Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 01:21 PM

1,837 posts, read 2,015,394 times

Advertisements

I will go places with family members who don't welcome my husband's presence, but a male friend falls into an entirely different category. He has no business pressuring your wife to attend a late night function without you. If she insists on attending, I agree that the taxi home is the best solution, particularly as you need to work the next day. I think she should stay home, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 01:56 PM

629 posts, read 1,232,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Give her money for a taxi if you're worried about her safety at 2 a.m.
Moneys a little tight and the price for a cab ride from where they will be to here will be pretty expensive. A one hour train ride is a pretty expensive cab ride. If they were close enough for a decent priced cab ride then this choice would've been a no brainer.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:19 PM

11,770 posts, read 11,988,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
I will go places with family members who don't welcome my husband's presence, but a male friend falls into an entirely different category. He has no business pressuring your wife to attend a late night function without you. If she insists on attending, I agree that the taxi home is the best solution, particularly as you need to work the next day. I think she should stay home, though.
The more I think about this, the more I agree with the bolded, above. For some reason, my gut doesn't give me such a good feeling about this male friend and why he doesn't like you/doesn't want you around.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:28 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,284,946 times
Honestly, I would not go without my husband. When I was married, I was in love and wanted to be with my husband. So...I find your wife's thought process odd. And how do you know this guy does not like you?

Old 11-22-2012, 02:32 PM

11,770 posts, read 11,988,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Honestly, I would not go without my husband. When I was married, I was in love and wanted to be with my husband. So...I find your wife's thought process odd. And how do you know this guy does not like you?
Good point. I would not be thrilled with my SO (fiance) going out with a group of single female friends and leaving me sitting at home late at night either. As a single person, I wouldn't invite opposite sex, married friends to go out and not include their spouses.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:39 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,927,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
A married woman should NOT be hanging out and drinking with her male friends.
Really? What year is it, 1954? I don't see an issue with your wife having her own friends (and yes--even male friends--sheeesh!). But, I do agree with the others who've suggested you go with her, and you both leave early enough for you to feel fresh going to work the next morning. C O M P R O M I S E....is what it's all about.

Oh, and that guy friend she has that doesn't like you---find out why he doesn't like you being around. He sounds like a hose bag...

Old 11-22-2012, 04:44 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,322,103 times
Don't know where you live, but as a single woman, I'd ride the "vomit comet" (the last train out of NYC headed to Trenton) on my own when I lived back East all the time when I'd go into the city to meet friends or see concerts. I NEVER even had a hint of a problem. Some cities are dangerous, but you don't specify where you are from

I'd be cranky if my significant other told me it was too dangerous for me to hang with my buddies, just for a night out of drinking. Of course, I don't drink that much, so it's not like I'm that impaired when I head out for the night. But your wife is an adult - why don't you trust her judgment with regard to her safety? Has she behaved unwisely in the past?

Look, I'd be more worried why this guy doesn't like you. I have NEVER had one of my male friends tell me they didn't like one of my romantic partners. They simply wouldn't dream of it unless the guy treated me poorly - seriously, I think they'd cut out their own tongues first. They've told me after a breakup that they didn't think a guy was right for me, but that's about it. And even when they weren't thrilled with the significant other, they treated him with absolute friendliness and respect. So either you're behaving in a hostile or inappropriate way OR this guy just isn't a very good friend or is highly immature (which sounds entirely possible).

If you're that jacked up about this and so worried, then attend and both of you go home early. Her friends won't see anything odd about that, in my opinion - that's just life. Spouses come out with their husbands/wives, and sometimes a married couple goes home early together if one of them has something to do the next day. But see how your wife feels about this plan first.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:25 PM

11,380 posts, read 24,388,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami46 View Post
I guess I'll just go and deal with it. But we'll have to bail by midnight since I have work early in the morning. Another awkward situation when I pull her from her group of friends so we can go home. Ugh.
No responsible, grown adult needs to stay out drinking till 2am. And no husband or wife should resent their partner having reasonable expectations of going home at a reasonable hour. Sure, marriage takes many forms, but it's not a good sign if your wife cares more about how her friends feel than how her husband does.

And I'm not saying its wrong to go out and have a good time with friends. But a marriage is more important than your social life. Your wife should know this, right?

Old 11-22-2012, 06:27 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,872,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
And I'm not saying its wrong to go out and have a good time with friends. But a marriage is more important than your social life. Your wife should know this, right?
And a boring social life can kill a relationship

Old 11-22-2012, 06:31 PM

11,380 posts, read 24,388,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
And a boring social life can kill a relationship
The two are not mutually exclusive. You simply need to keep your priorities in the right order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships