Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 12:04 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times

Advertisements

I enjoy being single and would actually love to get married, I just don't think it's for me.

I only get grief for it from men I date. If you think they run fast when you mention marriage soon, wait until you say that door is closed.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:07 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
The lesson here is, that no matter what your marital status is, one should be more tolerant and open minded to others peoples choices.
Wait, let me get this straight. Ascension, Mr. My-Way-Or-The-Highway, is lecturing others about being more open minded to others (sic) peoples (sic) choices? We really need a rolling-on-the-floor-laughing emoticon! All I can say is, in future posts about how to date, how to get women's attention, etc., please follow your own advice.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:11 PM

708 posts, read 878,876 times
Quote:
......is a sham or an outdated concept, when in real life its the married people that tend to be more judgmental of singles marital status. So perhaps before the next person says "he's 37 with a great career and handsome, why isnt he married, he must be gay or there must be something wrong with him" they can think back to this thread and remember what it feels like to be on the receiving end, when someone judges you in this fashion. Many young women are extremely cautious and will interrogate a guy who is in his late 30s, and has nbever been married or has any children. Many would prefer a man to have been already divorced or with a couple of kids, believe it or not.
Well there is certainly a difference between saying marriage is a sham/outdated concept vs. saying marriage isn't the right choice for me. For anyone who says this stuff, but has been in a long term live-in relationship, it is hard to take them seriously.

As for your point about men in their late thirties, and women preferring that he have kids/ be divorced vs. never been married. I think that really depends. Obviously the woman dating someone in his late thirties would be close to his age.....much younger women have more choices of men with no kids or no marriages. Certainly a thirty something woman is aware that the dating pool is going to contain a fair amount of guys with kids. To say that they would prefer it, though would be false. Dating someone with kids(that aren't yours) brings a lot of complexities vs. the person having no kids.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:14 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times
Quote:
The lesson here is, that no matter what your marital status is, one should be more tolerant and open minded to others peoples choices. The reason I say this, is that I have noticed that married people in this thread or on CDR forum in general, seem to be offended when someone says marriage is a sham or an outdated concept, when in real life its the married people that tend to be more judgmental of singles marital status. So perhaps before the next person says "he's 37 with a great career and handsome, why isnt he married, he must be gay or there must be something wrong with him" they can think back to this thread and remember what it feels like to be on the receiving end, when someone judges you in this fashion. Many young women are extremely cautious and will interrogate a guy who is in his late 30s, and has nbever been married or has any children. Many would prefer a man to have been already divorced or with a couple of kids, believe it or not.
Odd. I know more than a few women who dont want kids or marriage who are looking for men in their 30's with neither.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:17 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Unfortunately, I'll probably need to get married somewhere between 40-45. I assume mom wants grandkids and I'm not a fan of going the baby mama route.
Quote:
I'm just trying to take others into consideration. Sure, if it were up to me, I'd stay single for the next 25+ years, but I realize there are certain expectations. Who wants to let down their parents?

And btw, my chasing wouldn't be limited to 20 year olds as I do enjoy cougars and middle age housewives.
Quote:
Almost 30.

However, I just wouldn't want to let my folks down, so as a result, I'll probably go and get married and have a kid or two. An ideal situation would be to just find a girl to have a kid with, live together, and have an open relationship. I'd be cool with that although I realize most females aren't into the open relationship arrangement.

They might be dead by then, so you might as well just forget it.

Oh, was that insensitive?

Old 11-20-2012, 12:24 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,403 times
They do that because they are interested in marriage. What's so wrong about a marriage minded person screening out those who do not wish to be married or those who are unsuitable to marry?

Quote:
The lesson here is, that no matter what your marital status is, one should be more tolerant and open minded to others peoples choices. The reason I say this, is that I have noticed that married people in this thread or on CDR forum in general, seem to be offended when someone says marriage is a sham or an outdated concept, when in real life its the married people that tend to be more judgmental of singles marital status. So perhaps before the next person says "he's 37 with a great career and handsome, why isnt he married, he must be gay or there must be something wrong with him" they can think back to this thread and remember what it feels like to be on the receiving end, when someone judges you in this fashion. Many young women are extremely cautious and will interrogate a guy who is in his late 30s, and has nbever been married or has any children. Many would prefer a man to have been already divorced or with a couple of kids, believe it or not.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:24 PM

368 posts, read 577,651 times
I don't plan on getting married till my early 30's, during your 20's, you should be focused on enjoying life.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:25 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, I'll probably need to get married somewhere between 40-45. I assume mom wants grandkids and I'm not a fan of going the baby mama route.
Key word: assume. Do you know this for a fact? Maybe this is just your justification for your secret desire to get married. By the time you're in your 40's, you'll be losing testosterone, and your whole perspective will probably change, anyway. And btw, big boys don't structure their lives around momma's wishes, especially if a child might be involved. Just fyi.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:26 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaquille View Post
I don't plan on getting married till my early 30's, during your 20's, you should be focused on enjoying life.
And partying hard. Trust me on this.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:34 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And btw, big boys don't structure their lives around momma's wishes
Is this CD lore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships