Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 04:08 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times

Advertisements

I'm still a relationship virgin, but recently my parents have mentioned the fact that perhaps it's time to find someone to settle down with. To them it means getting married.etc, which I'm not really thinking of right now. If the right one comes along I might marry when I'm in my early 30's, but honestly I don't care if I never do. I daydream about romances but, the idea of 'growing old' with someone has actually never appealed to me. Heck, maybe it's weird of me, but the idea of a romance with an expiry date actually sort of appeals to me more in a way. Of course if I found the one I wouldn't want it to last.

One thing, though, if I can I hope the spend the next 5 years at least spending as much time as I can travelling or living around the world. Whether that is through my job, or I find ways to work/fund my travels. I want to do some volunteering, some soul-searching, some exploring. No idea about percentages, but I'm wondering how hard it would be find someone who would be open to dating someone like me? Either sharing those experiences or being away for long periods of time? That's why I'm thinking I could be practically single for quite a few years to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 05:37 AM

11,394 posts, read 24,436,628 times
Women like to travel too.

In general, I think you over analyze relationships, which has probably created a negative feedback loop.

Practice by getting yourself a group of platonic female friends. Do normal, non-sexual activities that you all enjoy. (don't people have friends anymore?). Don't drink too much, and stop thinking of relationships in terms of growing old together.

Right now, you just need practice being with women you are not going to date.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:49 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,942,278 times
Women want stability in a relationship. Someone committed wholeheartedly!

Old 11-04-2012, 05:59 AM

11,394 posts, read 24,436,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
That's true in dating, but he's not looking for a committed relationship. Therefore he has to find other options. I've known plenty of serial monogamists who willingly or unwittingly moved through a variety of vaguely defined LTR's. That is probably more common these days than marriage. And most people don't advertise for it. That's how relationships often work out.

The OP's hurdles are far more elementary.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:04 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
is there a question?

Old 11-04-2012, 06:09 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,041 times
You've taken over analyzation to a whole new level.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:23 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,733,492 times
My daughter is almost 26 and has just come back from traveling through South America...by herself. Last year she traveled through South East Asia. Next year her plan is the Indian continent. She works 6 months of the year, saves all her money then travels.

So there you have it. These women are around, she's certainly not the only one.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Join the Peace Corps.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:49 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,181,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Sure, but that doesn't prohibit traveling. I had a few boyfriends I was on the road with back in my day. None of who I'm now growing old with and we had great times. It's also good to travel alone. Both has its benefits.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:52 AM

300 posts, read 659,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm still a relationship virgin, but recently my parents have mentioned the fact that perhaps it's time to find someone to settle down with. To them it means getting married.etc, which I'm not really thinking of right now. If the right one comes along I might marry when I'm in my early 30's, but honestly I don't care if I never do. I daydream about romances but, the idea of 'growing old' with someone has actually never appealed to me. Heck, maybe it's weird of me, but the idea of a romance with an expiry date actually sort of appeals to me more in a way. Of course if I found the one I wouldn't want it to last.

One thing, though, if I can I hope the spend the next 5 years at least spending as much time as I can travelling or living around the world. Whether that is through my job, or I find ways to work/fund my travels. I want to do some volunteering, some soul-searching, some exploring. No idea about percentages, but I'm wondering how hard it would be find someone who would be open to dating someone like me? Either sharing those experiences or being away for long periods of time? That's why I'm thinking I could be practically single for quite a few years to come.
For sure you can find someone like that. I'm a gal, and that's how I am. It does make it harder though, since most people stay put and travel only on holidays. It may also mean a lot of short relationships if you meet people on your journeys instead of flying off with your partner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships