Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 08:37 AM

571 posts, read 1,200,341 times

Advertisements

It's a long life. If you want honest answers and real perspective, go to a nursing home and ask around - those that married and those that didn't.

Then, make up your own mind.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:37 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Problem solved:

1. Make at least $150k/yr by the time you're 40-45 (that's not difficult).
2. Stay in great shape. Workout for at least 45 min a day 5-6 days a week (weights and/or cardio).
3. Stay fashionable and maintain good skin/hair care.
4. Tell chicks whatever they want to hear, have your way with them, then move on to the next chick. Rinse and repeat.
5. Hook up with married chicks looking for a fling (plenty are out here).
6. Ultilize as many dating sites as possible. Thousands of lonely chicks over 35 can be found on them.
7. Travel abroad during vacations (I personally enjoy places like Brazil, Colombia, and the Dominican) and hook up with all kinds of chicks while you're there.

Do those things as a middle age single guy and you'll have a great life.
So who holds your hand during the cancer diagnosis? Who handles the funeral arrangements for your Mom when you can't get out of bed to do it? Who has your back when the rest of the world sucks? I got food poisoning last week and my husband and I spent half the night laying on the tile floor of our bathroom making puke jokes. I felt awful but it was kind of fun.

Don't get married if you don't want to but realize that at some point you might want more than sex.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:38 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,918,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_land View Post
Wait til you hit your 30's, 40's or even up. Sometimes one just gets tired of running around. I'm not male, but I don't like the dating game. Even if I don't get married, I would prefer a long lasting relationship with someone instead of the George Clooneys.
For most guys, I don't think chasing fresh tail ever gets old.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
So who holds your hand during the cancer diagnosis? Who handles the funeral arrangements for your Mom when you can't get out of bed to do it? Who has your back when the rest of the world sucks? I got food poisoning last week and my husband and I spent half the night laying on the tile floor of our bathroom making puke jokes. I felt awful but it was kind of fun.

Don't get married if you don't want to but realize that at some point you might want more than sex.
That's what friends and family are for. I have friends and family right now who would bend over backwards to make sure I kept my sanity if something terrible ever happened.

As far as wanting something more than sex, perhaps I will, but I don't think I'll feel that way for at least another 10 years.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:50 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post

Newsflash, people are generally fickle so marriage is no guarantee that the partner won't hit the road when gets thick.

Again I personally won't consider marriage unless I find someone I cannot live without, but there is a scent here that marriage is something to be had at all costs.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:51 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
Why are you so hostile? because you secretly want to get married and can't and try to play it off as "thats how you want to life your life"??
LOL isnt this a message board to ask questions you normally would get shunned for in the real world?
Not hostile. I dont want to get married, but I also dont start threads accusing that marriage doesn't work for anyone. Just like I'm sure you dont want people making assumptions about you for your choice not to get married or have kids, people who do chose that route dont want people with absolutely no experience making accusations based on no personal experience.

You're just as bad as those who pass judgment on you now. You're just perpetuating the stereotype and continuing the cycle.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
- The possibility of reduced social status in the professional world, especially past the age of 35. Face it, generally speaking, society (U.S. society in particular) expects you to be married by a certain age range. Many employers believe that a married man is more stable and has a stronger work-ethic, and yes that may play a role in things such as salary, flexibility and advancement opportunities. Furthermore certain positions in certain fields, especially those that are high-up and public-facing, strongly prefer that a married individual hold them...it just leads to better PR.
This is a terrible reason to get married. Besides, if you're truly smart and hardworking, forget corporate America, start your own business, and make it successful. Do that and nothing you mentioned will matter.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:58 AM

36,501 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
I don't mind being selfish, It is MY life, not yours or anyone elses. I would rather enjoy it then spend my entire life trying to please someone else. At least I am not the selfish person who has 4 kids and remains selfish and then leaves the kids to burden the rest of society. Or get married just to do so and then cheat all the time. I know who I am and that is why I chose not to get married.

Like I said, I feel the way I do but it was nice to see the responses from both sides of it. Thanks!
Then why start this thread. You dont want to get married, you dont understand it, dont do it. No one cares.

Quote:
Why are you so hostile? because you secretly want to get married and can't and try to play it off as "thats how you want to life your life"??
LOL isnt this a message board to ask questions you normally would get shunned for in the real world?

I think it is perhaps you that is hostile because you secretly want to get married. Otherwise why would you even give it a thought. Your friends tell you they are happy in their marriage and you dont believe them?

Old 11-20-2012, 09:14 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,601,893 times
Its called buyers remorse. Sort of like men who blow $3k on a bose surround system, only to realize that it sounds no better than a $150 polk setup they could have gotten instead. Despite the bose speakers sounding like crap, they claim that its a top shelf unit to justify their stupidity of purchasing the worst value in home audio. Or a man who buys a Pontiac Aztec and the car salesman laughs at him as he is driving off the lot. He too will claim how great of a car it is, despite it being a joke.

If most men enjoyed and appreciated being shackled for life, they wouldnt dive into new hobbies to take up all of their time and keep them away from the family. Dont be fooled, theyre waiting for death to come and save them.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:24 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,041,436 times
I think it's great that you know what you want out of life. What I want to know is why are you so concerned about what others think? Is there someone in your life that is hounding you to marry? Your parents/grandparents? Is there a woman begging for your hand in marriage? The easiest way to avoid marriage as a man is to not ask any woman to marry you. Since you only are interested in short encounters or encounters with women who are already taken how will the topic of marriage come up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Problem solved assuming one does the following:

1. Make at least $150k/yr by the time you're 40-45 (that's not difficult).
2. Stay in great shape. Workout for at least 45 min a day 5-6 days a week (weights and/or cardio).
3. Stay fashionable and maintain good skin/hair care.
4. Tell chicks whatever they want to hear, have your way with them, then move on to the next chick. Rinse and repeat.
5. Hook up with married chicks looking for a fling (plenty are out here).
6. Ultilize as many dating sites as possible. Thousands of lonely chicks over 35 can be found on them.
7. Travel abroad during vacations (I personally enjoy places like Brazil, Colombia, and the Dominican) and hook up with all kinds of chicks while you're there.

Do those things as a middle age single guy and you'll have a great life and will be envied by the vast majority of your married friends. Of course, this is just an analysis on how to solve the problem of being a miserable, single, middle age guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.