Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 02:24 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post

I can say, however, that I only became friends with them because I was originally pursuing them romantically. It just happened to develop into friendship. I cant think of a time where I had a really close female friend that didnt first start out with me being romantically attracted to them.
That sounds dumb. If you want to date someone, ask them out from the get go.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:10 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Um, no. There are plenty of reasons a guy might change his mind about pursuing a chick and be a friend instead. First and easiest one being, she's taken already.

My favorite male friend, one of my favorite human beings, immediate family aside...flirted with me from the stage at a concert. As soon as I had a chance, I told him "wow, thanks, but I'm married." He was like, that's cool, well glad to have ya as a fan anyways, and we talked on and off for years...it's five years now and we're friends and nothing but friends. Turns out, he respects the whole marriage thing. Very impressed with my 15-year run, in fact.

Or maybe I just looked better in low light. lol

Old 11-29-2012, 02:16 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
True. It had better start this way and get to "Yay or nay" right away so you know where you stand and you can move on, wasting neither party's time.

There is nothing worse in interpersonal relationships than a lopsided male-female friendship where one is more infatuated with the other, or becomes more so along the way. Been there, done that. No thanks.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:49 PM

22 posts, read 48,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetomoveon12 View Post
I'm sorry to disappoint you all but men and women cannot be friends....sorry ladies.....the guy that you think is your "friend" is waiting for your current boyfriend/husband to mess up so he can be with you...
Hi,

I just want to put in my $.02. It can be done!! My best friend since I was 19 yo has been a male!! There has been no sexual tension between us! Guys & gals can be friends w/o the sex getting in the way!

Old 11-29-2012, 04:14 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Are you people ever going to quit digging up this dead horse? Men and Women CAN BE FRIENDS without any other motive but just to be FRIENDS. Cripes, grow up already, this is not 3rd grade and ADULTS who are mature generally act accordingly and treat their friends like friends.
I think the more realistic thought process here is the following:
Some people believe that men and women can not be just friends.
Some people believe that men and women CAN be just friends with no intention of ever hooking up/ dating/ etc.

I know at least 3 guys (one is extremely successful dating women, can get almost any wan he wants with out trying, one guy just loves being in relationships, good or bad, the other guy will date ANY woman that comes along, as long as he is having fun, he doesnt care) that will date/ sleep with/ engage romantic relationship wih almost any woman that they find attractive. UNLESS.... They have already tried it with that person. And even then, some WILL still sleep with the ex if the opportunity is there. (I have known men and women to do this)
I also know 2 women who also believe men and women can't be just friends. They have the 'knowledge' that if said woman were to become single or if already single, any guy they are friends with WILL pursue them romantically/ physically EVENTUALLY.

The people that refuse to acknowledge BOTH sides do actually exist are only considering things thru their own eyes, and not thru everyone's perspective.

So here is my truth:
Some people CAN be only friends with opposite sex, without EVER having sex, or being romantic.
Some people look at the opposite sex at romantic/ physical relationship material first, and only AFTER that avenue is exhausted, then a friendship MAY be possible. But, in most cases, these people cut off ties and although may he cordial, or consider someone an acquaintance, they will never truly consider that opposite sex person as a friend.

The question is, can YOU (not CSD in particular, but anyone reading my statement) handle the concept that BOTH conditions DO exist ?

Old 11-29-2012, 04:17 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
I think the more realistic thought process here is the following:
Some people believe that men and women can not be just friends.
Some people believe that men and women CAN be just friends with no intention of ever hooking up/ dating/ etc.

I know at least 3 guys (one is extremely successful dating women, can get almost any wan he wants with out trying, one guy just loves being in relationships, good or bad, the other guy will date ANY woman that comes along, as long as he is having fun, he doesnt care) that will date/ sleep with/ engage romantic relationship wih almost any woman that they find attractive. UNLESS.... They have already tried it with that person. And even then, some WILL still sleep with the ex if the opportunity is there. (I have known men and women to do this)
I also know 2 women who also believe men and women can't be just friends. They have the 'knowledge' that if said woman were to become single or if already single, any guy they are friends with WILL pursue them romantically/ physically EVENTUALLY.

The people that refuse to acknowledge BOTH sides do actually exist are only considering things thru their own eyes, and not thru everyone's perspective.

So here is my truth:
Some people CAN be only friends with opposite sex, without EVER having sex, or being romantic.
Some people look at the opposite sex at romantic/ physical relationship material first, and only AFTER that avenue is exhausted, then a friendship MAY be possible. But, in most cases, these people cut off ties and although may he cordial, or consider someone an acquaintance, they will never truly consider that opposite sex person as a friend.

The question is, can YOU (not CSD in particular, but anyone reading my statement) handle the concept that BOTH conditions DO exist ?
Yeah. I can it's not that hard to accept for someone who is open minded and not so rigidly black and white in their thinking.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:55 PM

230 posts, read 526,034 times
Well what I heard is that whenever a man and woman are friends, at least one of them is attracted to each other. Whaddaya think?

Old 12-02-2012, 07:28 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,023 times
If anything, the woman that you think is your "friend" is simply waiting for you to bone her. :chuckles:

Old 12-02-2012, 07:36 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
I often wish I had platonic male friends. I just don't know how to make that happen.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:18 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I often wish I had platonic male friends. I just don't know how to make that happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships