,077,071 times
I'm not sure if I want kids. I do want to pass my genes on, but the idea of parenthood seems a big responsibility. I often think I wish I was never born, so maybe it's better if I don't bring children into a world which will become more polluted, poorer (environmentally)...i guess the genetic instinct is to continue my line, so I might donate my sperm or something. Then again I love spending time with my nieces so who knows, I can't say for sure right now. If I have kids probably not under my early to mid 30s.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:10 PM

91,410 posts, read 88,405,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

One thing, though, if I can I hope the spend the next 5 years at least spending as much time as I can travelling or living around the world. Whether that is through my job, or I find ways to work/fund my travels. I want to do some volunteering, some soul-searching, some exploring. No idea about percentages, but I'm wondering how hard it would be find someone who would be open to dating someone like me? Either sharing those experiences or being away for long periods of time? That's why I'm thinking I could be practically single for quite a few years to come.
This is what your 20's are supposed to be about. You're supposed to do all this stuff, reflect, soul-search, figure yourself out before you hitch up to someone for life. (Your parents should have gotten the memo. Their generation pretty much wrote that memo.) It's not unusual for couples to backpack around Europe or SE Asia together. The trick is finding someone you get along with who can afford it and has the free time. The other option would be to score a job that gives you a good month vacation/year, and do your travel in 1-month chunks. If you find a gf who has a similar work arrangement, you can do it together.

btw, traveling in challenging conditions is a great way to find out if you get along with someone--how they handle adversity, and all that. You'll either break up afterwards, or you won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships