Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 07:24 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times

Advertisements

Oh dear Lord ...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 07:26 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,871,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I think the OP was joking....right? Could anyone be that backward? Even here in West Virginia I do not know more than 2-3 people in their early 20s who are married with kids.
How many do you know that just have kids and no ring to show for it? lol

Old 11-15-2012, 07:30 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
How many do you know that just have kids and no ring to show for it? lol
LOL a few more! But those gals will always find guys to bring back to the trailer so I don't think they qualify as "spinsters."

Old 11-15-2012, 07:47 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
You could have simply googled the correct definition of the word.

'A spinster, or old maid, is an older, childless woman who has never been married, typically in her late 40's.'

And most people don't use that word anymore either. It's gone like the dodo for a good reason. No-one really gives a rats ass whether women have kids anymore or aren't married in their 40s.
I'm kind of reclaiming the word for myself, though, because I like the way it sounds. Men have "bachelor," so I'm taking back "spinster."

Old 11-15-2012, 07:54 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Yeah, at 21 you're just a tired dried up old hag that may as well start taking in cats from off the street.

I'm 23 myself. Just one year away from dementia. All ready need a cane just to get around. FML being old sucks!

At 26 I don't even know what you would call me. I guess I should go pick out a cemetery plot now.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:09 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm kind of reclaiming the word for myself, though, because I like the way it sounds. Men have "bachelor," so I'm taking back "spinster."
OMG, let me introduce you to my BFF. She LOVES using that word.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:11 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
I'm assuming you live in the Midwest or South or Ohio or somewhere where people get married early. There's no need to get married THAT early. I mean Jeez, 21!? Don't start getting worried until you hit 30

For a woman, I'd say it's around 32-35. If you want to want to raise a family, you ought to start doing it by then. Nobody wants to take care of a 10-year old when they're 50, it's the healthier for you and the kid to have the babies when you're (the woman) younger, and it lowers the risk of autism and general sickliness in the kid/offspring.

All you have to do is
A) DECIDE if that's what you want. Marriage and kids. DON'T fumfer in your head. MAKE A DECISION by the age of let's say 25.
B) Don't look for some James Bond / Brad Pitt combo. He doesn't need to be perfect, he just needs to be able to be a husband and father. Frankly, the fact is the Brad Pitt guys are going to be worse fathers, both because of their lifetime experience with women (they can get it anytime, so less appreciation), and it also has to do with testosterone and stuff. Men with less testosterone actually statistically make better fathers, whereas on the other hand men with more testosterone are more sexually attractive to women. What's further interesting is women can actually tell the difference, in one study looking at men's faces, women could pretty accurately predict which men likes kids, and which men would be better fathers. In other studies, they wanted to bone guys with more testosterone, but saw men with less as better future husbands/fathers.
So, in other words, you're already built with the proper screening programs, just make sure to use them; follow your head/ability to look towards the future, not your horniness. And don't get stuck following your chasing the handsome suave guys, telling yourself you're just looking for some super romance (again, really what you'd be doing is following your horniness, regardless of what you tell yourself). Real life isn't that romantic. You'll be ACTUALLY happy in real life when you see your husband happily holding your baby, baby-talking, or helping your son with his math homework. Don't chase some romance that doesn't exist.
Correct. I live in Ohio.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:13 AM

And Brauwyn, you are on ignore. Quit stalking me, C you next Tuesday.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:15 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Yup. Time to become a nun. That's really the only option left to you. If you aren't married with 6 kids all working out in the fields by 20 - you're only option is to get thee to a nunnery.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Yup. Time to become a nun. That's really the only option left to you. If you aren't married with 6 kids all working out in the fields by 20 - you're only option is to get thee to a nunnery.
Lmao.

I hope they accept agnostics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships