Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 08:36 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times

Advertisements

Well, I am 35, no kids and never married. Been in a few good relationships but I ended my last one about 2 years ago, then right after we ended, I went through a period where I hooked up with a lot of women who had nothing in common with me, mostly for sex and fun but decided that it was not really what I wanted.

I guess my main dilemma is: I love being single and really enjoy my freedom but sometimes I feel a bit lonely, not incredibly lonely but like today, I stayed home all day and did not do much after work- just relaxed, went online and watched TV.

Most of my friends are married and I really did not want to be in their shoes. I can tell, they are mostly unhappy, broke and now with kids, they can't do much. I would hate to feel stuck!

I just got back from Brazil, I was there for 2 weeks and I got to see/meet a lot of beautiful women- only problem is, I don't seem to find any rational reason to be committed to any woman right now.

Honestly, it would be nice to have someone you could talk to and have fun with, and having sex more often would be nice too. On the other hand, I remember all the BS that comes with being in a relationship and I don't miss that part at ALL.

Is it natural to not know what you want at my age? Like I said, the married life is definitely not what I am looking for- I love being single and my freedom.

Also, I have not been actively looking for a girlfriend since I broke up with my ex, 2 year ago- About a year ago, I came to the conclusion that looking for a girlfriend is not the way to go- I believe in meeting people randomly and all of my ex-girlfriends, I met while I was not looking, therefore, I hate online dating and any other form of meeting people that does not seem "natural".

Once again, is it OK to not know what you want at my age? Like I said, I know getting married and having kids is not what I want but I would be open to a long term relationship without marriage/kids expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 08:38 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
No.

I have a single family friend is who good looking, quite successful and almost 45 yo male. He wanted to and has been living his life to the fullest and has had many good experiences along the way. The only problem is now he wants marriage and kids (kids especially bad) and is having a hard time finding a "good" wife. The younger women are too immature and sometimes flakey (his words, not mine) and the older ones aren't as tolerant of his shenanigans (also something he told me, not something I'm making up). He missed out but he is left with his memories and his successful career. He is still looking though.

Last edited by srjth; 12-17-2012 at 08:46 PM..

Old 12-17-2012, 08:39 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
"you neeeed some time...to get what ya need!"

Old 12-17-2012, 08:43 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Of course it's OK to not know what you want. It's your life.

I think it's better to not know what you want and be open to different things than know what you want and be blind to the other options in life.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:43 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
It's natural to want companionship. That desire gets stronger as you age. You find that after a while, you get tired of random interactions. Your pool of options narrows also as you age, and you find that the things that you want are different than when you were younger.

Understand that "all the BS that comes with relationships" does not come with all relationships, just the ones that don't work.

Don't be surprised to find yourself capitulating over the next several years if you keep up this same pattern of interaction.

If you find yourself lonely just during typical lonely times, though, then you're probably truly happy as a single.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:45 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post

I guess my main dilemma is: I love being single and really enjoy my freedom but sometimes I feel a bit lonely,

I don't seem to find any rational reason to be committed to any woman right now.

On the other hand, I remember all the BS that comes with being in a relationship and I don't miss that part at ALL.

Like I said, the married life is definitely not what I am looking for- I love being single and my freedom.

Once again, is it OK to not know what you want at my age? Like I said, I know getting married and having kids is not what I want but I would be open to a long term relationship without marriage/kids expectations.
Looks like to me you knowwhat you want. You want and enjoy being single. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. In fact, for you to force a relationship right now would be a waste of any womans time. Just date, and date casually, and don't date woman who are seeking relationships, because it sounds like at this point in your life, a relationship is the last thing you want right now.
Eventually you may meet someone that changes your mind, but from your OP, now isn't the time for that.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:46 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
What is confusing to you? Sounds to me like you know what you want. You want the benefits of being married (companionship and regular sex) without everything else that comes along with it, correct?

You just need to find someone like-minded. I would think people like yourself are few and far between so you just need to look a little harder/be a bit more patient.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:29 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
"you neeeed some time...to get what ya need!"
There is the other side to that Be careful what you ask for you just might get it.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:33 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
[b]Understand that "all the BS that comes with relationships" does not come with all relationships, just the ones that don't work.
This

Quote:
If you find yourself lonely just during typical lonely times, though, then you're probably truly happy as a single.
And this

Old 12-17-2012, 11:36 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,415,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Well, I am 35, no kids and never married. Been in a few good relationships but I ended my last one about 2 years ago, then right after we ended, I went through a period where I hooked up with a lot of women who had nothing in common with me, mostly for sex and fun but decided that it was not really what I wanted.

I guess my main dilemma is: I love being single and really enjoy my freedom but sometimes I feel a bit lonely, not incredibly lonely but like today, I stayed home all day and did not do much after work- just relaxed, went online and watched TV.

Most of my friends are married and I really did not want to be in their shoes. I can tell, they are mostly unhappy, broke and now with kids, they can't do much. I would hate to feel stuck!

I just got back from Brazil, I was there for 2 weeks and I got to see/meet a lot of beautiful women- only problem is, I don't seem to find any rational reason to be committed to any woman right now.

Honestly, it would be nice to have someone you could talk to and have fun with, and having sex more often would be nice too. On the other hand, I remember all the BS that comes with being in a relationship and I don't miss that part at ALL.

Is it natural to not know what you want at my age? Like I said, the married life is definitely not what I am looking for- I love being single and my freedom.

Also, I have not been actively looking for a girlfriend since I broke up with my ex, 2 year ago- About a year ago, I came to the conclusion that looking for a girlfriend is not the way to go- I believe in meeting people randomly and all of my ex-girlfriends, I met while I was not looking, therefore, I hate online dating and any other form of meeting people that does not seem "natural".

The last part is sorta contradictory- you don't know what you want but know that what you want is not what you want. So what do you want or not want?

Or do you feel like what you want is almost impossible?

Some chicks do like the lifestyle you want- in terms of what 'type' of woman this is, will all depend..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships