Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you date beneath you?
No, I only date up 6 35.29%
Once or twice but I loved them for what they had on the inside 5 29.41%
Yes, always - I want to be better one and turn heads 4 23.53%
I tried but couldn't get past them dragging me down 2 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 05:08 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Everyone has standards. Everyone has unwritten rules on who they would or wouldn't date.
Speak for yourself. You do not speak for everyone. You certainly do not speak for me.

I see no one as "beneath" me or "above" me. I evaluate every person individually on their own merits as individuals and do not put them in "Yes/No" boxes.

The only person I judge with any standards is myself. And the only standards I judge myself against are the person I was yesterday. I try to improve there person I am today over the person I was yesterday in some way. Be it physically, mentally or whatever. The only person I ever judge as being "better" or "worse" than me - is the me I was before now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 06:15 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
I think this is admirable but a bit utopia-ish. When choosing partners, many people consider the other person's career, wealth and status along with attraction. A few take it to extremes and date someone ONLY for those reasons, but that is not the majority. Most would not refuse the opportunity to date 'up'
You can have these dating standards while not view said person as beneath you. The statement is nonsense where it pertains to finances, education, etc. A man I view as beneath me is one who harms either verbally or physically. That's independent of SES.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:57 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,282,640 times
I can't vote in this poll either. This "beneath you" is a lot of crap.
I never consider wealth, success, or if she drives a nice car. Those things mean nothing to me.

I rarely date but I am interested. A date is a big deal to me. A match is very difficult whether casual dating or a relationship. I'm not into one night stands so even if I go out on a date I would have to sense there is a chance something will work out. No big deal if it doesn't as the reality is chances are great that it won't.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:54 PM

29 posts, read 28,386 times
I don't understand how you can think someone is beneath you Like, why do you think you're better than them? What makes you so high and mighty?

Old 11-22-2012, 06:45 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
I certainly have standards, or else I might actually be dating regularly. But I'm really hesitant to say the people I don't want to date are "beneath me". That phrase really holds a lot of arrogance, in my opinion. I've known a lot of women I had no desire to date, and in fact if they had asked me I would have turned them down. Yet if anything I felt they were too good for me, even though I wasn't attracted to them in any way.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:52 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,635 times
Beneath me ? lol !

That sounds SO snobby and insecure.

We're all human- and I personally do not consider anyone above/below me ... I find people who think with that mentality to be a bit alarming. Those are the types you want to steer clear of. Mostly because they are negative, hateful, and miserable.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:38 PM

368 posts, read 577,539 times
Only In terms of physical attraction, I only date women I deem equally attractive as me or more.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:50 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
There is no "other" option.

I try not to date "below." Nor do I really attempt to date "above," either. I'm all about "water seeks its own level." But that's me. Others can do what they want.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:12 PM

245 posts, read 385,991 times
The truth is everyone dates up and down in every relationship. We trade our negatives for others positives and so do they. It's a matter of it they have got what we want and we have what they don't have and they want. But overall it should even up.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:32 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
Beneath me ? lol !

That sounds SO snobby and insecure.

We're all human- and I personally do not consider anyone above/below me ... I find people who think with that mentality to be a bit alarming. Those are the types you want to steer clear of. Mostly because they are negative, hateful, and miserable.
This is a VERY attractive attitude.

I'll be honest. I would almost want to date you based on you saying this alone. I don't even know if you're a woman.

Rare attitude, even if you don't fully practice it, it makes a huge difference if you believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships