Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 06:56 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I just got pwned. Rep for you.
I didn't mean to pwn you. Sorry. I've just heard it before given my high post count, which is significantly higher than chessie's as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 06:57 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't think being retarded, as in socially retarded, is the same as the trisomy downs, but that's how some perceive it.
Who knows man. I'm not a language Nazi so it really doesn't matter to me. We all butcher the language somehow.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:57 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
No it's not. Many years ago I was sitting at a bar waiting for my husband (he worked at the restaurant). I knew the bartender pretty well. She was a lovely woman and a lesbian. I used the phrase "that's so gay" at least 3 times in our conversation and kept slapping myself upside the head for it and apologizing. Dumb.
If you had any teenagers, or kids in college, you might have a different opinion. Sorry, but using the word "gay" in that manner is a very VERY common/typical thing amongst the young and even the general population, and even amongst their gay friends. Sure it sounds all politically correct to say "Oh my that is just awful", , ...but it's been in use for years, and I doubt that it's going anywhere anytime soon.

When someone does something that lends an appearance of "gayness"...and a friend wants to comment on it, why shouldn't they? Hell we even do this all the time at work. I mean, what would you have someone say..."Oh that outfit is just so...so...well, it looks like something that a gay person would wear...so you probably shouldn't wear it!".

I had someone tell me that my shoes looked "black" one time...as in that only a black woman would wear them. And she was black. So what?

Old 11-18-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Not hating on you at all but I chuckled when, after I read this, noticed you had over 14,000 posts.
Chuckle away sweetie. Check out how long I've been on here...and how often I post.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:02 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
I don't understand why the word retarded is seen as a bad thing. If you're retarded, you're retarded. That's just what it is.
I'd have to look it up but I think that we're supposed use the term 'challenged' or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Chuckle away sweetie. Check out how long I've been on here...and how often I post.
Double pwned. But thank you for calling me sweetie.

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
I don't think being retarded, as in socially retarded, is the same as the trisomy downs, but that's how some perceive it.
Developmental disabilities, like Down's, used to be referred to a "mental retardation" which led to the people with the condition being called "retards." So when people refer to other people as "retarded" those who don't like the word can't help but make the association that the reference is to a mentally handicapped person as a joke. That's where the objection comes from.

Similarly for "gay"-- it's used to mean "lame" or "stupid," so it's pretty easy to see why actual gays wouldn't like it.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'd have to look it up but I think that we're supposed use the term 'challenged' or something like that.
Yeah I think mentally challenged is what the politically correct term is. But I've heard lawyers and other highly educated individuals say retarded. It's just the way they say it comes off better than how most people say it.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Using "gay" as a slur isn't really the mark of highly sophisticated person.
Maybe that is the difference...I don't really see it as a "slur".

Old 11-18-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Double pwned. But thank you for calling me sweetie.
You are quite welcome. I felt the need to add another post to my incredible high post count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships