Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 09:09 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,698,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Those people are imbeciles. What the hell is black culture?

I would stop short of calling everyone else "imbeciles" when you don't know what black culture is referring to, LOL. It's a common term and can be applied to almost any ETHNIC group (languages, foods, etiquette, customs, etc). Does that mean you don't know what Asian culture is? German culture? So they're all the same to you then? Not really.....

Old 11-16-2012, 09:19 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,100,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I would stop short of calling everyone else "imbeciles" when you don't know what black culture is referring to, LOL. It's a common term and can be applied to almost any ETHNIC group (languages, foods, etiquette, customs, etc). Does that mean you don't know what Asian culture is? German culture? So they're all the same to you then? Not really.....
I'm black, but my parents are from Trinidad. Do I have "black" culture? Barrack Obama was raised by his white grandparents in Hawaii. Does he have "black" culture? And anybody who is white but says they are really "black" is a imbecile.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:24 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,558,721 times
Personally, I find Michelle Obama gorgeous. I'm white. Old. And short.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:41 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,698,060 times
Quote:
I'm black, but my parents are from Trinidad. Do I have "black" culture? Barrack Obama was raised by his white grandparents in Hawaii. Does he have "black" culture? And anybody who is white but says they are really "black" is a imbecile.
I don't know a lot about people from Trinidad. If you are considered of the black race, then yes, you would have black culture I would assume....My point is it can be applied to any ethnic group and if I came on here and made a thread about Asian culture I guarantee you it wouldn't be put in "quotes" and nobody would blink an eye for me having said it. People will compartmentalize it to death though if you say black culture or black anything. "Well if I'm from here" or "if barack obama's mother did XYZ" etc. etc. black culture has the same meaning as it would applied to any other ethnicity.

Last edited by Doll Eyes; 11-16-2012 at 09:52 AM..

Old 11-16-2012, 09:45 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,093,251 times
We aren't that pretty when it boils down to the basics.

Neanderthal Man

Neanderthal Woman

Old 11-16-2012, 09:52 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,447,799 times
Quote:
If you're talking about Obama, yes he's married to a black women. But she is NOT attractive.
...to you.

However, most people would disagree.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:58 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,447,799 times
Quote:
That would be a question that only you could answer and it would depend on how much you and/or your family have assimilated into Black American culture. Some Caribbeans (and/or Africans, Cape Verdeans, Afro Latinos, etc) do and others do not.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:13 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,788,565 times
^ Apparently all non-Africans are part-Neanderthals...

Old 11-16-2012, 10:19 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,093,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ Apparently all non-Africans are part-Neanderthals...

Bottom line, every race started off ugly as hell is really my point.

Not to turn this into a religious debate or topic, but I blame religion for the vanity we have. Look in the bible at all the pictures and all the people are beautiful and look like someone who would walk this earth today, when in reality, if you take those two beauties, Adam & Eve, they more than likely looked like the above photos I speak of.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:26 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,706,638 times
Quote:
Yes, since Trinidad is part of the African diaspora. Your Trini culture won't be exactly the same as black americans who grew up in the rural south, or the inner city, in Jack and Jill, or black people who grew up in Lagos Nigeria, but it still counts. There is no one uniform black culture.

Obama on the other hand connected with "black" culture when he was a bit older, and started community organizing. But he definitely "felt" his blackness growing up for sure, and that probably led him to seeking out more experience with black american culture. Since he didn't really have an opportunity to connect as much with his Kenyan culture.

The important thing to note is that being black doesn't automatically mean you are exposed to "black" culture. And you don't have to be black to be interested in black culture. There is not a uniform black experience shaped by culture tradition, but lots of common threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships