Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 02:09 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I get a ton of that living in Colorado. I've previously lived in VA, OH, IA, and WA and in all of those places, my dry and snarky, straight-face humor thing works. People get it. And they...laugh! Not here. I get a lot of blank looks. And the thing that sucks about jokes, once you have to explain them, they are automatically not funny. *sigh*
You need to move to England my friend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 02:19 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
You need to move to England my friend
Oh, I wish. English humor is the best thing ever. I mean, let's face it, no one has ever defined funny as perfectly as Monty Python.

I think, if I were not married, and if I were setting up an online dating profile...

I'd describe myself as a snarky brunette (yes, I love that word, snarky), intellectual, Capricorn. A weird combination of geeky, down-to-earth, and yet sometimes sophisticated, but never afraid to laugh at myself. 5'3", average build, but small boobs. Because tattoos are cooler than implants, so there. Friends with many, enemy of none. Drama-free.

Seeking a tattooed Cancer male with a cool accent (Brit, Irish, Scots, Aussie, NZ) who wants to go see lots of GWAR concerts with me, watch Dr. Who, and play D&D. You must love your mother but not live in her basement.

LOL...who am I kidding, I'm gonna be with my old man for-EVER...aurrrgghhh...

Old 11-28-2012, 02:25 PM

904 posts, read 1,382,190 times
Snarky is a fantastic word. My first pet name for my wife was "My snarky little *****."

Old 11-28-2012, 02:28 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,562 times
Quote:
Oh, I wish. English humor is the best thing ever. I mean, let's face it, no one has ever defined funny as perfectly as Monty Python.

I think, if I were not married, and if I were setting up an online dating profile...

I'd describe myself as a snarky brunette (yes, I love that word, snarky), intellectual, Capricorn. A weird combination of geeky, down-to-earth, and yet sometimes sophisticated, but never afraid to laugh at myself. 5'3", average build, but small boobs. Because tattoos are cooler than implants, so there. Friends with many, enemy of none. Drama-free.

Seeking a tattooed Cancer male with a cool accent (Brit, Irish, Scots, Aussie, NZ) who wants to go see lots of GWAR concerts with me, watch Dr. Who, and play D&D. You must love your mother but not live in her basement.

LOL...who am I kidding, I'm gonna be with my old man for-EVER...aurrrgghhh...
Do people really put much stock in this sign stuff? I know the Chinese are very superstitious when it comes to astrological signs but I thought Westerners did it only for fun :P.

Anyway, you sound pretty awesome, except for the basement thing. That's a major dealbreaker for me. Any lady I date has to be ok with the fact I've built an entire castle in my mother's basement, complete with moat, portcullis, boiling oil, arrow slits and crenelations. It's vitally important to ensure my personal safety and protect me from the ravaging barbarian hordes of real life.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Do people really put much stock in this sign stuff? I know the Chinese are very superstitious when it comes to astrological signs but I thought Westerners did it only for fun :P.

Anyway, you sound pretty awesome, except for the basement thing. That's a major dealbreaker for me. Any lady I date has to be ok with the fact I've built an entire castle in my mother's basement, complete with moat, portcullis, boiling oil, arrow slits and crenelations. It's vitally important to ensure my personal safety and protect me from the ravaging barbarian hordes of real life.

That's awesome. Do you have gargoyles? I do. They hang out on a ledge among the plants over the living room...

As for the sign stuff, part of that was me trying to make it "sound" like a personal ad, you know "Scorpio likes long walks on the beach" or whatever it is the kids are doing these days LOL...

But seriously, some Americans completely disregard it. Some are really, REALLY into it (mostly old hippies, "witches", whatever.) Some, like me, are in the middle of that somewhere. I don't care for horoscopes or anything that claims to predict the future. But when I read generalizations about personalities based on this stuff, while I don't logically want to believe it, some of it just seems sort of true. Every dear friend I've ever had, and especially those friendships spiced with just the wee pinch of fun sexual tension, has been a Cancer. I've adored most of the ones I've met, male or female. And almost everything I've read about Capricorns seems true about me. A phrase I once read sums it up: "A Capricorn in a serious relationship will absolutely need to be in charge and will probably take over your life. But, if you can deal with that, you should probably let them, because they will never, ever lead you astray." (I manage the household finances and all major plans and decisions, and we're very prosperous.) That sort of thing.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:44 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times
Quote:
I get a ton of that living in Colorado. I've previously lived in VA, OH, IA, and WA and in all of those places, my dry and snarky, straight-face humor thing works. People get it. And they...laugh! Not here. I get a lot of blank looks. And the thing that sucks about jokes, once you have to explain them, they are automatically not funny. *sigh*
There really are not a lot of things more disappointing than a great snarky comment that goes sailing right over someone's head. I hate lost sarcasm.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:04 PM

691 posts, read 1,427,145 times
In my area, most of the female profiles on POF are hilarious. Some of them even have headlines saying how the site is filled with nothing but creeps; yet if they're so great what are they doing there? They want to be taken seriously, yet their profile is filled with misspellings, text speak and grammatical errors. Most of them claim they don't want random hookups, yet all their pics have shots of their cleavage showing.

"Tired of the games" = "I'm really a drama queen, and hard to get along with"

"Not here for sex! I'm not that type of girl!" = "I'm easy and been with dozens of guys"

"Sick of liars/cheaters" = "I've been abused by lots of guys, and now I'm really bitter, and I will never trust you, so you will have to deal with my insecurities"

"I'm a student" = "I need to find a guy who will assume my 100K student loan debt, and I'm also on the six, seven, or eight-year plan"

"I've made bad choices" = "I'm an idiot who will make the same mistakes over and again, only you're supposed to deal with it or else"

And to be fair I'm sure most of the guy profiles are like this too, but since I'm a guy I can't see the male profiles.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamCharger1985 View Post
In my area, most of the female profiles on POF are hilarious. Some of them even have headlines saying how the site is filled with nothing but creeps; yet if they're so great what are they doing there? Most of them claim they don't want random hookups, yet all their pics have shots of their cleavage showing.

"Tired of the games" = "I'm really a drama queen, and hard to get along with"

"Not here for sex! I'm not that type of girl!" = "I'm easy and been with dozens of guys"

"Sick of liars/cheaters" = "I've been abused by lots of guys, and now I will never trust you"

"I'm a student" = "I need to find a guy who will assume my 100K student loan debt"

"I've made bad choices" = "I'm an idiot who will make the same mistakes over and again, only you're supposed to deal with it or else"
There are times I have wondered, if men prefer women who are inexperienced, innocent, or even virgins, simply because having not been used and hurt before, they will trust you and therefore be an easy mark for your game. In other words, she'll still believe your bull****.

I just wish people could be considerate and straightforward with each other. I get tired of listening to the single gals in my office talk about the dating game...

Old 11-28-2012, 03:21 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,463 times
Quote:

I just wish people could be considerate and straightforward with each other. I get tired of listening to the single gals in my office talk about the dating game...
Being straightforward has bitten me in the ass more than once. "Sorry, I just don't see this working between us, and I'd hate to waste more of your time" after one date resulted in me being called a heartless *****.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo28 View Post
Being straightforward has bitten me in the ass more than once. "Sorry, I just don't see this working between us, and I'd hate to waste more of your time" after one date resulted in me being called a heartless *****.
Hm. Well, from this brief description, I'd say this person would react poorly to not getting exactly what he thought he wanted, no matter how you tried to handle it.

A lot of males don't get (I think) that just because you're looking for a guy, and he is a guy, doesn't mean he's the guy that you are looking for. And it need not mean that there is anything wrong with him.

Don't turn that response back on yourself and think you need to change to better suit "what men want"...he handled rejection poorly. It happens. It says worse things for his future, than for yours, especially if you're not seeing him anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships