Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 08:12 AM

1,293 posts, read 1,678,690 times

Advertisements

I ask because I am part of the weightlifting culture so I have a lot of male friends who are pretty boy/gym rats and many of them are really great guys who are funny and interesting and have great character

Why do women always say "I would rather take avg looking guy who is nice and a good BF over a gym rat jerk"? Most gym rats I know ARE nice guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 AM

803 posts, read 1,667,361 times
Why Do People Say Good Looking Folks Have Lesser Personality/Character?

They're projecting their own insecurities and jealousy, that's why. Attractive people are generally treated better and valued more, especially women.

Why do women always say "I would rather take avg looking guy who is nice and a good BF over a gym rat jerk"? Most gym rats I know ARE nice guys

They're either generalizing, or referring to the juiceheads that spend two hours at the gym everyday, go clubbing every weekend, etc. I lift weights too and I'm somewhat health conscious, but I've never had a girl call me a jerk. It could also be that they're insecure and don't feel "good enough" for the gym rat.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:03 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
It's insecurities and what not. There are ugly people who are total pricks and good looking people who are interesting and genuine and kind.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
good looking people who are interesting and genuine and kind.

The majority of good looking folks I know fall into this category

This dude here is one of the most popular fitness models around and he's famous for being incredibly nice

Ditto with this guy

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 01:59 PM..

Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmabull117 View Post
I ask because I am part of the weightlifting culture so I have a lot of male friends who are pretty boy/gym rats and many of them are really great guys who are funny and interesting and have great character

Jealousy. Most gym rats I've met are a great group.

Now I did know a track runner who desired to, and usually succeeded in, sleeping with every woman he came within viewing distance of, so a little jealousy is understandible.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:28 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Sounds like they are continuing a stereotype... which might have been reinforced by someone they knew at some point too. It only takes knowing one person who fits a stereotype to reinforce that stereotype in people's minds.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:41 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
I have yet to find a correlation between looks and personality. But there of course is a subset of people who are only eye candy. The only reason they are more "visible" than the other no personality people, because more people make an effort to get to know the super attractive person, and they tend to be more memorable due to their attractiveness.

It is no different than remembering the loud black woman you saw on TV and deciding that we are all like that.

But I also find, I am generally less interested in "body builders" due to dissimilar food philosophies. Generally body builder types are more like food = fuel. Vs. someone like me who thinks food = fun. [Fun and healthy go together too. I am just more likely to want to try super crazy recipes, and hardcore body builder types tend to have a pretty set menu, and eat the same thing day after day. And I only repeat breakfasts. Everything else for me is random.] So if I talk to you and find out your diet is all protein shakes, egg whites, chicken breasts, supplements, spinach and broccoli....we probably won't get along.

Boring people come in all shapes and sizes. I tend to reserve a final opinion till I have had a couple of conversations with you.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:45 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,953,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post

As a female gym rat, I have never uttered the bolded sentence.

The guys that work out alongside me are not jerks. They are some of the neatest people that I know.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I have yet to find a correlation between looks and personality. But there of course is a subset of people who are only eye candy. The only reason they are more "visible" than the other no personality people, because more people make an effort to get to know the super attractive person, and they tend to be more memorable due to their attractiveness.

It is no different than remembering the loud black woman you saw on TV and deciding that we are all like that.

But I also find, I am generally less interested in "body builders" due to dissimilar food philosophies. Generally body builder types are more like food = fuel. Vs. someone like me who thinks food = fun. [Fun and healthy go together too. I am just more likely to want to try super crazy recipes, and hardcore body builder types tend to have a pretty set menu, and eat the same thing day after day. And I only repeat breakfasts. Everything else for me is random.] So if I talk to you and find out your diet is all protein shakes, egg whites, chicken breasts, supplements, spinach and broccoli....we probably won't get along.

Boring people come in all shapes and sizes. I tend to reserve a final opinion till I have had a couple of conversations with you.

Good post

Me personally, I work out a lot and love the fitness lifestyle but I also love good food/good drinks. You would definitely get along well with me...I can't stand the taste of eating spinach and broccoli everyday

Old 11-19-2012, 09:53 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Jersey shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships