Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 03:30 PM

11 posts, read 6,241 times

Advertisements

Me and the guy I'm with have known each other since 2010 we broke up mid 2011 and have been on and off twice. This last time we have been on has been on for 1 1/2 years. I feel like a lot of our problems come from communication but who knows maybe we are just bad for each-other. When we get along we get along so well but when there is a fight its REALLY BAD. I'm 33 and so is he.
My dad died last week, my boyfriend has been out of town for work for a month. Well when my dad died I didn't know how I felt because my dad never did anything for me . I talked to my boyfriend and he asked me how I was and I told him I wasn't really sure. It just felt strange now knowing my dad is dead and I didn't really get to know who he was. I really started to miss my boyfriend a lot and just wanted to be with him. Well my boyfriend was due back yesterday from work and he asked me take off of work on Friday so that we could spend time together. I told him why can't we just spend Saturday and Sunday together because thats when I'm off and I can't just take a day off of work at one days notice. He says he didn't know he would be back early. I told him it still didn't matter,I need more notice to take off of work. It made me upset that he said that on Saturday he had "errands to run". I started to tell him I had a death in the family and I didn't even take off of work for that and BOOM he hung his phone in the middle of my sentence. I couldn't believe it. I was so shocked I called back...no answer I texted..no answer. And that was yesterday around 2:30pm and I haven't heard from him since. He is back in town so not only have I not seen him for a month but now we aren't talking? He is very busy at work I get that but this is ridiculous. I'm thinking I should just break up with him? I mean isn't he basically breaking up with me by ignoring me for so long? Thanks everyone for your input. This is my first post here and I appreciate you reading my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 03:33 PM

150 posts, read 172,266 times
Wow. Why don't you two have a face to face talk first.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:35 PM

I would like that but he won't answer his phone. Won't text me back. I admit I called a lot because I have been under a lot of stress and that added on to it. It so miserable the way these past few days have been. Why is he doing this silent treatment thing? Why not just talk?

Old 02-28-2015, 03:44 PM

1,178 posts, read 1,361,642 times
I am so sorry about your dad, heavydreamer.
I would be concerned that maybe something is wrong with your boyfriend or his phone. Hopefully, he is alright. He may have forgotten to plug in his phone.
If it turns out that he is alright, as is his phone that is another story. It would be extremely hard for me to deal with that kind of insensitivity, particularly during the time when you need his support during this difficult time.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:47 PM

his phone is fine. I he got mad and hung up on me. So I am still trying to reach him and I can't believe he still hasn't reached out. I don't think I can be with someone who has done this to me.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:50 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,246,324 times
Sorry about your dad, I didn't have much to do with my own father but it was still a kick in the guts when he died.

Your SO sounds selfish beyond belief.

Maybe its your dad's gift to you, opening your eyes x

Old 02-28-2015, 03:50 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyDreamer View Post
his phone is fine. I he got mad and hung up on me. So I am still trying to reach him and I can't believe he still hasn't reached out. I don't think I can be with someone who has done this to me.
You need to make that decision for yourself. I know that I couldn't handle being with someone that did that to me - but that's me.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:56 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyDreamer View Post
I would like that but he won't answer his phone. Won't text me back. I admit I called a lot because I have been under a lot of stress and that added on to it. It so miserable the way these past few days have been. Why is he doing this silent treatment thing? Why not just talk?
His behavior is very immature, not really the way a 33 year old man should be behaving. He should have just done his errands on Friday, since you were at work anyway, clearing Saturday to spend with you.

Also, a BF of several years should be someone you can lean on during a time of grief. He should be offering you extra affection and care during this time, not hanging up on you and refusing to answer your texts.

It doesn't sound like a healthy relationship to me.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:58 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Sorry about your dad, I didn't have much to do with my own father but it was still a kick in the guts when he died.

Your SO sounds selfish beyond belief.

Maybe its your dad's gift to you, opening your eyes x
This. It sounds like you're not a good match. In fact, I wonder if your bf may have some of the same qualities as your dad, in terms of not being there for you.

It's not going to work out. Too bad you spent so many years going back and forth with this guy. Best not to waste any more time, and find someone who can be there for you when you need him. Lots of guys would love to do that for an SO.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:04 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,832,148 times
I'm so sorry for your loss, HeavyDreamer.

First, stop making multiple calls to your boyfriend. He will return your call(s) when he's ready to. Continuing to call him serves no purpose and is probably more counter productive than anything else.

Second, decide if your relationship is meeting your needs and if his behavior is something you can accept. Is he really the kind of person you want to have by your side, going through life's ups and downs? If not, it might be time to cut your losses and move on.

It doesn't sound like he cares much for you, frankly. I'm sorry to be so blunt when you are grieving, but sometimes it's during situations like this (when you really need him) is when you see the person for who they really are and how much they care (or not, in this case).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships