Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 11:48 PM

3 posts, read 3,533 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have a question that I would like to hear from women in their 40s or later. I am a 30 year old male. At my job I have noticed that older women are attracted to me. I always catch them glancing at me. At least three of them I know for sure are interested in me based on how they look at me and how they act when I happen to be in close proximity or I'm talking to them. I'm attracted to some of these women and I'm considering asking one of them out on a date, but I had a few concerns I'd like to address. An important piece of data to know is that the nature of my job is based on customer relations. These women that I talk about actually work for a company that is my company's customers. This complicates things because I don't want to risk souring relations. So my questions are the following:

If an older woman is attracted to a much younger man, would she expect the relationship to be meaningful or can women in their 40s also have flings?

Would I create a weird work environment if my coworkers were aware of me dating an older woman?

I'm still young and I don't really have a strong desire to settle. What would happen if I dated one of these women and the relationship ended. How do mature women handle situations like that? And what if I then dated one of their coworkers? Can I expect a blowout or do mature women stay civil?

How would you feel dating a man in which the age difference is greater than my age and your children. For example, one woman that is attracted to me has teenage kids. Would that deter her from dating me?

I'm aware these questions sound stupid, like I'm some alien giving a questionnaire on how humans think. I just don't want to assume I know how a woman would react.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 12:19 AM

225 posts, read 643,960 times
Hmm. I'm 42 and I'm reading this with my 35 yr old boyfriend.

This is his take: "if you feel that you are getting looks or some indication that the woman is into you, do not hesitate - make a move. Also, not to say that she isn't, but do not assume that the "mature" woman that you are dealing with is definitely mature. It is a possibility that you may just be a fling. But respect that situation and go with it. That's my two cents."

This is my take: Assuming you've checked company policy and it's OK to date coworkers, there's no harm in a friendly approach. If you do approach any of these women, be very clear that you just want to keep things light, that you aren't looking for anything long term - basically, be honest. Unless these ladies are naive, they hear you.

No one but the woman you're interested in would be able to accurately tell you if she would be deterred from dating you because of her having teenaged kids (or that she is just a few years younger than your parents, or she's never dated anyone that young, or whatever). At least in your situation, they will be more comfortable with you.

Take a chance or don't. Your choice.

BTW, every time I hear "mature" woman, I think of Queen Elizabeth and that purse she's always carrying.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:23 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Don't date where you work. The rest of the information is unimportant.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:47 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Don't date where you work. The rest of the information is unimportant.
And don't date your company's customers. That's a potential powderkeg. Most companies have a policy against using the customer base as a dating pool.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:47 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
I would agree with 'don't date where you work', but these women are customers and not employees.

A good rule of thumb so you don't become work place gossip is to keep you're dating life private, especially with the scenario you've described.

I'll wager a bet if you make it known you'll be the subject of someones ridicule, either behind your back if not to your face.

Some of your other questions are subjective. Age aside...attractions can be superficial in the beginning. You really don't know where any relationship will go or how seriously anyone's interest until you get to know them.

Age is just a number. I wonder if Demi Moore has a different take or regrets on age difference relationships and marriages now?

Old 11-20-2012, 02:38 AM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,296 times
If you're a guy messing with a woman in a no-strings sense, you're taking a chance she's a bunny boiler, no matter what age she is.

Does this seem a smart risk to take with your company's customers?

If so, proceed.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:05 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I am 59 and probably the youngest age I could consider would be upper 40's, like 10 years younger, but I actually prefer men my age or a little bit older. Romance and work do not go well together. The last thing you need is to get involved with one of these women and then break it off and still have to deal with her all week. Even worse than that is if you break up with her and then date another co-worker, your life will become hell. Sure older women have flings, but most do not. Be careful where you are treading.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:02 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
I've said this before: what makes you so sure they're interested? Women in their 40's are often very comfortable with themselves and others. Just because they are looking at you, smile! and act all friendly-like does not mean they want you.

I talk to younger men at work all the time. Sure they're cute. And it puzzles the heck out of me why they're behaving like we're all of a sudden wanting to get passionate together.

In other words, don't read too much into it.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:04 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,632 times
What about the 60 year olds??? Are they looking at you? Do you reckon a mature woman of 68 would be happy with a fling or would she want to settle? Sorry, I am in my 40s and I am acting so immature.

Its just a number....to a certain extent. Go with you gut feelings.....use your head! IMO

Old 11-20-2012, 07:58 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter337 View Post
Hello, I have a question that I would like to hear from women in their 40s or later. I am a 30 year old male. At my job I have noticed that older women are attracted to me. I always catch them glancing at me. At least three of them I know for sure are interested in me based on how they look at me and how they act when I happen to be in close proximity or I'm talking to them. I'm attracted to some of these women and I'm considering asking one of them out on a date, but I had a few concerns I'd like to address. An important piece of data to know is that the nature of my job is based on customer relations. These women that I talk about actually work for a company that is my company's customers. This complicates things because I don't want to risk souring relations. So my questions are the following:

If an older woman is attracted to a much younger man, would she expect the relationship to be meaningful or can women in their 40s also have flings?

Would I create a weird work environment if my coworkers were aware of me dating an older woman?

I'm still young and I don't really have a strong desire to settle. What would happen if I dated one of these women and the relationship ended. How do mature women handle situations like that? And what if I then dated one of their coworkers? Can I expect a blowout or do mature women stay civil?

How would you feel dating a man in which the age difference is greater than my age and your children. For example, one woman that is attracted to me has teenage kids. Would that deter her from dating me?

I'm aware these questions sound stupid, like I'm some alien giving a questionnaire on how humans think. I just don't want to assume I know how a woman would react.
Let all of us older women collaborate, as we are basically all the same and of one collective mind, we will get back with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships