Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 12:31 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Not to mention, cats are a lot less maintenance than dogs. I can leave the cat alone for a weekend and not worry whereas a dog you need to find a sitter just like a child.

You think cats are more low maintenance than dogs because on the off chance you leave town for a couple of days, you can just leave it by itself?

Interesting.

We rarely leave town, and when we do...it's rarely for less than a week. Guess that makes that point irrelevent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 12:32 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,122 times
Lowest maintenance are bacteria. Leave them on the leash, or off the leash, it doesn't seem to matter. The buggers seem happier and ten thousand times as numerous when you come back.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:33 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
females tend to treat cats like children
males tend to treat dogs like buddies

this is where the "creepiness" comes from for many

leaving my cat for weeks alone at a time would not only leave my house a mess of shed fur but also leave the litter area reaking of cat urine. the only difference i see to cats and dogs "cleanliness" comes with how much space you have for them to live in.

Last edited by rego00123; 11-27-2012 at 12:45 AM..

Old 11-27-2012, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
females tend to treat cats like children
males tend to treat dogs like buddies

this is where the "creepiness" comes from for many

leaving my cat for weeks alone at a time would not only leave my house a mess of shed fur but also leave the litter area reaking of cat urine. the only difference i see to cats and dogs "cleanliness" comes with how much space you have for them to live in.
This is a very good point.
In fact, I think women in general tend to treat pets like babies.
I never understood that.
Before my kid was born, everyone told me how I wouldn't like my dog anymore.
100% NOT TRUE...as I didn't think of my dog as my child. I thought of her as my good buddy.
So my feelings for my dog(s) haven't change one bit.

However, many women I know TOTALLY changed the way they felt about their animals once they had children.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:42 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,152,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Are you offended by this double standard (primarily propogated by men)?
I would hope that people have more important things to think about than to get 'offended' by crap like this.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:57 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This is a very good point.
In fact, I think women in general tend to treat pets like babies.
I never understood that.
Before my kid was born, everyone told me how I wouldn't like my dog anymore.
100% NOT TRUE...as I didn't think of my dog as my child. I thought of her as my good buddy.
So my feelings for my dog(s) haven't change one bit.

However, many women I know TOTALLY changed the way they felt about their animals once they had children.

I've seen the poor pets get kicked to the curb by both parents once the baby arrived. I agree more so with the mother. This is probably because the mother usually takes a stronger role in caring for the child at this stage.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I've seen the poor pets get kicked to the curb by both parents once the baby arrived. I agree more so with the mother. This is probably because the mother usually takes a stronger role in caring for the child at this stage.
It's sick.
Hell, my baby is IN LOVE with my dog.
It's his first freakin' word - Doggie.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:21 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You think cats are more low maintenance than dogs because on the off chance you leave town for a couple of days, you can just leave it by itself?

Interesting.

We rarely leave town, and when we do...it's rarely for less than a week. Guess that makes that point irrelevent.
Oh HELL yeah. I've had cats all my life, (though none now) and my BF has dogs. No freaking comparison. None. I'll never have have a dog - it's like having a child! And I've been there, done that!

Old 11-28-2012, 06:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Default cats

I grew up in a rural setting and every time my step father banished the cats because they did not sufficiently worship him the rats moved into the basement and the squirrels into the attic. I guess they knew they were moving in with someone like them. Eventually a stray cat, usually pregnant, would move into this happy hunting ground and the rodents would go away. Unfortunately the same did not apply to the step father.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Oh HELL yeah. I've had cats all my life, (though none now) and my BF has dogs. No freaking comparison. None. I'll never have have a dog - it's like having a child! And I've been there, done that!
Lemme see...
With Rio (my dog who died this year)...

You let her out in the morning.
You let her out in the evening.
You feed her once a day.
You brush her once a week.
You wash her once a month or so.
You take her to the vet once a year.

Didn't bite, chew, or have accidents in the house.

Yeah, real high maintenance for a true best friend and a USEFUL animal to have around the house (alert bark/deterrent, keep your toes warm, stress reliever, watch/herd the baby).

Of course, we did lots more with her because it was fun for us all (walks, frisbee, dog park, car rides, etc).

Any more low maintenance...might as well get a potted plant.
A truly well-trained dog is low maintenance and a true asset in the home (rather than an adornment). I find the people who are spending excessive time dealing with their dogs tend to be the people who never trained them. Rio could practically understand English and knew how to tell us when she wanted out (for an unscheduled potty break) or was hungry or even when our puppy fell in the pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships