Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 12:27 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,168,775 times

Advertisements

This is one reason I dislike facebook.

It makes everyone look like they have this fabulous, perfect, and happy life. Very few people will share with you the huge blowups they are having with their significant others, and other serious life problems. This makes people look perfect and happy, seeing only their relationship status and usually only posting the great things about their lives. FB is essentially a brag fest with occasional chatting. People tend to post their best pictures, untag the worst, etc.

As for feeling bad about being single, if you don't think it's Facebook influencing you, you need to do some serious soul searching. Why are you upset about being single? Are you bored? Depressed? Find the root of the problem, because filling the void with a partner does not solve these problems, I promise. I firmly believe relationships should complement an already complete person, they are the healthiest. Don't let Facebook sink you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 12:52 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,394,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I tend to avoid Facebook a lot because I feel ostracized online because of my single status. Everyone is married, engaged or with someone. I just found out my younger cousin is now getting married and it is upsetting me. It's one thing that almost everyone around my age is married but now people 10-20 years younger than me are getting married. I know if taco man doesn't like me I will never find anyone and it depresses me.
Relax. Facebook can have that effect, both documented and commonsensically. If you're on it, try to stock it up with singles, divorced, and widowed types. They take the time to interact with you on your posts, and vice-versa. I had one married chick who went to undergrad with me. She lived near me, I spoke with her daily, and she was a smoker/coffee drinker without a care in the world. She moved to the heartland because of her husband's job. She is now really conservative, excessively so, and in one post showed her nails painted in the colors of the nearest professional football franchise she supported. It met with a barrage of "likes" from her fellow soccer moms. She never once commented or liked anything of mine, mostly travel related, with everything focused on others with children, until I put up some posts around the election. She went ballistic on me with entire paragraphs. When I basically wrote that her emotional and unsubstantiated posts because she can't pencil through anything, since she slept and/or smoked through her marketing curriculum, didn't hold water, that ended our FB link.

Yeah. I came up with a term for it - the "silence" on Facebook from certain people. I call it "breeder condescension." While I hated that term when I first heard it (1998), sometimes the shoe fits.

IIR, you're close enough to Chicago. You should be able to find someone to your liking there. The demographics you list should be represented.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:54 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,394,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
This is one reason I dislike facebook.

It makes everyone look like they have this fabulous, perfect, and happy life. Very few people will share with you the huge blowups they are having with their significant others, and other serious life problems. This makes people look perfect and happy, seeing only their relationship status and usually only posting the great things about their lives. FB is essentially a brag fest with occasional chatting. People tend to post their best pictures, untag the worst, etc.

As for feeling bad about being single, if you don't think it's Facebook influencing you, you need to do some serious soul searching. Why are you upset about being single? Are you bored? Depressed? Find the root of the problem, because filling the void with a partner does not solve these problems, I promise. I firmly believe relationships should complement an already complete person, they are the healthiest. Don't let Facebook sink you.
What a freakin' great post. About Facebook and about being single. True, FB is for putting one's best foot forward, and can be a smokescreen for the real deal and the not so pleasant stuff can be swept under the rug. As for being single, being coupled is often not the best bandage, either. Proceed with caution.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:45 PM

951 posts, read 1,141,972 times
Then open up a Pinterest account and pretend like me and dozens of other women out there.

...seriously, some people on FB overrate and overexpose the things in their lives. I tend to question those that post too many positive things because I know life is that great every freaken day. I also have those that btch and moan everyday. The only positive thing about those two is that they both sort of balance each other out.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:44 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,001,589 times
I have a friend who keeps posting happy pictures of her and her husband on FAKEBOOK. I am getting daily emails from her that she hates her life and wants to get out of her marriage as soon as she has the funds.

Don't believe anything on FAKEBOOK!

Yes, your cousins and other people get married, great. They might be split up before they paid off their wedding. Look at all the others who get divorced. Almost 50% of all American marriages are not holding up. What are you jealous about? Leave them their few happy years

Old 11-30-2012, 03:54 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
I tend to avoid Facebook a lot because I feel ostracized online because of my single status. Everyone is married, engaged or with someone. I just found out my younger cousin is now getting married and it is upsetting me. It's one thing that almost everyone around my age is married but now people 10-20 years younger than me are getting married. I know if taco man doesn't like me I will never find anyone and it depresses me.

Yes I like cats which is a good thing.
I'm starting to think you need to get out of your small town to a bigger city or a more cosmopolitan area, where it's not unusual to be single at 40. There are a lot of men who have been concentrating on their careers, and are only coming up for air and social activity at 40, wondering if there are any single, child-free women in their age group.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:07 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,692,774 times
I deactivated mines a year ago. I thought I couldn't do it but with their constant difficult interface it was easier. Deactivate girl/boy . Look on the darker bright side, according to statistics half them will be divorce soon anyway.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:38 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,116,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I have a friend who keeps posting happy pictures of her and her husband on FAKEBOOK. I am getting daily emails from her that she hates her life and wants to get out of her marriage as soon as she has the funds.

Don't believe anything on FAKEBOOK!

Yes, your cousins and other people get married, great. They might be split up before they paid off their wedding. Look at all the others who get divorced. Almost 50% of all American marriages are not holding up. What are you jealous about? Leave them their few happy years
Yep, I can believe this. I think people who are constantly posting happy pictures and gushing about their relationship are probably trying to compensate for something wrong. Couples I know that are actually happy don't express their true love to each other on Facebook - they love each other and they know it, they don't need to splash it on FB.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:02 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,902,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm starting to think you need to get out of your small town to a bigger city or a more cosmopolitan area, where it's not unusual to be single at 40. There are a lot of men who have been concentrating on their careers, and are only coming up for air and social activity at 40, wondering if there are any single, child-free women in their age group.
Luckily I live less than an hour from Chicago and when I worked there I met a lot of single people in their 40's, 50's and even older.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:10 PM

17,642 posts, read 22,665,622 times
Quote:

Yes I like cats which is a good thing.
Your looking in the wrong places. There are plenty of good men in our big, beautiful country & other countries...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships