Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 05:15 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,257 times

Advertisements

The "dreaded 'f' word", I know...

What do some men have against feminism/feminists?

I have been wondering this for quite a while. I read quite a bit and notice so much anti-feminism rhetoric. I've noticed a lot around here that the word "feminism" is treated as if the plague has just hit. And then there's the "Men's Rights" movement, which is a whole different can of worms.

But, what's the deal? Why do some men (and apparently some women) hate feminism?

ETA: How does feminism affect your dating options?

I, personally, don't date men who aren't feminists.

Last edited by tazzled; 11-19-2012 at 06:00 PM..

Old 11-19-2012, 05:21 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
I am a woman and I cant stand feminism. Modern day feminism is.nothing more than a power grab against.white males. It concerns itself with white women who are middle income and higher, no one else. Low income women working as a cashier at Walmart? Who cares. Feminists only look up the ladder, never extend a hand downward.
Furthermore they sell the.idea that dating for men and women is exactly the same, when it clearly isnt. They are.the ones behind the.whole Promiscuity = Empowerment thing.

Thumbs down to feminism.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:22 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,181,461 times
Because they write stuff about how worthless men are, how they don't need men in society anymore. Men get portrayed as dumb on tv shows and movies, the Dad
is made to be a buffoon.

I am all for women having equal pay and good opportunities to succeed, advance in their careers, etc. But I would never date a feminist. I steer clear of them like the plague. Why would I want to spend my free time with someone who hates men? How can a woman like that possibly make me happy?

Old 11-19-2012, 05:24 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Judging by the last two posts, I'd say many people hate feminists because of lies and misconceptions.

I'm a feminist and I love men, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to call them out on their BS. There are different grades of feminism and not every one of us is a man-hater only looking to get ahead. Do those exist? Absolutely. Are they the majority? No, they're just the most vocal.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:24 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
The "dreaded 'f' word", I know...

What do some men have against feminism/feminists?

I have been wondering this for quite a while. I read quite a bit and notice so much anti-feminism rhetoric. I've noticed a lot around here that the word "feminism" is treated as if the plague has just hit. And then there's the "Men's Rights" movement, which is a whole different can of worms.

But, what's the deal? Why do some men hate feminism?
I believe in the old school feminist ideal that women should be treated equally as men and respect the first feminists who fought for that.

However, I will not respect or date the hyper feminists of today who think men are evil and think women mean more to the world then men.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:26 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,693,812 times
Well before the flames start this is how I see it.

There are the crazies who think feminist are out to make men second class citizens.

You will have guys who say feminism ruined male and female relationships.

You have some who say feminism has made men lose their "manliness".

Those who say feminism has caused terror and chaos due to disturbing our "biological imperative".

Those who feel feminism allows woman to buck tradition but males still have to keep up what they are expected to do.

Those who feel that woman only use feminism when it benefits basically women apply it to everything but dating which still says the man has to lead.

There are some others but they tend to run into each other but there is no one answer to why feminism is hated here.

This is just my observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Because they write stuff about how worthless men are, how they don't need men in society anymore. Men get portrayed as dumb on tv shows and movies, the Dad
is made to be a buffoon.

I am all for women having equal pay and good opportunities to succeed, advance in their careers, etc. But I would never date a feminist. I steer clear of them like the plague. Why would I want to spend my free time with someone who hates men? How can a woman like that possibly make me happy?
I am reminded of another lie of feminism: you can have it all! No you cant. You cant be a senior VP road warrior and be an active mom at the same time. It doesnt work that way, make a choice, or be mediocre at both! And by the way, being a SAHM is a valid choice! This is coming from a career woman, by the way.

1,601 posts, read 2,133,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Because they write stuff about how worthless men are, how they don't need men in society anymore.
Where did this idea even come from?

Have you actually read any feminist writings? Feminists are most definitely not man-hating women who think men are worthless.

Of course, there are fringe groups (of the Valerie Solanas vein), but they are wildly outnumbered.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:28 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
A couple of reasons, and these are my perceptions:
- feminists are rarely, if ever, of the peaches and cream, "girly girl" variety
- they can spout all the stats they want, I've only seen professional wage equality in MY entire post-college life, and sometimes even stats showing that some women outperform their male S.O.s in their paychecks
- with the true feminist, they get torqued if you anything about negative a woman, even one who is not in their demographic, and who they should not be defending - i.e. bristling at comments like "that skanky surfer chick," when you know intelligent women who will laugh at that, and even agree, so you don't have to deal with that extra "chip"
- for people more comfortable with traditional roles, that set-up is NOT as likely to be the case

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 11-19-2012 at 05:39 PM..

Old 11-19-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Judging by the last two posts, I'd say many people hate feminists because of lies and misconceptions.

I'm a feminist and I love men, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to call them out on their BS. There are different grades of feminism and not every one of us is a man-hater only looking to get ahead. Do those exist? Absolutely. Are they the majority? No, they're just the most vocal.
Why are you calling anyone out on anything? Whatever happened to live and let live? Why cant you just.keep it.moving when someone disagrees with you? You have.posted about your body issues - do you want to be called out over.your size, or do you want people to.keep it moving when they dont like what they see?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships