Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 02:58 PM

37 posts, read 66,779 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend dumped me two weeks ago after six years. I am madly in love with this girl and I am absolutely heartbroken. I have been doing well going out with the guys showing her I'm better off and having fun. We are 21 and 20, everyone was so jealous of us, we've traveled over the world, and were so happy. She told the girls that she's panicking that I've been the only guy, but then to me she basically said she's moving on. In class the other day, she was already asking for the friendship, and writing a ton of notes to me updating me the past two weeks that we haven't spoken. What advice can you guys give me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 02:59 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmiller View Post
My girlfriend dumped me two weeks ago after six years. I am madly in love with this girl and I am absolutely heartbroken. I have been doing well going out with the guys showing her I'm better off and having fun. We are 21 and 20, everyone was so jealous of us, we've traveled over the world, and were so happy. She told the girls that she's panicking that I've been the only guy, but then to me she basically said she's moving on. In class the other day, she was already asking for the friendship, and writing a ton of notes to me updating me the past two weeks that we haven't spoken. What advice can you guys give me?
forget about her and on to the next?

Old 12-01-2012, 03:00 PM

I wish I wasn't so in love with this girl basically. I wish I could go and be happy kissing other girls, but I was at the happiest point in my life this year.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:08 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
I wish I wasn't so in love with this girl basically. I wish I could go and be happy kissing other girls, but I was at the happiest point in my life this year.
get over it, if she left you it wasn't as good as you think it was. staying in love with someone who left you is the dumbest thing you can do. it should be mutual, and if its not just forget it and tell yourself to stop being like that

she doesn't love you, dont give her the time of day.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:08 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
Quote:
I know you're still hurting right now so telling you to "get over it" will be a waste of time.

At your age, 6 years is a long time.

Time will be your friend on this one. Don't try to get over her all at once. DO NOT start another relationship for t least 1 year. That doesn't mean don't date or talk to other girls but don't start an exclusive relationship. Take it a day at a time.

Question...when she's done seeking others....decides she wants you back....would you take her back? Ask yourself that question again in 6 months.

Good luck and hange with your friends.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:11 PM

Thank you Granny Sue, youre right. I CANT get over it. Whats so frustrating is that i WANT to be I just can't right now. She's my best friend and I am in love with her. I cannot wait until 6 months from now if nothing has happened because I am praying that I am 90% over her. I don't think i'll ever fully be over her. But yes, 6 years is long at our age, it just sucks cause nothing was wrong. She said it WASNT me and all her and that I am the best boyfriend a girl could find. I did everything for this girl.. She traveled to Hawaii, Disney, Paris, and Madrid and made a good group of friends all cause of me.. I'm not giving me brownie points but its my turn to be selfish. I jsut cant imagine her with anyone else. Hopefully she will miss me by not contacting her. Her family keeps saying itll work out and that they'll see me at christmas, but I am not giving into that. I'll see her family separately, but i am not being a friend that she can cry to and then go hook up with other dudes..

Old 12-01-2012, 03:20 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
I know you're still hurting right now so telling you to "get over it" will be a waste of time.

At your age, 6 years is a long time.

Time will be your friend on this one. Don't try to get over her all at once. DO NOT start another relationship for t least 1 year. That doesn't mean don't date or talk to other girls but don't start an exclusive relationship. Take it a day at a time.

Question...when she's done seeking others....decides she wants you back....would you take her back? Ask yourself that question again in 6 months.

Good luck and hange with your friends.
^This. It's a jolt emotionally. You spent much time with her and it's painful that it is not going to continue and this will take time to come to grips with fully and heal. You mentioned she wants to be friends-You need time for yourself. Switching from a relationship to just "friends" is not something that is done quickly. if she just needs space and decides to try getting back together time will tell.

You are young, Your whole life is ahead of you. Take this time to chill, reflect on what you want to do for yourself and hang with your friends. This is the time memories and experiences are made. Heck you have traveled to different parts of the world-At your age having done this is great. Don't stop learning new things, having new experiences and have fun just be safe and responsible. heartbreak is tough, But so are you-And this is not the end of all things my friend!

Old 12-01-2012, 03:22 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,575,758 times
Whatever you do, don't accept her offers of friendship. Do not be her friend.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:25 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,626 times
Find someone else ASAP and cut off all contact with her-my two cents.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:28 PM

Okay, I definitely won't be friends. It's just hard because all of my friends since I was really little have grown to be her friends too. I wish that I had been cooped up in an unhealthy relationship and could now go explore the world. But I have gotten to do so much with her, and now I can do even more. But I wish it made it easier to let go of her if she was some psycho girlfriend not letting me hang with the guys. I would hang with my friends away from her almost just as much as I just hung out with her the two of us. She doesn't deserve my friendship at all.. She just can't handle not telling me everything and I think that will make her miss me. My friends and family have all said I've been doing great handling this as I've been doing fine in school, working out a lot, and going out. It just sucks without her there and she seems to be handling it fine. I know deep down she's hurting, a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships