Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 04:28 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Yes I pay attention. But I take things literally.....And good for your friend I guess.
Good for her indeed, as she proves you very wrong. Looks only mean so much in real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 04:40 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Good for her indeed, as she proves you very wrong. Looks only mean so much in real life.
She doesn't 'prove' me anything. She is an example. I can find an example in almost every situation. That's great for them, but overall is that what I beleive is common? Nope.

Looks mean everything if you are a woman, that is how you are judged bar none. Nobody give a crap how 'nice & friendly' you are if you're ugly. Sounds nice on paper though, doesn't it.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
She doesn't 'prove' me anything. She is an example. I can find an example in almost every situation. That's great for them, but overall is that what I beleive is common? Nope.

Looks mean everything if you are a woman, that is how you are judged bar none. Nobody give a crap how 'nice & friendly' you are if you're ugly. Sounds nice on paper though, doesn't it.
An example that proves your sweeping statement is wrong. There are physically unattractive people who never find love and there are attractive people who never find love. Your looks don't run your life, you do and how you choose to react to the world matters much more than how big your nose is or how big your breasts are.

But if you're an unattractive person who thinks being unattractive has doomed them to unhappiness and approaches everyone and everything with a sour attitude because of it, yeah, they're probably not going to do well in the dating world.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
An example that proves your sweeping statement is wrong. There are physically unattractive people who never find love and there are attractive people who never find love. Your looks don't run your life, you do and how you choose to react to the world matters much more than how big your nose is or how big your breasts are.

But if you're an unattractive person who thinks being unattractive has doomed them to unhappiness and approaches everyone and everything with a sour attitude because of it, yeah, they're probably not going to do well in the dating world.

Since when is an example befitting for all? Isn't that what you 'experts' are always saying on here? My examples don't fit everyone? Funny how it's a different story now.

I never disagreed that there's people who are ugly who find someone and people that are attractive who don't. What I SAID was: if you think that's the norm, I don't. You can run around all day long telling yourself you look as good as Megan Fox -- you will see how soon you don't.

Now, I said what I had to say in the previous post, if you think it's wrong, then so be it. But I am not changing what I think on these matters. That's all there is to it.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:03 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,086 times
I don't think people are unrealistic about their attractiveness. At least, not myself or other people that I am friends with.

I find myself to be a perfectly average-looking person. I get my fair share of flirtations, and my fair share of being ignored - this is pretty much in line with my perception of myself.

That said, I don't think that there's anything wrong with wanting to think of yourself as above average, especially given how harsh people can be. It doesn't necessarily mean that people are deluded into thinking they're "hotter" than they actually are. More often than not, people choose to be their own champions.

As for being turned down harshly, it could very well be how you approach these particular women. It could also be how many times they've been approached that day, whether they've had a bad day or not, or any number of things.

I know that, personally, when I am walking somewhere and I get cat-called or have a man tell me to "smile" (which really happens entirely too often for my liking), it really pisses me off. Usually, I ignore it, but sometimes I get mean.

In any case, the point is - you never know what is going on with people. And people tend to be realistic about themselves.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Since when is an example befitting for all? Isn't that what you 'experts' are always saying on here? My examples don't fit everyone? Funny how it's a different story now.

I never disagreed that there's people who are ugly who find someone and people that are attractive who don't. What I SAID was: if you think that's the norm, I don't. You can run around all day long telling yourself you look as good as Megan Fox -- you will see how soon you don't.

Now, I said what I had to say in the previous post, if you think it's wrong, then so be it. But I am not changing what I think on these matters. That's all there is to it.
A lesson applied twofold: I have no association with anyone else on this board. Their views are independent of my own so please do not put their words in my mouth. I am an individual.

And similarly, people should be assessed as individuals in the land of love. I didn't say all the short fatties of the world find love, just that some do. You said that women get judged entirely by their looks, not their personality, and I am simply offering an example of how that isn't true.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
A lesson applied twofold: I have no association with anyone else on this board. Their views are independent of my own so please do not put their words in my mouth. I am an individual.

And similarly, people should be assessed as individuals in the land of love. I didn't say all the short fatties of the world find love, just that some do. You said that women get judged entirely by their looks, not their personality, and I am simply offering an example of how that isn't true.

Women DO get judged entirely by our looks. If you think most men are going to pay you any mind because you're nice but a 4 in the looks department over a woman with similar interest in him who is a b*tch but an 8 or 9 in the looks department -- keep fooling yourself, LOL. I seen it happen a million times. Now, I don't care if you have 50 examples of where it all panned out for the 5s, that's great for them. I don't feel Jet Jockey looks that bad, but she claims men don't like her looks and she's a hell of a lot 'nicer' then I am these days. But you see where being nice has gotten her, the same place that I am (except I don't even try to date and she does). By that logic she should have tons of bfs. So there's an example for you on how men do not care how 'nice' a woman is. Because they don't.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
A lot of the men that's bald, fat and/or short etc. try and talk about how great they are personality wise and how they would be so good to a woman that gave them a chance. If the situation is the reverse and it's a woman they don't even want to hear that garbage from her.
Yup. The answer is usually: she is lazy and should lose weight.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yup. The answer is usually: she is lazy and should lose weight.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

I agree & this is usually what is said. But in his case, he expects to just be taken 'as is' simply because he's 'nice' and a 'good guy.'

Old 11-15-2012, 11:06 PM

664 posts, read 773,586 times
Nope, I'm pretty realistic that I'm an ugly dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships