Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 10:12 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times

Advertisements

Don't worry, 2m, just bring the cats with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 10:16 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Don't worry, 2m, just bring the cats with you.
Whose going to take care of the dogs, goats, pigs, horses, chickens, ducks, turkeys and guineas? If I have to go, I'd rather take the dogs with me.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:21 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,158,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinley View Post
Just remember that most dogs for sale in pet shops comes from puppy mills -- horrible places. ASPCA | Puppy Mill FAQ

You can easily find the kind of dog you want in the ASPCA or any animal shelter. If you want a specific breed, they can usually help you locate one in another shelter. There are also rescue centers for specific breed, like Pit Bull Rescue, Boston Terrier Rescue, etc. I'm sure there are loads of rescue centers in your area.
Oh sorry, yes I meant get one from the shelter/SPCA. I don't really like pedigree dogs anyway, they tend to be duller and prone to genetic difficulties, like the European royal families. All three of my dogs at home (one passed away) are mutts. Two we picked up from the train station, and one just followed my dad home and no one ever claimed her even though we put up posters.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:26 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Oh sorry, yes I meant get one from the shelter/SPCA. I don't really like pedigree dogs anyway, they tend to be duller and prone to genetic difficulties, like the European royal families. All three of my dogs at home (one passed away) are mutts. Two we picked up from the train station, and one just followed my dad home and no one ever claimed her even though we put up posters.

Now thats sexy!

Old 11-26-2012, 10:47 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,731 times
I've always had cats because growing up the apartment complex we lived in didn't allow dogs.

Not to mention, cats are a lot less maintenance than dogs. I can leave the cat alone for a weekend and not worry whereas a dog you need to find a sitter just like a child.

I've met guys in my time who were either allergic or completely freaked out by cats. I don't need either in my life. Luckily little Jinx and my BF have a mutual love of each other.

So if you don't like him, and think I am a crazy cat lady, Jinx is not amused.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,606,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Not to mention, cats are a lot less maintenance than dogs. I can leave the cat alone for a weekend and not worry whereas a dog you need to find a sitter just like a child.
I know some people leave their cat home alone for days but I'd never leave mine alone. I've been on one vacation since I've had her and I paid a relative to stay at my place and watch her like a baby. lol

Old 11-26-2012, 11:08 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,609,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I know some people leave their cat home alone for days but I'd never leave mine alone. I've been on one vacation since I've had her and I paid a relative to stay at my place and watch her like a baby. lol
The most I would leave my cat alone for is 2 days max. Anything longer than that I either have someone watch the cat or bring it to my parents.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:15 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,694,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
The most I would leave my cat alone for is 2 days max. Anything longer than that I either have someone watch the cat or bring it to my parents.

It's actually preferrable to putting them in a kennel for a few days. Owners think they are doing their cats a favor by putting them in kennels while they go on holidays, but most times they leave with fleas and cat-herpes (the cats, not the owners). It is much safer to leave them home with bowls of food

Old 11-26-2012, 03:47 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
There is no such "double standard". You are confused. I've never heard that men with dogs are sexy (where do you get that??). In fact, I would prefer a guy without pets, and certainly without dogs. My my BF has 2 dogs...so it's not a dealbreaker, but life would be much easier without them. But he loves them, so...I deal with it. As far as "crazy cat lady", that would normally refer to a woman with a house full of cats...like 10 or something.

it's been the punchline of numerous commercials and comedies alike. A single guy goes out and buys a dog to attract women in a park, etc. because 'most' women are suckers for puppies....So you never heard of this before? First time for everything I guess...

Old 11-26-2012, 06:13 PM

37,604 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So, presently I have 7 cats.... One, that I like, lives in the barn.
Okay, farm/barn animals don't count as far as I'm concerned. !5 cats on a farm is typical, and frankly you need that many to control the mice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy84 View Post
I could never get past the idea of a litter box.
Rather than having to walk the dog outside? Several times a day? No way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Walking a dog when it's 10 degrees out, walking around with poo in a bag, shoveling frozen poo in the snow ... we pick our battles.
You got that right!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships